Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about the Vectrex

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Wow - fantastic stuff - is there a link to buy them yet ?

Not yet, he says that he is going to make 50 units, see how they sell.
    They will be £40 each and available from his store, Clockwork Robot.
    Edit - BTW Cidey - time for you to set up a Vectrex information hub / blog :D
    You're really keeping us up to date here on this thread ! Thanks !!

It's all in prep for the dedicated Vectrex forum...
    Any day now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's all in prep for the dedicated Vectrex forum...
    Any day now
    That would be pretty sweet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deadl0ck wrote: »
    That would be pretty sweet

And it's never going to happen!

Truth is, as vibrant as the Veccy scene is right now, year on year there's less of the consoles and the likes of the PiTrex is only going to be sold to a fraction of those owners.
    As a result it's always going to an incredibly niche scene.

Still, it's pretty cool never the less!

There is a new Zaxxon/Starfighter game on the way, called Vexxon.
    Looks pretty good even though it's still early days

And it's never going to happen!
    Yeah - I know - I was just going along with it while it lasted.....
    Maybe just a forum-een - a small forum :D

PiTrex arrived a couple of hours ago !!
    Will get to it after work !!
    Also - need to print a case for it - will be a combination of this and this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Mine is currently out for delivery also, and I'll be 3D printing the same! Hopefully it will come out better than the cartridge case in the pics on thingiverse.

How are people setting up the installation with a non wireless Pi Zero?

I see Malban is running a Virtual Machine?

You can just swap the sd card then into the PiTrex.

Seems to be the best way i'd imagine?

Just opened the package now and it shows a quick start guide.

I didn't realise it was as easy as unzipping Malbans Bare-Metal Zip file and extracting it to a FAT32 SD Card!

Doge wrote: »
    Just opened the package now and it shows a quick start guide.

I didn't realise it was as easy as unzipping Malbans Bare-Metal Zip file and extracting it to a FAT32 SD Card!

Yep, it uses the current set of roms as well, so there's no need for hunting about.
    Also, the AAE emulator needs an older set, so look for something around 2003 for Star Wars in particular

Didn't get time to try it yet (shakes fist at work) - going to get the case printed this morning hopefully.

Couple of nice controllers from Vic landed today, really top quality stuff

IMG-20210420-100419-1.jpg
    mr bean pictures animated

• Advertisement

The man is brilliant, my 2600 controller is fantastic, and it works a treat on the Spectrum as well.
    Because a lot of games used "up" as jump, because the Spectrum and Atari sticks only have one fire button, this is mapped to the second fire button on the Vic Stic, making those games a whole lot easier to play.
    I haven't tried it on the C64 yet, but I imagine it will reap the same benefits there.

Right - case printed and I got like 5 minutes with it during lunch - I'll post some pics later

Am I seeing things or do we get a full version of Vectorblade on the PiTrex with Malban's SD Image ??

Yes vectorblade is included and an absolute load of other stuff too!

UjOsLLQl.jpg
    3PvaxW3l.jpg
    ffGpkYml.jpg
    XbQ7m37l.jpg
    IbS5W5Ql.jpg

Excellent! Love the little top cover for the pi too.. Really nice, there's labels on the fb group too if you want to print out one.. Enjoy!

Excellent! Love the little top cover for the pi too.. Really nice, there's labels on the fb group too if you want to print out one.. Enjoy!

Deadly - I'll need to look - is that a Facebook Group for PiTrex ? Or is it the Vectrex Fans Unite group ?

On the fb vectrex fans unite group, if your not on there let me know and I can mail you a copy. ��

I'm on it - I just need to find it - did you manage to get the set of ROMs also for the MAME stuff (I haven't looked yet)

Lovely work deadl0ck!

I tried out Transparent filament for the first time and this was the result:

550821.jpg

550822.jpg

550823.jpg

More challenging than standard PLA, had to print at a lower resolution, 100% infill, high temperatures and 30% your usual speed to ensure it remains as transparent as possible.

I sanded some sides and sprayed Rust-oleum Crystal Clear over them but it didnt really improve the transparency.

Probably because this transparent PLA yellows slightly, you'd get better results with certain clear PLA brands that are reputable.

I noticed our screws are slightly too long. ;)

Mine juts out the slightest bit above the nut also but it fits the Vectrex okay.

That looks great - It looks like the label is still a WIP over on the FB Group

• Advertisement

Playing VectorBlade there - did the calibration but are you guys getting the slanted score ?

On videos online it looks like it should be normal straight up as opposed to slanted

V7Z8KpTm.jpg

Is the photo yours? It looks pretty straight to me there! Maybe try the calibration again.

Is the photo yours? It looks pretty straight to me there! Maybe try the calibration again.

I mean it's slanted about 40 degrees to the right

In this video it pretty much straight up: https://youtu.be/FhcgFeT_3R4?t=557

Edit: so this essentially:
    wjM5edR.jpg

I wonder if theres a way of skipping calibration altogether for vecccys without geometry issues?

I wonder if theres a way of skipping calibration altogether for vecccys without geometry issues?

That being said it's perfect for me apart from that - eve the ships that fly across that are and over the score are fine - weird

Can anyone tell me how I might make a Megadrive compatible arcade stick?
    As I have a Vecadapt this will let me use it on the Vectrex, as have a spare arcade stick waiting to be repurposed.
    I'm rubbish at soldering, so keep that in mind!

Can anyone tell me how I might make a Megadrive compatible arcade stick?
    As I have a Vecadapt this will let me use it on the Vectrex, as have a spare arcade stick waiting to be repurposed.
    I'm rubbish at soldering, so keep that in mind!

What type of arcade stick is it ? Maybe you could get an megadrive adapter for it (instead of making one)

It has a USB cable at present, I might find a dodgy MD pad somewhere and do a spot of soldering, I can arrange the buttons then to follow the Veccy arrangement, with Start/A/B/C equalling 1/2/3/4

I'll have a look and report back if I get something working.

Also, did anyone see the issues the most recent PiTrex release has been having?
    Apparently, there is a problem with the trace relating to the "Halt" signal, causing a conflict between the Pitrex/RPi and the Veccys own main processor, which is normally halted.
    I hope everyone with a new PiTrex is getting on okay and haven't been affected?

You could always get a JIB board from James Watt and just solder the connectors on it or wrap wires around it etc, the pads are huge its impossible to get wrong

• Advertisement

mozie81 wrote: »
    You could always get a JIB board from James Watt and just solder the connectors on it or wrap wires around it etc, the pads are huge its impossible to get wrong

I thought I had one, though I might have given it away...
    I'll have a look in the quantum singularity that is the "box of wires under the gamesroom table", I think it is filled with cables for things that never existed...

Advertisement