Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All about the Vectrex

• 12-03-2021 12:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know I am one of a couple of Veccy owners here, so I thought I might make a dedicated thread for Vectrex matters, especially as the scene seems so lively right now.
    Certainly, there have been several significant releases over the past two to three years that have made the Vectrex's USP, aka the display, very attractive to collectors but even more so to players of videogames.

The Pitrex has really set things on fire, while the earlier Vecfever was a new technology that married the display to computing power it was quite limited.
    The Pitrex is relatively simple but accomplishes a lot of the same things, and is entirely self-contained, no connection to a PC required, aside from setting it up.
    It's a hybrid device, pairing a custom made pcb with a RPi0.

The device has allowed two main threads of development.
    One uses the Linux environment to run a Mame branch called VecMame, this is pretty impressive but has needed a bit of setting up and it can be slow.
    The other is Baremetal, which is the one I am following.
    Again, the RPi needs a Linux environment installed at the start, but once the image is flashed to your SD, after that it is just a matter of extracting the appropriate zip file from Malban, the main developer of this branch, and you are off to the races, so to speak.
    He has allowed the entire back catalogue to be played as if on a normal flash cart, he also has a range of arcade titles running on the Veccy, from BattleZone to Asteroids Deluxe, which look incredible on a vector monitor.
    What been a very interesting development though is an option called "Speedy Vectrex" which is an enhanced environment for a selection of standard Vectrex games.
    Scramble, a port of the Konami classic, was released back in '82 on the Vectrex and looks and plays great, but playing it on the new Speedy option and it's a revelation, it could well be the best version of Scramble on any system, including arcade, smooth and crisp.
    Malban has also provided the latest version of his outstanding Vectorblade game, up to 1.10 now, and a new one to this environment called ZBlast, which is a conversion of a Linux title of the same name from about 18 years ago, and this looks astounding on the Vectrex monitor also.

So, that's where things lie for me at the moment, this hasn't really gone into the other homebrew that's emerged over the past few years, Vector Pilot, WireOut and Vector Patrol.
    If you have a Vectrex I can't recommend them highly enough.

But, to repeat, if you have a Vectrex you should get a Pitrex soon.
    They seem to be out of stock right now but the supplies are supposed to be coming and the device is dead cheap, and it really is incredible what the volunteer group of developers are producing for the new hybrid format.

Here's Zblast, just added to the Pitrex baremetal package yesterday,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any advice on dealing with Vectrex heartbreak when the vector screen goes kaput?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, it all depends on what it is about the monitor that has gone kaput.
    Because, barring dropping the thing, there seems to be quite a bit that can be done.
    I would join the Vectrex group on FB, all of the big hitters are on there and they are very generous with their expertise.
    I'm in it and I will send you a link.
    I'm sure there should be something to do to help.
    They even got a complete replacement PCB out there for the Vectrex, albeit a bare one, but it can then be populated with easy to locate components to make a brand new Veccy, and there are ways to repurpose oscilloscope CRTs to work as a display, good "Scopetrex"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any advice on dealing with Vectrex heartbreak when the vector screen goes kaput?

Sell it on and forget all about the system, that's what I did anyway :(

Want to buy another has been growing a lot lately...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The problem with that is that the Vectrex is growing quite expensive and they don't like rough handling.
    An unlikely device to find locally now too, unless it is busted.
    But...
    Find a company you trust, buy one from the EU and have it bundled up safely... who knows, you might get lucky

Here's the Scopetrex, for our members possessing soldering superpowers
    https://hackaday.com/2020/05/07/scopetrex-is-a-game-console-for-your-oscilloscope/

More information, apparently it will accept and oscilloscope or an xy monitor.
    https://github.com/schlae/scopetrex

Here's a few for sale, including the PCBs for the controllers
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Scopetrex-Oscilloscope-Vectrex-rev1-1-PCB/114406136067?hash=item1aa3231903:g:FJoAAOSwWelfXeju

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How is the emulation :pac:

Seems this is a deep scene with tons to find!
    How to build your own XY vector monitor with almost any TV... aside from a Trinitron!
    It can get expensive though, the kit costs about $320
    https://www.retrorgb.com/vector-monitor-xy-kit.html

How is the emulation :pac:

I'm glad you asked!
    So, the Speedy Vectrex is actually the RPi0 emulating the Vectrex, as opposed to Exact Vectrex which is the Veccy hardware... afaik.
    The point is, the RPi0 is considerably more powerful than the Veccy and, as a result, games can run a lot faster, as fast as the drawing rate on the screen will allow.
    Many games don't like it and so aren't available but, of the games that are listed, some of them are amazing, such as Scramble.

The quality of arcade emulation is variable, with Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Tailgunner looking brilliant.
    Battlezone looks the part but the controls on mine are off, and there is no sound yet.
    Again, this is the work of one person, so the work is progressing but at a certain pace.

The vectrex is a brilliant and unique machine but I had to get out of the old chasing the retro dragon game to do some.... Adulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dav09

That looks great.

Working on a project at the minute, I usually go all original for everything but honestly, the cost of getting the board is quite expensive, the cost of a WG6100 Vector Monitor is expensive, hard to find, and most of all most people I've heard of talk about reliability issues with anything Vector-based and keeping them running. It sorta doesn't incentivize me as it's a personal home project and I don't have the time to be fixing it a lot, I might just emulate it. Are they actually as bad reliability-wise as people say?

