Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep the Sonic games still hold up for me although the first one isn't has aged a bit. After that they are all good until after sonic and knuckles. There's plenty of variety in the levels, it's the GBA games and Sonic CD that suffer from lack of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Snesfan wrote: »
    Ya I know what you mean, for me that moment was F-Zero, still haven't finished star-fox for some reason :confused:

Aged 12 I played Fzero non stop for months and months trying to win the race at Fire Fields, I can still remember doing it, I was exhausted. I turned off the SNES for a number of months afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Aged 12 I played Fzero non stop for months and months trying to win the race at Fire Fields, I can still remember doing it, I was exhausted. I turned off the SNES for a number of months afterwards.

What a game though, I absolutely love it......... Dominated my childhood too, I remember my cousin had it and she gave me a loan of it for about a year, I played it constantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

F-Zero, on the Snes, never liked it, I simply never warmed to the Mode 7 thing the Snes had going on.
    F-Zero on the N64, on the other hand, now that was excellent, the only game to really challenge the Wipeout series for future racing thrills, aside from the wonderful Rollcage games.
    F-Zero GX on the GC, one of the most awesome visual spectacles I have ever seen, and all moving so fast, with so many competitors too, brilliant!
    Given that it was released while Sony saw fit to insult us with Wipeout Fusion and then only suceed in it's attempts to update the franchise by moving it to the PSP, for big screen, high speed thrills, little could compete with F-Zero GX, imho, at least until Wipeout HD/Fury came out, years later.

That'd be a cool cool thing to see, a Wii edition of F-Zero, no motion controls thank you!
    Also, a DS version could be really sweet, especially with a verison of the 64DD track editor added in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

IMO the F-zero series is way ahead of Wipeout. Wipeout is like mario kart with a futuristic setting. It relies on lucky item drops and weapons rather than on driving ability. F-zero on the other hand is all about the racing and is an incredible game once you get used to the speed. It's so much faster than wipeout. F-zero GX for me is the finest racing game ever made. And one of my favourite things about it, no cheating AI! If you get way ahead of the pack they won't magically catch up with you and your rival doesn't always come first which is great because it's almost impossible to place first on the higher difficulties.

Also nobody should insult their memory of F-zero by playing the PAL SNES version. The NTSC version is so much faster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did anyone put in any time on the arcade version, F-Zero AX?
    Was it any good?

I don't think any cabinets made it over here. I think even in japan it was very rare to find. I think it was only the last few tracks in F-zero GX (which I still haven't managed to unlock) with some new pilots. All of them could be unlocked in F-zero GX anyway. The only difference with AX was that it ran in HD (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    IMO the F-zero series is way ahead of Wipeout. Wipeout is like mario kart with a futuristic setting. It relies on lucky item drops and weapons rather than on driving ability. F-zero on the other hand is all about the racing and is an incredible game once you get used to the speed. It's so much faster than wipeout. F-zero GX for me is the finest racing game ever made. And one of my favourite things about it, no cheating AI! If you get way ahead of the pack they won't magically catch up with you and your rival doesn't always come first which is great because it's almost impossible to place first on the higher difficulties.

Also nobody should insult their memory of F-zero by playing the PAL SNES version. The NTSC version is so much faster.

I can't say I agree with your opinion. The earlier WipEout games like WipEout XL and 2097 require alot of skill and fast reflexes, they were all about speed. The fighting part of the game isn't as detrimental to gameplay as say in WipEout Fusion. The WipEout series were some of the best games I have played on the PSX, they had great graphics and incredible soundtracks.

Alot of people don't like WipEout Fusion at all because of the direction it took the gameplay, fighting over racing, and some lag issues with too many objects on the screen. I really like it, it was gritty and addictive. I am very surprised that it didn't get a follow up. I bought Pulse recently for the PS2 and its definetly a return to the older days of pure racing. You still need to know where the power-up's are going to be to get a tactical leverage over opponents. There is alot more depth in the gameplay and the different tournaments you have to partake in than previous WipEout games, but shamefully, I haven't played it in awhile. The graphics are good to boot for a PSP game on a PS2.

Not to say that F-Zero isn't badass. I have only the Snes and N64 versions of the game. My favourite is the N64 version. Mute City soundtrack :D it definetly gives WipEout 64 a run for it's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm loving Policenauts. It reminds me of some film but i can't think of it. its like Rising Sun/blade runner in space.

