Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aiséirí Detox and Rehab Centre - Has anyone been there

• 01-07-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of a severe benzo dependence. I've stopped a few times. Last time nothing major, but the previous time on day 4 had 2 grand mal seizures and ended up with a back injury. Malnutrition is going to be a huge determing factor on what prevents serious damage, so I'm hoping they cover that part. I found out that at Smarmore castle in Ardee they cover EVERYTHING. They provide supplements, healthy food, they even provide superfood shakes every day. And they cover the psychospiritual stuff. What I really need to know if is Azeiri covers the nutrition aspect. Its of utmost importance, you need to be nourished when you detox so your body has a good supply of antioxidants and cytoprotective nutrients,

Does azeiri cover this side of things? Healthy meals, supplements (at Smarmore they actually provide IV injections of nutrients you have deficient in. The superfood smoothies thing is brilliant. Do they cover all this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Safe withdrawal from a severe benzo dependancy needs expert medical management because of the danger of possible fatal grand seizures and you will need the appropriate anticonvulsants to be administered together with drip-fed nutrients and B vitamins. Please see your GP and discuss a detox in hospital where you can be safely monitored.

This is not a comment on the many detox centres who do great work but if you have had grand mal seizures before then your withdrawal needs to be carefully monitored with the immediate availability of resus equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

I agree 150%, unfortunately they don't do Vitamin B drips at this centre. I talked to my GP about this, shes not well informed, many doctors aren't (one of them said to me, if I handcuff you to the radiator for a week, you'll get through the withdrawal and be fine, this is after I told him I already had 2 seizures).  They will only do a fast taper accompanied by healthy eating. This is one of my main areas of study/research (I'm a chemist, but my area of interest is focused on medicine), so I have researched this from loads of angles, it bothers me a bit that they don't take into consideration things like using high bioavailability magnesium and taurine (preferably via drip) to protect the brain against glutamate excitotoxicity. 
    They won't let me bring supplements in with me, they'll only allow it if my GP agrees, so its up to my uninformed GP what I'll be able to get when I'm there. Vitamin C (the core antioxidant, without enough of this other antioxidants like Vitamin E can't function), B vitamins (especially thiamine which is depleted heavily by benzos and niacin so the brain doesn't have to use the cytotoxic TP pathway, but proper high bioavailability forms), magnesium (to protect the brain against glutamate excitotoxicity), taurine and N-acetylcysteine (to replenish glutathione needed to deal with the oxidative stress), these should be an essential requirement for any detox centre or hospital for dealing with benzodiazepine withdrawals. 
    I even told them I have IBS and don't absorb nutrients effectively when it comes on, they said they'll leave that up to my GP to decide what to do, the GP said she'll leave it up to them to decide. I asked her if she'll give permission for me to bring in superfood powders that you get in the healthfood shop and she told me no. Well if they're really experts, then they must (I hope) actively research the biochemistry behind various types of withdrawals, and hopefully keep up to date with modern research. 

Administering antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and some other key nutrients can be the difference between brain damage and harm free recovery.

Advertisement