On a side note here's something I read, some of the new FPGA like the new Tempest board apparently do new monitor balancing on intensive effects to make the monitors more reliable, it's a crazy idea but apparently works.

• Advertisement

The vectrex is a brilliant and unique machine but I had to get out of the old chasing the retro dragon game to do some.... Adulting.

I've heard of Adulting...
    I want nothing to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sell it on and forget all about the system, that's what I did anyway :(

Same, I actually don't regret selling it though. It's a very cool little box of tricks, very unique, and another device that emulation can't really do justice to....but it's a very old and delicate system....and I don't miss wondering if "this is the last time it'll turn on".

That said, the underlying tech is quite appealing, and with all the modern advancements that Cidey mentions, I'm half interested in the ScopeTrex thing, or maybe the TV mod. Some day maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Love my veccy. I had three at one stage, traded one and another died. So just the one working at the moment.
    Every time I power it up there is the fear alright!

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Love my veccy. I had three at one stage, traded one and another died. So just the one working at the moment.
    Every time I power it up there is the fear alright!

Something you don't have 2 of :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Something you don't have 2 of :eek:

I'll repair the faulty one some day, and then the universe will be back in balance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

My Vectrex wouldn't power on the last time tried a couple of months ago and I'm not sure what to do with it now. Really not in the humour to troubleshoot whatever the problem may be, to be honest.

Relikk wrote: »
    My Vectrex wouldn't power on the last time tried a couple of months ago and I'm not sure what to do with it now. Really not in the humour to troubleshoot whatever the problem may be, to be honest.

The best place for advice is the aforementioned facebook group.
    Powering on problems are often down to just grime build up on the switch.
    And, as before, problems with the console are typically fixed with the replacement of capacitors, and the device comes back to life.
    The current scene really is alive with great stuff, and worth being a part of...
    But then I'm biased, being a Veccy owner and the local Veccy Evangelical...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Relikk wrote: »

Did you give it about 5 minutes after tinting it on?

Mike takes about a minute depending on how recent it was powered on.

The capacitors inside are going in mine and it's a common issue with these ageing machines.

Could just be a dirty power switch give it a shot of deoxit and see does it work, there's really no fear in these I had two workers and one completely busted, caps were replaced the AD chip too and finally the controller so it gave me plenty of experience and there's not much barring a busted tube that can't be repaired, there's really nothing quite like them

Screenshot-20210315-003509.jpg

Doge wrote: »
    Did you give it about 5 minutes after tinting it on?

Mike takes about a minute depending on how recent it was powered on.

The capacitors inside are going in mine and it's a common issue with these ageing machines.

This is what happens when you use the boards desktop site on your mobile! :pac:

I really wish the board's app was better and automated the bb code for embedding images and YouTube videos.

• Advertisement

I made a suggestion on the Veccy FB group that the game Red Alarm would be a good fit onto the system.
    The consoles abilities have been enhanced with the RPi0 powered Pitrex so the likes of this project would be a challenge but attainable, I think

You could even slap a red acetate over the screen for the real VB effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That reminds me to try and turn mine on again soon. Had some vector issues the last time.
    Thanks for the info on PiTrex , will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Can't believe I didn't see this thread till now.

I'm loving mine - it was shipped from the UK but got here in one piece, although the person shipping it (Jason Birch, Argys Attic Repairs) repairs Vectrexes (Vectri?) and is used to shipping them - he gave it a service and once over for me before he sent it on.

Anyhow - I really need to get my hands on a Pitrex !

I have a a VecMulti and I also have some of the UV Overlays - they look the biz.

I also experimented with making my own overlays - they are OK I suppose but not as good as the real thing.
    I also made a little slope for it to stand on so it's at a better viewing angle :D

My 7 year old daughter loves it also - she's mad about pole position on it

nGmU65Qm.jpgnrPBrRJm.jpgyV3daTum.jpg
    2S5g3QJm.jpgAqjZW8Im.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Can't beat a bit of Vectrexing :)

deadl0ck wrote: »
    My 7 year old daughter loves it also - she's mad about pole position on it

Possible future SIM racer so!
    A lot of kids ages under 18 are getting the SIM racing buzz at the moment, the community is really starting to grow.

I took a glance at oscilloscope prices and they seem to be around €150 or so.
    Coupled with a scopetrex board that would deliver Vectrex gaming without a Veccy, but the display is a lot smaller.

Better to convert a crt to an XY display, but that's more expensive.

I don't think there's any reason for a Vectrex tube to fail, aside from a component failure which should be repairable.

I think the Pitrex represents the future of the console.
    Someone elsewhere decried it as the death knell for homebrew on the base Vectrex and he was dismissed, but looking at the capability of the hybrid device it opens far more options for games developers.
    The only drawback is the inability, at present, too monetize this, as you can't sell a game for the Pitrex on a cart.
    Perhaps the game could be delivered via download but the customer charged for the overlay, if there is to be one.

Malbans latest video shows some impressive work his been doing on the pitrex, really coming along now with the arcade emulators too, red baron looks great, will try get this on a card the weekend to try it out

https://youtu.be/buAxW5p1g9c

I need to find a way to control Battlezone properly.
    I imagine it will be a Stramash Zone style solution, with an Atari-compatible stick in each port.
    Or maybe something else.
    Either way, it looks amazing, and a green overlay will complete the illusion of the original arcade title which, for me, is the holy grail for the Vectrex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Ahhhh, stop making me want to spend more money.
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!

Advertisement