I have been playing Quake 64 solidly for about a week now. I think it must be one of the best FPS for the N64. The smooth framerate is nice, and the controls are easy to adapt to. Some of the level design is genius, I am playing one level at the moment that is an absolute bastard but I know I am going to clear it with a little more time and effort. I love the creatures in Quake, especially the Shambler! There's plenty of "Oh ****!" moments in this game which I live for.

shambler.gif

• Advertisement

I heard one of the Turoks was good on N64. Infact i believe it was the only good Turok and is the only reason that some of the **** they made on ps2/gc/etc was actually bought.

I heard one of the Turoks was good on N64. Infact i believe it was the only good Turok and is the only reason that some of the **** they made on ps2/gc/etc was actually bought.

I've read reviews and seen gameplay on youtube and Turok hasn't impressed me one bit, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the two best FPS for the N64 are Quake and Doom 64. Goldeneye holds a special place but it's annoying to play due to lag and the enemies are stupid. Perfect Dark is a little of the same, even with the red chip thingy in your N64.

I'm loving Policenauts. It reminds me of some film but i can't think of it. its like Rising Sun/blade runner in space.

I've heard it's very like Lethal Weapon if thats what you are looking for. Can't wait to play it, I loved snatcher.
    CCCP^ wrote: »
    I have been playing Quake 64 solidly for about a week now. I think it must be one of the best FPS for the N64. The smooth framerate is nice, and the controls are easy to adapt to. Some of the level design is genius, I am playing one level at the moment that is an absolute bastard but I know I am going to clear it with a little more time and effort. I love the creatures in Quake, especially the Shambler! There's plenty of "Oh ****!" moments in this game which I live for.

Why? It's better on PC!
    I've read reviews and seen gameplay on youtube and Turok hasn't impressed me one bit, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the two best FPS for the N64 are Quake and Doom 64. Goldeneye holds a special place but it's annoying to play due to lag and the enemies are stupid. Perfect Dark is a little of the same, even with the red chip thingy in your N64.

I think the good one is supposed to be Turok 2. I've heard it's aged pretty badly though. Turok 1 is awful, some really bad jumping bits, crap level design and horrendous fog.

I have to agree that Quake and Doom 64 have probably aged the best. Doom 64 is well worth playing since it's basically a whole slew of new levels, reskinned enemies and a great soundtrack. Best played through something liek Legacy though on a PC. I've said enough about goldeneye and perfect dark.

Just tried Sonic Adventure for the first time on the DC. I actually feel sick after playing it. Terrible camera angles and controls. Ugh. I'll go back to it tomorrow but I was not impressed initially by this game :/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

just finished metal slug 4 on the PS2, got it on ebay last week, it plays well, but with all the free continues we finished it in 30 min, but it only cost me €5 on ebay, still though it's not the same when you are not limited by 20p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I keep meaning to play that but never ever opened it.
    I might give it a wack tomorrow night

Just tried Sonic Adventure for the first time on the DC. I actually feel sick after playing it. Terrible camera angles and controls. Ugh. I'll go back to it tomorrow but I was not impressed initially by this game :/

It was the first game I played when I got my dreamcast about 2 years ago. I was the same. Played for 30 mins, gave the controller to my brother for 30 mins. Then played Under Defeat and power stone 2 instead. Wasn't impressed and really wondering what people see in it to proclaim it a great game. Could be rose tinted glasses again. I just found sonic too fast to control with too much inertia and spent most of my time walking into walls like when I first played tomb raider.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah i have metal slug anthology for the wii, but i hate the wii controller, so I'm looking to pick it up on the PS2, but I'm not paying €22, been looking to see if someone will exchange a PS2 copy for the wii one, but have had no luck.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was the first game I played when I got my dreamcast about 2 years ago. I was the same. Played for 30 mins, gave the controller to my brother for 30 mins. Then played Under Defeat and power stone 2 instead. Wasn't impressed and really wondering what people see in it to proclaim it a great game. Could be rose tinted glasses again. I just found sonic too fast to control with too much inertia and spent most of my time walking into walls like when I first played tomb raider.

I felt exactly the same, the controls are just awful. You move too quick and when you try to change direction you just smack into a wall with the slightest touch. It felt really mediocre. I briefly played Sonic Adventure 2 and thought the first one would be worth a look but oh no. It cost feck all off ebay, and I am willing to give it another 30 mins tomorrow and see if it picks itself up.

