Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach Glas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

An bhfuil on clár as Béarla nó as Gaeilge?

http://www.tg4.ie/inte/tglas/tglas.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Sarsfield wrote:
    An bhfuil on clár as Béarla nó as Gaeilge?

http://www.tg4.ie/inte/tglas/tglas.htm

As Gaeilge is dóigh. Ach bíonn fotheidil acu ar chionn is gach clár.

In Irish I would presume. But pretty much all their programmes are subtitled.

It wasn't a bad programme at all. And it was indeed subtitled in English.

I'll hopefully catch it again next time.

Note the next programme is on Tuesday 16th not next Saturday, and it's all about insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Anyone see it? Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the vertical ground source heat pump looked interesting, is this a solution for the burbs?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote:
    the vertical ground source heat pump looked interesting, is this a solution for the burbs?

I suspect installation could work out quite expensive in an existing house. Especially as underfloor heating seems to be the best implementation.

It would also depend on how much heat could be extracted and that's location dependent. No point in using a stack of ESB to pump a little heat out of the ground. You'd be better off with electric bar heaters.

I do like the programme though. It's a very practical series concentrating on actually doing stuff rather than just talking about kilogrammes of CO2 etc.

FYI, TG4 can be watched live across the net at www.tg4.tv

They also archive most of their programmes at that address (see left hand column) where you can catch old episodes of Teach Glas, if you missed them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

I didn't see the last program but I believe a 1980's typical semi with no renewables, std insulation etc got a B! rating - ??? Doesn't look too difficult to get an eco-friendly house without solar/heatpumps/pv'c/or mini windmills!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ardara1 wrote:
    I didn't see the last program but I believe a 1980's typical semi with no renewables, std insulation etc got a B! rating - ??? Doesn't look too difficult to get an eco-friendly house without solar/heatpumps/pv'c/or mini windmills!

Nope it got a C1 and wasn't that old of a house. There was a new build with totally sealed walls that got the B1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i want to know how looking at the house can give you an accurate assessment my house has 3 foot thick stone walls no cavity how's that assessed?
    also the boilers old so you get marked down what if its serviced an maintained it could use less fuel than a badly setup badly configured new boiler.
    looks like a purely superficial excercise. what if i buy a b1 house (assessed off plan) and its reassessed (cos i'm using loads of oil say) and it comes out as c1 due to badly fitting doors/windows bad insulation thermal bridges in the walls how would i get comeback the sei should provide a dispute resolution service with compensatory powers that'd make the builders ensure the houses really did meet spec (i don't beleive its anything more than a box ticking excercise and wont make any difference. rant over
    mind you loved the guy who filled his vents with expanding foam unbeleivable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The first eposide was on last tuesday, I missed it. Does the show be repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

silverharp wrote: »

Not really, If every house in an estate was using them, The benefit would be completely lost, as the ground temperature would just be reduced down to the threshold level, resulting in the only usable heat being far more energy intensive to extract. Its a better solution for rural or isolated dwellings, or those near a body of water.

Glenman wrote: »
    The first eposide was on last tuesday, I missed it. Does the show be repeated?

TG4 archive most of their programmes for a five week period, on their WebTV website at this link. You should be able to find a number of the episodes there. When the WebTV screen comes up, look at the 'cláir eile - cartlann' (archive) section in the left-hand margin and you should find it there.

Advertisement