Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Hopefully get more qualified in the area of Mathematical deadliness.

I wouldn't mind being a crime fighting Astronaut who sleeps with many beautiful women either. I'll also be a medical doctor despite not having qualifications because I'm simply that cool.

But err, yes. Living own my own and being able to do things for myself would be great. Would also very enjoy getting involved in making something. Maybe a robot, or babies. That's almost as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I really haven't a clue. Hopefully I'll have more of an idea what I want to do then.
    The main thing is I hope to have either taken my year out to travel the world, something I've always wanted to do, I want to be on every continent.
    I hope I enjoyed the rest of college more than I am at the minute.
    Hopefully I'll have finished my arts degree and either gone on and done the higher diploma in education.
    Really, all I want is to be in a job working with people, I know I just don't want a desk job anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

I'm going to be beating the boys on me bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

5 years from now? I hope to be working in a job I like (preferably relating to the content of my degree/masters), in a relationship with someone amazing, to have gotten the travel bug out of my system for at least a while, and to run a Boston-qualifying marathon time (3:40:59 for females 18-34).

I don't want to think about 5 years from now though, because I'll be 30 then and that's a REALLY scary number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zonic.

playing senior football for Westmeath :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

I'll be 22, and hopefully finished college, convinced someone to employee me and finally worked up the courage to go out with the boy I've wanted to marry since i was like seven! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Final year of Medicine hopefully... Either that or a qualified pharmacist :) and with plans to travel or head to Australia/New Zealand for good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 220110

Hopefully fully qualified and on my first of many years out to be a full time athlete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Hopefully I'll have actually completed Leaving Cert take two and be in my fourth year of Vet Med in UCD, having a complete nervous breakdown because of the workload.

Actually, frick that, I WILL be in that course and have a complete nervous breakdown. Optimism ftw.

I'd love to have some sorta accommodation near campus too. Party in my gaff, 25 January 2015. Bí ann nó bí cearnóg (you'll all bí cearnóg anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Yet another thread I've attempted to post in many times, but failed miserably..

Oh god, I barely know where I see myself in 5 minutes time, let alone 5 years, but I'll have a go.

I think I'm going to be one of those people who moves around a lot - there's far too many places I want to go and things I want to study! I have no idea what I want out of my current degree, but I can see myself doing quite a few different things. I always said I'd try (if I can) working as a stock trader at some point (it's one of the only aspects of finance I find interesting), but I know I couldn't stick with that kind of life forever. So the more likely plan is to try getting a summer internship in some place that gives me an idea of what that would be like.

I also want to do a Masters and a Ph.D. A lot depends on if I stick with Theoretical Physics or transfer into pure Maths. Trinity are going to have a pure Maths masters within the next few years, and if I get schols, chances are that'd be something I'd do. But I'm also interested in crypotography as well as far too many other things vaguely linked with Maths and Physics. I want to work in CERN, in NASA, in the Max Planck Institute in Munich. I want to lecture, do research, be published..

Outside of everything I've said there, I want to travel and experience different things. I want to be happy with myself as a person. I want to not feel like I've wasted the next five years on nothing. I want to make the right choices or at least learn from making the wrong ones (Tbh, I think these things are far more important than anything else I've mentioned about any potential career). Oh, and I want to be writing on a regular basis again.

I want to be everything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

I hope to be a computer engineer with a nice job, maybe a female in the equation and lots of money (HOPEFULLY),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I hope to be a computer engineer with a nice job, maybe a female in the equation and lots of money (HOPEFULLY),

I read the "maybe a female" part as though you were considering a sex change.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Hopefully happy, finishing off a doctorate in physics, or in Canada, actually using my undergrad degree, but who knows?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I read the "maybe a female" part as though you were considering a sex change.
    I for one am perfectfly accepting if poor old skeptic wants to get a sex change, more power to him! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Looking at myself in a mirror :D

No, I have no idea hopefully employed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

5 years....I'll be 22 I think, in my last year of college. Hopefully I'll have seen a bit of the world and I'll be doing a course that I love, where I can put my nerdiness to good use.:cool:
    But mainly I just want to be happy and enjoying life, after that, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Five years time, hopefully newly commissioned in the Defence Forces as a Lieutenant or possibly as a Corporal if enlisted, or I could be working in the British Armed Services. I should hopefully be a regular fixture on the shooting World Cup circuit every year, with a number of podium placements. I should be fit, healthy, strong and with plenty of forward momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hopefully I'll be in Japan with a H.Dip (Biology) and TEFL under my belt, teaching the Japanese some English.

But even more so than that, I better be alive, physically and mentally well and somewhat happy with my life, whatever I'm at. That'll be enough for me ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

deise_girl wrote: »
    Five years fro now I'll still only be a teen :cool:
    Errm I dont really know, maybe UL doing equine science. Be in my second year I think.

Wow I was ambitious.

