Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody recommend a good sleep clinic?

• 30-01-2020 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been waiting years for appointments etc from the public system.

Had sleep issues all my life. Insomnia at different times , sleep paralysis (though not lately), was diagnoses with sleep apnea and seldom feel rested regardless of sleep hygiene or when I goto bed.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (30 per hour) couple of years ago and when I was struggling with machine a consultant took me off the machine and I’ve been trying to get back to see them since. Finally got some appointment last November but did one or two tests. One showed I hadn’t got apnea anymore although I explained I don’t think I slept at all during the night I had the machine on me. They actually said there were some heart “events” on my sleep apnea tests and they would have to check them out.

I’m sort of not sure where I stand right now. I think I’m waiting to do the sleep apnea test again and maybe a test or two for my heart but that’s it.

Has anybody been to a sleep clinic? I don’t want to waste money if all they will do is confirm I have sleep apnea. Is there any other things you can learn or get from doing a full NCT (if there is such a thing) at a sleep clinic that you wouldn’t get through the public system?

I really find the exhaustion quite debilitating. Get frequent headaches , light sensitivity and probably other health issues as a result of poor sleep quality.

I was also thinking I should be going to a rhespiratory clinic cause I seem to get asthmatic symptoms at least once a year at certain times (usually nov-feb), had pneumonia last year and I the flu the year before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I went to the sleep/respiratory lab in St Vincents private over a year ago. Stayed in overnight hooked up to 40 different cables, found it incredibly hard to fall asleep, in the end I got the bare minimum 3 hours sleep needed for the test.

Results came back very sleep deprived but mild sleep apnea. But I wasn't really convinced. Never wake up feeling rested no matter how long I sleep for. My heart rate spikes a few times during the night which could mean apnea events.

Sometimes I can't fall asleep at night but will easily drift off in the afternoon or early evening. Possibly a combination of insomnia, apnea, a funny circadian rhythm and some poor sleep hygiene habits too.

I've also had sleep paralysis issues since I was a child. Get morning headaches, light sensitivity, get very sleepy if I have to go on a night out I can't keep up with others. Affects my mental health, social life , weight, everything.

This isn't helpful but I hope you find some resolution and you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

fifth wrote: »
    I went to the sleep/respiratory lab in St Vincents private over a year ago. Stayed in overnight hooked up to 40 different cables, found it incredibly hard to fall asleep, in the end I got the bare minimum 3 hours sleep needed for the test.

Results came back very sleep deprived but mild sleep apnea. But I wasn't really convinced. Never wake up feeling rested no matter how long I sleep for. My heart rate spikes a few times during the night which could mean apnea events.

Sometimes I can't fall asleep at night but will easily drift off in the afternoon or early evening. Possibly a combination of insomnia, apnea, a funny circadian rhythm and some poor sleep hygiene habits too.

I've also had sleep paralysis issues since I was a child. Get morning headaches, light sensitivity, get very sleepy if I have to go on a night out I can't keep up with others. Affects my mental health, social life , weight, everything.

This isn't helpful but I hope you find some resolution and you're not alone!

Thanks very much it’s very helpful.

I’ve suffered from sleep paralysis in the past. Had all sorts of sleep issues since I was a child aswell and can relate to all your paragraph I highlighted.

After decades of knowing I’ve always had sleep issues I’m only beginning to feel like they represent a massive debilitating factor in my life. I’m just not sure what to do to find our answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Have you tried an app called SnoreLab? I think it is free. It records the level of snoring in your room during a night and reports on it's findings in the morning - it even records snippets of sound. Before I went onto the CPAP, it indicated my level of snoring was "Epic" and scoring up to 89 out of 100. Since I went on the CPAP I am now down to 3 out of a max score of 100. It might at least give some indication of how bad your possible sleep apnea is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (30 per hour) couple of years ago and when I was struggling with machine a consultant took me off the machine and I’ve been trying to get back to see them since. Finally got some appointment last November but did one or two tests. One showed I hadn’t got apnea anymore although I explained I don’t think I slept at all during the night I had the machine on me. They actually said there were some heart “events” on my sleep apnea tests and they would have to check them out.

I’m sort of not sure where I stand right now. I think I’m waiting to do the sleep apnea test again and maybe a test or two for my heart but that’s it.

Has anybody been to a sleep clinic? I don’t want to waste money if all they will do is confirm I have sleep apnea. Is there any other things you can learn or get from doing a full NCT (if there is such a thing) at a sleep clinic that you wouldn’t get through the public system?
    I did my initial sleep test in the Hermitage. Several dozen wires attached. I would normally sleep on my side, but with the equipment had to sleep on my back. Not the most comfortable sleep.

Found I had bad sleep apnea, and got referred to Peamount, where I stayed overnight to see if the nasal mask suited me. It did, and I started renting one out (about €100 a month, I think?), that was advised to me by the clinic.

After a few months, I found a place that sold refurbished machines, and bought one for €300. Four years later, the machine is still doing it's job. Since then, have found that I can sleep quite well on my back, when using the machine. The machine is fairly silent, and I don't snore when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

the_syco wrote: »
    After a few months, I found a place that sold refurbished machines, and bought one for €300. Four years later, the machine is still doing it's job. Since then, have found that I can sleep quite well on my back, when using the machine. The machine is fairly silent, and I don't snore when using it.

Can you tell me where you bought the refurbished machine? My oldish machine gave up last night and I need to buy one urgently. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fifth wrote: »

mine's very mild but the cpap has been lifechanging. doc was saying they cut off measurements that are below 10s per event so could have lots of those

probably doesn't help OP though since they have a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Sorry to hijack the thread but looking for some advice on which sleep clinic is best and whether it’s worth waiting for a public appointment. I’ve been referred by my gp to the hermitage and another public hospital (can’t remember which one) for a sleep apnea test. I’ve had symptoms (fatigue, daytime sleepiness, reduced energy levels, dry mouth) on an off for two years but it has become chronic in the last two to three months. I don’t have health insurance so was happy to go public at the time but now, especially with the current situation re Covid I’m worried it could be a year or more before I get called. How long were people generally waiting on the public system. Has anyone gone private and what kind of costs are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but looking for some advice on which sleep clinic is best and whether it’s worth waiting for a public appointment. I’ve been referred by my gp to the hermitage and another public hospital (can’t remember which one) for a sleep apnea test. I’ve had symptoms (fatigue, daytime sleepiness, reduced energy levels, dry mouth) on an off for two years but it has become chronic in the last two to three months. I don’t have health insurance so was happy to go public at the time but now, especially with the current situation re Covid I’m worried it could be a year or more before I get called. How long were people generally waiting on the public system. Has anyone gone private and what kind of costs are you looking at?

I have recently just gone through all the stages via the public system. It took two years, in saying that, the proper testing began back in october. I was put through a barrage of tests to see if I fit a certain criteria for a certain sleepy study out of Naas. I have my machine and it's made a massive difference. The only reason I didn't go private was due to changing career and re-skilling but couldn't afford to. I'd get in on the list if I were you and if you can afford to, go privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I have recently just gone through all the stages via the public system. It took two years, in saying that, the proper testing began back in october. I was put through a barrage of tests to see if I fit a certain criteria for a certain sleepy study out of Naas. I have my machine and it's made a massive difference. The only reason I didn't go private was due to changing career and re-skilling but couldn't afford to. I'd get in on the list if I were you and if you can afford to, go privately.

Yes just decided to go privately, couldn’t wait two years. Fair play for sticking that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

Dragging up an old thread but looking for advice. Went to my doctor due to lethargy,headaches,forgetfulness,napping during the day. He did a quick screening test and wants me tested for sleep apnea. Said I'd go private and got a letter yesterday for a guy in Bon Secours,wanted to do a sleep study. Rang Laya and I'm not covered there...but I'm covered(with an excess) in some private hospitals like Sports Surgery Santry and the Hermitage. Anybody attend either of these lately? Recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Thanks. Were you waiting long to see him? And is it just an overnight stay while wired up?Does he give results the next day?Just wondering if I'd have to get a day off work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Couple of months. It’s an overnight, then a visit 2 weeks later. Diagnosis..if you have apnea , he then arranges for CPAP company to meet at home to go through machine, masks etc. they first have it self regulating and they read data to see what max pressure machine needed to achieve, they also check mask wear, then machine is set up for you, ramp pressure , operating press etc. mine is low, 4 ramp and max 7.

I was getting sores from full face mask, so the move me to pillows. Far more comfortable.

I go back to see Prof every 3 years now. I think he has it aswell

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Thanks for the info.

Do you rent the machine? I know the drugs payment scheme kicks in if it's over €80 a month but is it more than that? Does the company charge for that initial visit?

Advertisement