Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alp d'huez/ventoux holidays?

• 18-07-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Looking to see can I combine these two in a holiday next year. Just wondering if anyone has been before? Any info regarding airports in the region, or best airport to fly to and also accommodation options. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Yes I did this a few years ago and it was great. Briancon is a really good base. Its a very nice small city/town at the base of Col d'Izoard so its a great base for cycling Izoard, Galiber and Alp d'heuz. Amazing cycling around there.

We drove down to Bedoin to climb Mont Ventoux and stayed one night - its 3 hours plus away but a nice drive.

I drove to Briancon from Munich but have a look at Geneva also as an airport option. I'm actually going down next week for the last 3 mountain stages (cant wait! :-) ) and a mate from home is flying with Ryanair into Geneva and I'm picking him up there.

Can highly recommend going during the tour, its an amazing buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭eeimcaw

have done alpe d'huez in 2 different years and stayed in bourg d'oisian, lovely little town at the bottom of alpe d'huez. Fly into lyon with aer lingus and its about 2 hours in a car down. From there you can tackle 10+ climbs from bourg d'oisian.
    Looked at ventoux briefly but decided against it. You'd have to drive over which is about 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

+1 for Bourg-d'Oisans, so many great routes and climbs from there. There are a few bikes shops also so good choice for bike rentals.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1rGfN0qXxWPS_pU3gAhFUgtjCM0g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Allemond just up the road in the the Glandon direction is lovely too. Great outdoor pool for the kids. There's a big gang of vets (cyclists not veterinarians ... or ex soldiers:)) holiday there annually for a week's cycling.

WRT the Ventoux. -We had 5 weeks in the Alps a couple of years ago and got to know a local club cyclist. Living in St Jean de Maurienne with a smorgasbord of famous Cols on his doorstep - Mollard, Telegraph, Galibier, Madeleine, Croix de Fer, Glandon etc etc. And where's his favourite place to go on holidays? - Bedoin at the foot of the Ventoux! :D

So the Ventoux and its surrounds must be special!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Thanks for advice/tips folks. What would be the best time of year to go over?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

WMP wrote: »
    I drove to Briancon from Munich but have a look at Geneva also as an airport option. I'm actually going down next week for the last 3 mountain stages (cant wait! :-) ) and a mate from home is flying with Ryanair into Geneva and I'm picking him up

No he isn’t! Ryanair don’t fly in/out of Geneva, only Basel.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭eeimcaw

All the climbs open 1st week of June usual, weather dependent.

We went first year early June and got away with it as forecast was giving rain all week but never only rained one morning. Some climbs had just opened that week and was alot of snow at the top of galibier when we climbed it.

Went start of July this year and the weather was brilliant, was 30 degrees plus in the afternoon but it not so bad when your on the bike, trick is to get out in the morning early tho so you've most of your cycling done by about 1 o'clock.

Advertisement