Imagine anyone posted here anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I really haven't a clue. Hopefully I'll have more of an idea what I want to do then.
    The main thing is I hope to have either taken my year out to travel the world, something I've always wanted to do, I want to be on every continent.
    I hope I enjoyed the rest of college more than I am at the minute.
    Hopefully I'll have finished my arts degree and either gone on and done the higher diploma in education.
    Really, all I want is to be in a job working with people, I know I just don't want a desk job anyway.

Haha my reality is so different to that. I do NOT want a people job anymore. I'll happily stay in the kitchen thanks very much!

Have also yet to do major travelling apart from Europe but I live in London so that's something and I hope to do more over the next few years. 18 year old me underestimated the importance of money!

Also lol to completing arts and wanting to be a teacher. I didn't finish my arts degree, thankfully, best decision ever. Neither did I finish my culinary arts course but I am working in a fancy central London restaurant as a pastry chef and wouldn't dream of doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Aww this was a great forum in its day, reading this thread is like a time capsule or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I wish I'd posted in this thread, I imagine I'd surprise myself. Pyggy and Rozzie's posts are very sad though :(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

5 years from now? I hope to be working in a job I like (preferably relating to the content of my degree/masters), in a relationship with someone amazing, to have gotten the travel bug out of my system for at least a while, and to run a Boston-qualifying marathon time (3:40:59 for females 18-34).

This was posted on one of my alter-egos after this account went tits up in The Great Hacking.

BSc and MSc in computer science and in my third year working as a full-time software developer after two years in QA, so I'm working in my field and relatively happy with it.

Getting married to a wonderful man in May. Relationship thing checked :)

Travel bug definitely still there - I've moved to London and have seen a good bit of Europe, but so much more I'd still like to see.

Lost almost two years in running terms after I got a virus in 2011 that was at me for about 6 months, and then got a nasty injury in May 2012 that didn't properly heal until late 2013. I've mostly switched to triathlon these days - hoping to do a half-ironman this summer, and I did a few sprints and my first Olympic distance last year.

Also, being 30 is not as scary as it sounded then. Women allegedly hit their sexual peak in their 30s anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Slow Show wrote: »
    5 years time...I'll be 19 only. Hopefully be in college and happy doing what I'm doing, and hopefully in my 2nd year. Bit early to be deciding what I want to do yet but through my older sisters and cousins I like Trinity and UCC and I think UL has a savage campus. But sure we'll see :D
    Yeah I'm in my second year in college and am indeed 19, I truly had the gift. In NUIG though, not really sure where I was going with UCC considering I'm from Galway. :pac:
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    I'll be an intern in St James' Hospital, hopefully :eek:

Something like this is where I hope to be in another five years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

Craguls wrote: »
    Doing a PhD in molecular medicine or neuroscience hopefully.
    Would like to try go around Europe again in that time.

Oh and work on my professional tennis game too

Lawl. 19 year old me was a total dweeb. I would have never thought I wouldn't be living in Ireland though. It's been a weird five years indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Fad wrote: »
    5 years? Depends whether I bail on this course or not!

Either way I still see myself in college (Masters or Phd), slowly growing to resent the time I spend there! :D

Living away from home, trying my best to be in some way happy!

A_Neurotic tweeted out this thread last night and I saw it at half 7 this morning. So many memories.

Aside from living away from home (although I did move out for a year, so I will judge THE PROPHECY as partially fulfilled), and being in something beyond a primary degree, this was worryingly accurate. Did bail on science tho, and still trying to be in some way happy.

*backs away from boards for another year*

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Panda_Returns

I just hope I'm happy.

HAHAHA!! Omg this is ****ing wild!! I am happy! And I think 20 year old Liz would probably **** herself if she knew I was working as a graphic designer in Dublin, freelancing as an illustrator and generally being an independant lady! :D;) That is gas. So happy I saw this again. When I wrote that I was definitely not happy. Definitely suffering from a kind of depression that in a weird way boards totally helped alleviate. So cheers for that boards. Ye were there for me in one of the ****test years of my life. Havn't posted in a looooong time. Havn't even thought of this place in ages but the odd lurk totally pays off when you see gold like this <3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Imma be living with 30 cats.

• Advertisement

• I'm not too optimistic when it comes to the future; when I try and see myself in 5 months time, I see nothing. Never mind 5 years.

The way I see it, there are 3 possibilities:
    (a) I'll be stuck in a dead end job I hate, living on my own
    (b) I'll be an unemployed waster, living at home
    (c) I'll have been hit by a bus or something, living (though not literally) in a box six feet underground

None of them sound too appealing. This is why I try to think about the future as little as possible.

Ugh, even back then I was a miserable shít. >__<;

Anyway I guess (a) isn't so far off what actually transpired, although it didn't happen without having to live through (b) for quite a while. :( Ultimately I'm still nowhere closer to knowing what it is I actually want from life than I was 5 years ago, which is kinda frustrating. On the plus side I think (hope) I'm somewhat more capable of dealing with that than I was back then. One thing I've learned (and I still have to remind myself of often) is that it's a good idea to try and stop comparing yourself to other people, because if you do that then you'll always just feel like a failure. I kinda wish me 5 years ago had known that.....oh well.

As for where I'll be in another five years? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement