Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got My First

• 14-01-2013 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

After stumbling across this forum I started reading up on it and decided to register.

I then went in search of some caches. I found my first one on Saturday. I moved on to find my second but couldn't find it. I spent that long looking for it I ran out of time and had to head home. I hope to find more in the future.

Do you remember your first? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well, technically my first DNF was about 3 or 4 years ago. A friend told me that he heard about this thing called geocaching, and he saw that there was one near enough to us so we went to look for this thing. We didn't have a GPS or a smartphone or any of that stuff, all we knew was there was something to find in a large enough general area. We didn't even know what we were looking for at all. So after a few minutes rooting around for nothing we decided that this geocaching malarky was "A big load of shíte" and we forgot about it for a few years.

We found it a few years later a good 200 or 300 metres away from where we looking back then. Not a hope we would have found it at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Nice One Dev
    It gets addictive.
    First one we went looking for we couldnt find it that was with the Iphone app.
    Then went on another and couldnt find that either.
    Not sure what we were expecting, Maybe for it to jump out at us or something.
    The second one was part of a series of 5 I think it was and although a bit P**sed off we decided to look for the second in the group and found it, then found the next 3 so decided to give the first one a go again. Still couldnt find it until my 6 year old shouted he had found it. So we went over expecting it to be another empty bottle, but he actually had found it.
    You kind of get used to the type of hiding places and some are pretty dam good, some sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

This was an accidental find by my sister one evening at Conolly's Folly, that led us to Geocaching in the first place! I couldn't get over how I'd never heard of it before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

For my sisters 30th birthday, she organised geocaching in Sligo. She split us into two groups of 5 and handed us a list of 7 geocaches that each team had to find. It reminded me of the Top Gear challenges as we raced around the lake, sending photos of ourselves with each cache as we found them. We bumped into each other half way around so it was a real race to the finish. After that I was hooked.
    Probably my most memorable cache was one which could only be got to by swimming out to an island off Crete.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

fletch wrote: »
    For my sisters 30th birthday, she organised geocaching in Sligo. She split us into two groups of 5 and handed us a list of 7 geocaches that each team had to find. It reminded me of the Top Gear challenges as we raced around the lake, sending photos of ourselves with each cache as we found them. We bumped into each other half way around so it was a real race to the finish. After that I was hooked.
    Probably my most memorable cache was one which could only be got to by swimming out to an island off Crete.

Ive found two altogether so far! I had exams when I firs started so I hadnt been able to explore for much.

I have to say..thats pretty cool that you could only swim out to get the cache! Im so amazed with the creativity of how you have to get to some caches!

• Advertisement
Advertisement