Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy diagnosed with scabies

• 25-06-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

We have a 16 week old rescue puppy who has been diagnosed with scabies.

He has been with us for a month now and was a bit scratch when he came. He was treated for flees etc.. he was back in the vet today for his final vaccination and as his scratching was still there we got the vet to look at it. He did a skin scratch for a sample and diagnosed scabies.

Since getting home I have seen it called mange online and am a bit worried... The vet told us not to worry about it being contagious and didn't think I should worry about Nymeria. Had anybody any experience and should I worry about her being around him.

Drogon, the puppy was given medication intravenously and tablets to take the next while.

Comments

• I don't think demodectic mange is contagious only sarcoptic mange is. So he probably has demodectic if the vet didn't feel Nymeria was in danger of catching it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think demodectic mange is contagious only sarcoptic mange is. So he probably has demodectic if the vet didn't feel Nymeria was in danger of catching it.

Yep, this is most likely the case. It's very much associated with compromised immunity and neglect. It is a bit of a labour of love to get on top of, but with your vet's support, you'll get there :)
    Glad to hear you've dipped the toe again AryaStark, best of luck with your new pup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

DBB wrote: »
    Yep, this is most likely the case. It's very much associated with compromised immunity and neglect. It is a bit of a labour of love to get on top of, but with your vet's support, you'll get there :)
    Glad to hear you've dipped the toe again AryaStark, best of luck with your new pup ;)

Thanks for this... Ill call the vet today just to make sure! I remember when I was young mange was such a problem so I kinda panicked!

Drogon came by mistake but he is now part of the furniture already. Just when we were thinking of maybe looking at another dog I got the call asking could he come stay for 2 days! One night and we had already named him and fell in love!!!

No idea of his background until he was found abandoned in the back of a van with some other young pups. The photo is just to show how cute he is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

He is SUCH a cutie. Those eyes, I can understand why you fell in love!
    How is he getting on - hopefully you caught the mange before it became a huge issue?
    Is Nymeria starting to get used to him?
    Lovely little dog, wish you lots of luck with him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

aonb wrote: »
    He is SUCH a cutie. Those eyes, I can understand why you fell in love!
    How is he getting on - hopefully you caught the mange before it became a huge issue?
    Is Nymeria starting to get used to him?
    Lovely little dog, wish you lots of luck with him :)

He is doing good I think! Still scratching a bit but its hard know what is scabies and what is normal puppy scratching!

Nymeria is a great big sister! They are finally getting close and she will look for him when she is playing or we are going out!
    From the beginning she has let him sleep in her bed and play with her toys.. but she didn't play with them.. now they are playing together which I love. And she will snuggle with him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement