Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Went to a charity shop the other day, favourite place to pick up books! They were all 2 for €1. Got a few Stephen King books that I hadn't read. Currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I'm over halfway through so I'll persevere. It's won loads of awards so I feel like I SHOULD be enjoying it more than I am :o
    White Teeth is really funny. It's an easy enough read. Good book

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Mindkiller wrote: »
    White Teeth is really funny. It's an easy enough read. Good book

Yeah it is very funny, but I'm just not really enthralled by the story. Looking forward to finishing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Picked up "girl with the dragon tattoo", "the god delusion" and "half of a yellow sun" in a charity shop in dun drum for 1.50 the other day. Great bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I just started The Reader by Bernhard Schlink today

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Jacques Derrida - The Truth in Painting

College stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I am reading..''True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary'' by St.Louis de montfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've just started Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Frankie Boyle - My Sh1t Life So Far. Only on Chapter 6.

Wouldn't be a massive fan of his tbh, think he overdoes it with the whole 'I'm not PC business', but so far this has been absolutely hilarious. It's like one big collection of 'Scenes We'd Like to See' in narrative form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Finished Michael McIntyre's Life and Laughing (not bad, 3.5/5) and Booker prize winning 'The White Tiger' - which was a surprise. Why but why?! It's mediocre at best. It's content could be shocking to non-Indians, but it's just... sigh!

Thinking I'll start The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it's about Henrietta Lacks, whose cells still live on in various labs around the world decades after she passed away. Heard about it in NPR about a year ago - only getting around to reading it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Secrets of the Heart by Kahlil Gibran and 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

positron wrote: »
    Finished Michael McIntyre's Life and Laughing (not bad, 3.5/5) and Booker prize winning 'The White Tiger' - which was a surprise. Why but why?! It's mediocre at best. It's content could be shocking to non-Indians, but it's just... sigh!

Thinking I'll start The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it's about Henrietta Lacks, whose cells still live on in various labs around the world decades after she passed away. Heard about it in NPR about a year ago - only getting around to reading it now.

Clearly I'm not a literary expect like yourself but I really enjoyed The White Tiger. I thought it was a good story, simple and an easy read but I liked it.
    His other book wasn't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Gur Cakes and Coal Blocks by Eamonn McTomáis. An excellent read. Simple stuff about a young lad growing in Dublin during the war years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Slattsy wrote: »
    Clearly I'm not a literary expect like yourself but I really enjoyed The White Tiger. I thought it was a good story, simple and an easy read but I liked it.
    His other book wasn't as good.

Nah, it's probably me, it won Booker prize after all. The thing is, I am Indian. So it doesn't shock me really - I have read far too many books with similar story lines, situations etc. I didn't like his narration style, his was of addressing it to Chinese Premier etc. It's particularly bad in the beginning and he has become more consistent by the end of the book - probably could do with a rewrite. Again, it's just me and I can't write a paragraph without screwing up badly, so who am I to judge! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

About to start "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson.

Can't wait for some awesome fantasy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've just started "The Ape and the Sushi Master" by Frans de Waal. Very promising so far.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Finished A Game of Thrones last week and now half way through Michael Connelly's The Fifth Witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 britespark

phasers wrote: »
    Tara and Ben
    ANN and BARRY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Currently "Revelation Space" by Alastair Reynolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Magician by Ray Feist.
    So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

triseke wrote: »

On the Crippled God at the moment. Excellent books so far.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

triseke wrote: »

I'll be starting that in the New Year and I can't wait either. I've been looking around for an epic series ever since The Wheel of Time has come to a near end and The Malazen is the one I've chosen.

However I must finish off Polgara The Sorceress first...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Just finished Moby Dick so now I'm reading "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathanial Philbrick, which tells the story of the tragedy of the whale ship Essex, the event that inspired Moby Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rootjuse70

just finished "ready player one" and am working my way through "American Gods" at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't really enjoy reading. And if I start a book I rarely finish it. I prefer just watching TV or reading articles on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

phasers wrote: »
    Tara and Ben

jesus wept, wtf is this sh1t?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No Logo - Naomi Klein

&

Capitalism & Freedom - Milton Friedman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

Bob Dylan's autobiography.

I love Bob Dylan, but tbh i found it sooo boring... i had to stop a couple of chapters in...

How are you finding it? :)

Maybe i just wasn't in the zone for it at the time...

I'm reading the Twilight Saga... I know, I know...

I decided to read it out of curiosity... I think i'm actually beginning to despise it...

I hate the way the roles of male & female are portrayed...

I'm thinking that it's dealing with desire, and from that perspective it's holding my interest, however i'm finding it very hard to see beyond the male/female dynamics :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement