Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Quality

• 15-10-2020 8:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at the AQI in Cork this morning on Air Visual. It's a lot worse than recently, it's been about 10 every morning since February but today it's 40 - 60.

Then I had a look around the map and I saw this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=529330&d=1602749347
    attachment.php?attachmentid=529331&d=1602749347

Wtf is going on in Clare?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

north easterly winds yesterday, IIRC. so the air was not coming off the atlantic, but from over britain and ireland, which can't have helped?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So there's a vortex of smog swirling around?

What's that like on the ground? I'm asthmatic so I think I'd probably puke and choke in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BarryM0508

The AQI in middle England is equally bad right now, thanks to the bonfire night. In Salford, air pollution as bad as places in China and India. My Climacell data shows that it is getting better slowly and should be alright by this weekend. I wish people listened to the warnings given by the authorities a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

s1ippy wrote: »
    Just had a look at the AQI in Cork this morning on Air Visual. It's a lot worse than recently, it's been about 10 every morning since February but today it's 40 - 60.

Then I had a look around the map and I saw this:
    [img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=529330&d=1602749347
    [img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=529331&d=1602749347

Wtf is going on in Clare?

The air quality in Dublin can be worse then being at times. There is a real ignorance of these things amongst the population.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cooking may be a contributor.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-pollution-cooking-atmosphere-longer-previously.html
    These emissions, which come particularly from cooking processes such as deep fat frying, make up a significant proportion of air pollution in cities, in particular of small particles that can be inhaled known as PM2.5 particles. In London it accounts for around 10 percent of those particles, but in some of the world's megacities for example in China it can be as much as 22 percent with recent measurements in Hong Kong indicating a proportion of up to 39%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

The air is toxic from houses with stoves and those burning coal. Green Party and RTE eco shows encouraging instalation of wood burning stoves in homes located in urban areas are very much part of the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Green Party and RTE eco shows encouraging instalation of wood burning stoves in homes located in urban areas
    again, what? please provide some sort of evidence of this.
    stoves were well in vogue before the greens got in, in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The air is toxic from houses with stoves and those burning coal. Green Party and RTE eco shows encouraging instalation of wood burning stoves in homes located in urban areas are very much part of the problem.

Well wood burning stoves are better than coal or peat burning ones in terms of air quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

again, what? please provide some sort of evidence of this.
    stoves were well in vogue before the greens got in, in 2007.

Screengrab of 2014 Forestry policy.

cheers - interesting that they were suggesting discontinuing support for wood pellets, but suggesting promoting wood burners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Psynter

Hello Boards.ie Members,

My name is Ben and I'm part of a team of final-year students in Psychology and Computing from University College Cork, working on our project about air pollution awareness and behaviours in Ireland.

As part of our final year project, we are exploring how digital technology can help improve public knowledge and actions towards this vital environmental issue.

We are currently seeking participants for a one-to-one semi-structured interview. During this interview, you would discuss your thoughts and experiences about air pollution, how it is currently communicated to the public, the role of digital media in engaging people with issues and solutions related to air pollution effects, and possible mitigation strategies.

This interview will help shape the development of a digital application to raise awareness and encourage environmentally friendly behaviour.

- What’s Involved:

- Participants: Adults over 18 from all backgrounds

- Duration: 30 minutes

- Format: In-person (Cork) or online via Microsoft Teams

Your perspectives are invaluable to us, and we would be honoured to have your participation. All information provided will be kept confidential, and you can withdraw anytime.

Please respond to this message if you want to contribute to this research. We will provide further details and answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for considering this opportunity to impact air quality and public health positively.

Best regards,

Benjamin McManus

----

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read the message above. As mentioned, I'm part of a team working towards their final year project as part of our Psychology and Computing degree program. We are aiming to develop a digital application that promotes awareness around air pollution and air quality, which could also hopefully encourage a positive behaviour change. These interviews will help us to inform the kinds of features the application could provide.

If you have thoughts about air pollution or if this project sounds interesting to you, please reach out to me at 120713441@umail.ucc.ie, or by replying in this thread or through private message. As a reminder, your information will be anonymised and you can withdraw from participation at any time.

Thanks again,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey Ben. Would love to be part of it. I'll email the UCC email you have above.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Holy thread resurrection, batman.

Ireland is one of the windiest countries in Europe. Any air quality issues are likely to be briefer than almost anywhere you can name.

Advertisement