Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Wildfire and Gorsefire thread. [Ireland & International]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Smoke from gorse fires in Donegal showing up well on NASA Sat pic today.

xr5a8TT.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Smoke (FU) was reported for several hours in the Donegal Airport METARs today.

METAR EIDL 221400Z 15019KT CAVOK 21/08 Q0998=
    METAR EIDL 221330Z 16020KT 9999 FU NSC 21/09 Q0999=
    METAR EIDL 221300Z 17021KT 8000 FU NSC 20/07 Q0999=
    METAR EIDL 221230Z 16022KT 9000 FU NSC 20/07 Q0999=
    METAR EIDL 221200Z 15022KT 7000 FU NSC 20/07 Q0999=
    METAR EIDL 221130Z 15022KT 5000 FU NSC 19/06 Q0999=
    METAR EIDL 221100Z 14025KT 9999 FU NSC 18/07 Q1000=
    METAR EIDL 221030Z 16026KT 8000 FU NSC 18/07 Q1000=
    METAR EIDL 221000Z 15026KT 9999 FU NSC 18/07 Q1000=
    METAR EIDL 220930Z 15026KT CAVOK 17/07 Q1000=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

So as the day draws to a close it looks like we've seen several more gorse fires pop up throughout the day.

sOZl8BF.jpg

In Donegal it seems a lot of people are very unhappy at the states response, citing it as been far too slow and too late.

I'm seeing pictures of most of the locals out fighting the fires themselves with shovels. One fire crew got trapped. Unknown amount of property destroyed. Even private helicopters hired.

Army summoned too but they're saying it's contained for now.

Bit of a disaster.

D4xf6QOXoAAq_Y2.jpg

D4xpUFrXkAIbnIi.jpg

D4milqkXsAAx1hz.jpg

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-warn-border-works-road-in-killarney-closed-due-to-gorse-fire-919371.html

Killarney gorse fire.

Honestly, I feel like as a nation we aren't equipped for large scale wildfire operations. Our fire services seem largely under prepared. Not to mention every garda, ambulance and fire brigade in donegal is probably involved.

Resources are stretched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Huge plumes of smoke all day across west Donegal, seems to be under control now but was raging all day. A few helicopters doing the rounds but loads of tankers and farmers with slurry tanks flying about the roads so seems to have been a community effort more than anything.

Overheard someone speaking on the phone saying two of her neighbours houses were badly damaged but haven't heard more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Desiree Wailing Racket

I saw 2 from my house in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw one yesterday in West Mayo. It was well away from any houses so it was left to burn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Is this accurate I wonder that it broke out again today, no mention on RTE

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1120682783649804288

Is this accurate I wonder that it broke out again today, no mention on RTE

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1120682783649804288

Doubt it's accurate. Not seeing anything on twitter, or even on AA roadwatch for road closures.

More than likely that's from yesterday.

The fire radar linked above is still showing some orange spots. But I honestly don't quite understand how to read the map correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The ballyhoura mountains in kilfinane Co Limerick are ablaze,seen pictures on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Maulin Wicklow Mountains ablaze again tonight. Beside Powerscourt Waterfall. Can see the Fire line from my Attic Velux down near Bray Seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They need to catch the fire raisers and fine them heavily. I lived on the edge of the National Park in Kerry and one year there were fires in three directions. A terrible dawning/ The devastation to wild life is unthinkable.

Good article on the Journal.ie about gorsefires in Ireland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/wildfires-donegal-legislation-4606187-Apr2019/

Another thing I've noticed last year is the amount of fires I came across on the side banks of the motorway. I presume mostly from people chucking their cigarettes out the window.

Saw this this morning but couldn't post until home from work.

Orange forest fire warning issued by Dept. of Agriculture.

Condition: Orange - high fire risk

Warning Effective From 1200hrs 13/05/201

Effective Period Expires 1200hrs 17/05/2019

1sr767G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Do we have a noticeboard system as operated in many other countries whereby if you are entering a public park/forest/etc, you encounter a suitably placed board that informs anyone entering the area of the fire risk on that day?

warning-sign-AD4K9K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

No, I've never seen a sign like that. Coillte did put up "red warning - fire ban" notices at their Dublin mountain forests last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Rougies wrote: »
    No, I've never seen a sign like that. Coillte did put up "red warning - fire ban" notices at their Dublin mountain forests last year.

Could be a decent system to have so that visiting public to forests/parks can have an indication what level we are at, not just when it's at a danger level. Most people don't actively check online or wherever to see what the current status is so if everyone has to pass one of these signs entering a forest/park (most likely controlled or owned by Coillte or the government), the public would most likely take more heed. Maybe I'm being too optimistic as to how I think humans will perceive the signage and act accordingly :D

In comparison to other countries our national weather warnings are fairly lacking and awareness about things such as fire is pretty much non existent bar just a few people who happen to follow the dept of agriculture on twitter.

I was surprised to find that Met Éireann don't even have fire condition warnings on their website.

A system like that would be great, it could just be an attachment notice to the typical coillte information board found at the start of nearly all walking/biking trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

There was also a large gorse fire near Belmullet appearing on the fire map tuesday evening. Appears to be gone now.

Todays issue, as expected with the hot weather.

There are currently 5 noted fires in Ireland on firemaps, today

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#z:8;c:-7.6,53.2;d:2019-06-26..2019-06-27

D-FC3QHWsAEst8m.jpg:large

Meanwhile on mainland Europe the fires have hit Spain particularly hard.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/27/hundreds-of-firefighters-tackle-blaze-in-north-east-spain
    Firefighters battled wildfires at a scale not seen for 20 years in Spain and southern France was placed on unprecedented red alert as much of western Europe sweltered in an extreme early-summer heatwave on Thursday.
    With temperatures in northern Spain and southern France set to exceed 44C, governments urged their citizens to take the utmost precaution, warning that in some areas the worst was yet to come.

Advertisement