I quite enjoyed Sonic Adventure on the DC, back in the day, I bought the jap edition on release and had great fun, in retrospect though it was a little uninteractive at times! But the Sonic scenes are the best 3D realisations of the blue mascot thus far.
    I have Wipeout 64, and tech limitations aside, it's a great game, but not a patch on FZero.
    I also have Quake64 and, apart from the Saturn version, it's pretty brilliant, and scary!
    The Shambler rocks and I especially love the Lovecraft "Elder Ones" theme that runs through it, sadly replaced by a scifi cliche for Quake 2/4/Wars.
    I would really like a true sequel to Quake, not holding out too much hope some 14 years after it's initial release!
    Turok sucked, the fogging was truely atrocious, dinos and enemies running at you from this pea-soup mist, the amount of platform jumping was odd as well, the FPS perspective not lending itself well to precision leaps, leading to many falls and restarts.
    Turok 2 only trumped it by having better visuals and awesome weapons, still too much fog though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its by no means a great game but i enjoyed sonic adventure and its sequel, the best 3d sonics available (which isnt very hard I know)

I can't stand Sonic Adventure. Wtf was sonic doing in the real world helping cops.

Stupid game.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    the amount of platform jumping was odd as well, the FPS perspective not lending itself well to precision leaps, leading to many falls and restarts.

I think it's funny that a lot of people from the turok development team went to retro studios and perfected FPS jumping in Metroid Prime after failing miserably in Turok.

Ever get a restless bored feeling when playing through your games. Today I'm off work and it feels like i can't decide what to play. When i do pick something it can't keep my attention for too long. Now these are good games that would normally have me playing hours.

Is it due to expanding my games library too fast and having too much choice?

Policenauts was also pissing me off today

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, that's exactly it. Spoiled for choice. I think the biggest example of this is with emulators. You go to play something and instead flick through a couple, get bored and turn it off.

Best way around it is to make a point of beating specific games rather than randomly just dipping in to your collection on any given day.

Agree entirely with the above.

Ever get a restless bored feeling when playing through your games. Today I'm off work and it feels like i can't decide what to play. When i do pick something it can't keep my attention for too long. Now these are good games that would normally have me playing hours.

Policenauts was also pissing me off today

Yeah, that happens. I just stick with a few consoles. My room is like this: PS2, N64 and Dreamcast all setup. Playing a couple of different games on each - Sonic Unleashed, Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and Tomb Raider Anniversary for the PS2, Quake on the N64 and Jet Set Radio on the DC. When I get sick of one game, I just put the other one on. There's enough diversity between those games to keep me going. Jet Set Radio I am starting to get into, beautiful visuals in that game, easily rival anything on the PS2 or Xbox.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I also have Quake64 and, apart from the Saturn version, it's pretty brilliant, and scary!
    The Shambler rocks and I especially love the Lovecraft "Elder Ones" theme that runs through it, sadly replaced by a scifi cliche for Quake 2/4/Wars.
    I would really like a true sequel to Quake, not holding out too much hope some 14 years after it's initial release!
    Turok sucked, the fogging was truely atrocious, dinos and enemies running at you from this pea-soup mist, the amount of platform jumping was odd as well, the FPS perspective not lending itself well to precision leaps, leading to many falls and restarts.
    Turok 2 only trumped it by having better visuals and awesome weapons, still too much fog though!

Quake64 is pure genius. Easily the best FPS for that console console, I am addicted to it. I would love to see a Quake remake in the near future, whatever console had it I would buy straight away. CiDeRmAn, have you ever heard of call of Cthulhu for the Xbox? I was interested in getting it at one point, I love Lovecraft stories, but apparently it's not that good :/

I preferred Quake 2 on the PS1. It was a stunning conversion and a technical marvel. The dual analogue control system was excellent in it as well and one of the first uses and multitap 4 player was excellent.

What I usually do is concentrate on one JRPG or long game and keep 1 or 2 dumb action games in reserve when I get the ineviteable JRPG burnout after a 5 hour session.

CiDeRmAn, have you ever heard of call of Cthulhu for the Xbox? I was interested in getting it at one point, I love Lovecraft stories, but apparently it's not that good :/

If you love Lovecraft, then Eternal Darkness is a great game to get for the GC.

• Advertisement

I didn't like Eternal Darkness that much.

The story was excellent, the soundtrack, effects and atmosphere were excellent and the writing and voice acting some of the best ever. The game however was just a dog to play.

Advertisement