Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your good sleep hygiene tips?

• 02-01-2020 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello everyone,

My one and only resolution this year is to have better sleep hygiene because I know everything else can come after a good nights sleep. I am what I consider a night owl, feeling more productive and awake and night but this does not fit in with my 9-5 job. Now I will stay up late watching or listening to something and then sleep in till the last possible moment in the morning and as a result not give myself adequate time to dress/groom nicely and also end up with a Mario cart type drive screeching into work at the last acceptable second. I would love your advice on how you improved your sleep/sleep hygiene. Any tips at all would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I'm the same.

I'd be hyper and alert at 11pm and I wouldn't get to sleep till after 2am

I used to avoid having a nap on the couch after work to see if that would work but it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Well. Maybe not to be browsing and posting on boards.ie at 3:23am , presumably on your phone in bed if you have to get up in the morning. Look up the definition of hygiene instead.
    Then put the phone away.
    And set your alarm clock for 10 mins earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

robinbird wrote: »
    Well. Maybe not to be browsing and posting on boards.ie at 3:23am , presumably on your phone in bed if you have to get up in the morning. Look up the definition of hygiene instead.
    Then put the phone away.

I'm off work until the 6th the aul sleeping pattern is gone to the dogs

I won't get up out of bed until 2pm in the day, I'll sit on the couch until the evening and head for a few scoops

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

Internet OFF is essential each night for me, followed by night blinds absolutely essential. Whether sleep or else that follows is a blessing.
    There’s nothing that beats nice clean crisp sheets for helping me sleep ( says the woman typing at 403 in the morning lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You should only use your bed for 2 things.

Sleeping of course is 1.

The other is praying.

Also, a hot bath will help immensely if you have trouble sleeping, there is science behind it but I am too tired to explain. Sometimes I smoke a doob in the bath too. Then I never have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Hygiene means being clean. It has nothing to do with sleep unless your bedclothes are actually dirty.

I know there's a hipstery - and whoever else, I don't care - use of the word "hygiene" about sleep, **** that. It's idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Hygiene means being clean. It has nothing to do with sleep unless your bedclothes are actually dirty.

I know there's a hipstery - and whoever else, I don't care - use of the word "hygiene" about sleep, **** that. It's idiocy.

This term has been used by the HSE and predecessor Health Boards for years. It’s nothing to do with the hipsters. But I appreciate you hating on them. It’s like an invasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,862 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I'm off work until the 6th the aul sleeping pattern is gone to the dogs

I won't get up out of bed until 2pm in the day, I'll sit on the couch until the evening and head for a few scoops

That's part of your problem. On your days off you should still get up close to when you get up for work and drinking while a sedative does not give you quality sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

You should only use your bed for 2 things.

Sleeping of course is 1.

The other is praying.

Also, a hot bath will help immensely if you have trouble sleeping, there is science behind it but I am too tired to explain. Sometimes I smoke a doob in the bath too. Then I never have a problem.

Cannabis has a similar sedating effect to that of alcohol and sleeping pills. You don't get vital REM sleep when you smoke it. It's not healthy to use it as a sleeping aid because has anti-cholinergic effects similar to anti-psychotics and certain antihistamines (diphenhydramine), this contributes to cognitive deficits and negatively affects the production of many hormones such as growth hormone. Moreover, it can contribute to the onset of parkinsonian symptoms later in life with regular use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you want motivation to improve your sleep behaviour then know this. Poor sleep and lack of it causes an increased build up in the brain of the protein that causes Alzheimer’s.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/sleep-deprivation-increases-alzheimers-protein

It comes down to discipline. As a previous poster said your bed should only be used for keeping. Therefore only go to bed e we hen you’re tired.

Blackout blinds ftw

Try go to bed and get up at the same time everyday including weekends

Alcohol screws with sleep

Avoid eating late

The screen thing at night is subjective. I know people who swear by watching something on their phone for 10 mins before sleep. If you do have a screen on, make sure the blue light filter is on and maxed out and turn the brightness way down.

Exercise regularly

If you can’t sleep then get up after 15 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

One of my goals this year too but I’m not a night owl so I think with a few changes I should see improvement- I hope!

Listened to a great podcast on the topic recently - Finding Mastery episode with Dr Michael Breus, was released on 11Dev. He has basically classified people into 4 different types - depending on when you are most productive throughout the day. He also says it’s not about the hours you sleep but the quality of those hours. Worth a listen, you may find it of some use to you!

Good luck ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Similar advice to above, sleep routine, same/similar going to bed/rising time all week, even when not working. Be active during the day, every day. Watch your diet, good quality foods, all the time, cut down/out the crap, no eating late in the evening/night. No consumption of stimulants in the evening, sugary products/caffeine/alcohol/drugs etc etc etc. If you wanna go full on, empty your bedroom, and I really mean empty it, no electronical devices at all, ever, in the room, only bare essentials in the room, some say no digital clock either. Get to bed early, very early, read a book to relax, no electronical devices ever in bed. I personally can't do electronical thing, I use a phone in bed regularly, I can't read, but watch old stuff, stuff I've watched a million times, to unwind before sleep. Phone generally is off at night, not on silent, actually off. Get an alarm clock. Always trying to get to be early in the evening, as I suffer with fatigue, not always possible though. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yeahyeah73

robinbird wrote: »
    Then put the phone away.

Lol thank you, I’m not back to work yet but I appreciate I should have gotten my sleep habits in order before I go back “'Sleep hygiene' means habits that help you have a good night's sleep. Common sleeping problems (such as insomnia) are often caused by bad habits reinforced over years or even decades.” Thanks for the tips though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Reading for up to 30m works for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

supermouse wrote: »
    One of my goals this year too but I’m not a night owl so I think with a few changes I should see improvement- I hope!
    Good luck supermouse with your NY resolution.

Advertisement