Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House built in woodland

Options
  • 25-04-2017 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just wanted to ask a quick question to satisfy my curiosity - don't know if this is the right place for it but maybe a Mod could move it if so.

A short distance away from me there is a patch of woodland. Its not very big but it's a wonderful spot really quiet and with great views of the surrounding area.

I found out the other day that there's a house being built right in the middle of it and the question I want to ask is - why is this allowed? Now i know nothing about the planning process but surely the disruption to wildlife and trees being removed etc isn't acceptable? How the hell could planning permission be approved for this - does nobody from the council make a visit to check suitability of the site before giving the go ahead?

I find the whole thing a bit disgusting to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Most of the county councils have searchable online databases for planning permission. Take a look here and see can you find the documents on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Would most likely start on the website of your local council. In my case, Fingal co co website has a planning section and you can drop a pin on a map and it will show any planning nearby granted/applied for/denied etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Yeah found some details there. Planning permission was granted years ago it must've been on the verge of expiring and it was renewed in 2011 with an expiration date in January just gone which I presume is why they've started construction.

The conditions attached are gas. Among the many pointless ones - they have to employ a conservationalist to write a report and the outside render should be a neutral tone and texture "In the interest of visual amenity". Like plonking a modern two storey house in the middle of a scenic area is going to have anything but a negative affect on visual amenity?!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

sonic85 wrote: »
    The conditions attached are gas. Among the many pointless ones - they have to employ a conservationalist to write a report and the outside render should be a neutral tone and texture "In the interest of visual amenity". Like plonking a modern two storey house in the middle of a scenic area is going to have anything but a negative affect on visual amenity?!

The conservation report is to ensure they're not damaging protected species or the like. As it voids their planning permission if that's the case, it's the opposite of a pointless condition.

Ditto the visual amenity stuff - if you keep an eye out, you can see the stuff that used to get built before they introduced that. You may not be happy with the end result, but it stops it being a hell of a lot worse.

Advertisement