Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

FC is a good movie and it has agreat music i do love the short peice that plays as the cube flys twars earth just before it gets hit by he first 2 torpedos but then the music after the 1st impact and the battle is only decent enough.

Still tho u cant beat KHHHAAAAAAAAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

TNG all the way ;) and heres my reasons.

TOS: I can't really judge it as i've only seen maybe 25 episodes of it, but from what I did, I just couldn't bring myself to believe it, it was just too camp and the aliens, ships and locations all looked worse than the ones they NOW use in Dr. WHO :eek:

TAS: never seen it? didn't realise until this thread that there was one

DS9: IMHO, it seemed like a soap opera version of TNG, the station was the coronation st of space ;) it had its romances, its underhanded scoundrals and the occasional passerby. It was like they had to wait for the action to come to them, the defiant should of been introduced from the outset, rather than just commuting around in runabouts. To much exploration, not enough fighting. It got good in the last season though.

VOY: Didn't like the crew dynamic, can't really explain why, just didn't work as well as TNG, it had its moments, but I really despised Janeway, She was like a man with breasts :p The only saving grace for me was the doctor, I enjoyed everyone of his episodes.

ENT: Never got into it, wish I had, but I only watched one or two episodes here and there per season then forgot about it. I think I would of rathered a leap forward in time rather than a leap back.

TNG: I guess i'm a little biased as there is a certain nostalga associated with tng as I grew up watching it, and have watched the reruns every since. My other half is constantly amazed that I can watch 10 seconds of any episode, any season and tell you the storyline, its sad but true :rolleyes: The characters where excellently developed, although I do think it went a little overboard in the last season. I can admit I went to a few conventions in my youth and watching preview showings of the likes of generations or genesis where excellent. The biggest factor for me though was the fact that I could believe it, the history, the technology, the dynamics where all believeable. The movies, however, where utter muck :mad:

i grew up watching TOS when i was 5...... but i still don't think the one i grew up watching was the best.

TNG was good but some episodes where terrible, also the way u can watch 10 seconds and know i can do that in 10 and with every single series except maybe TAS and some TOS`s ive only seen once.

DS9 i loved because it was a good story arc, TNG was like a different story every week with not much in the way of major character changes
    DS9 was also the 3rd most nominated drama series ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

L31mr0d wrote:
    My other half is constantly amazed that I can watch 10 seconds of any episode, any season and tell you the storyline, its sad but true :rolleyes:
    Guilty of that myself :D

It's also one of the few shows that I'll still want to watch, even after explaining the entire plot of the episode to whoever's listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

TNG was laid out a lot like other US series at the time, like the Xfiles for example, each week was a completely different story, but every few episodes they would come back to an underlying subplot and expand it more (deepthroat, the cancer man.. etc) They did the same with TNG (Troy and Riker, Data, Lore and his father, Picard & the borg...etc).

DS9 seemed to come out at a time when shows started to become more linear (we can see this now in the likes of 24, Prison break, lost) and each week developed ONLY the plot, although DS9 still had its moments where the subplot was ignored. It comes down to what you like more of, TNG did a lot of development on what was out in space, DS9 did a lot of development into characters and different races. Each attracted the viewers, but I doubt anybody could like each equally as the premise tackled the idea of space exploration from 2 very different approachs (i.e. go out an explore and find races or position ourselves in a place that races will come to us)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

For me it's got to be either Voyager or TNG. Unfortunately there was a time when I missed almost a full series of DS9 and when I returned there was evil Cisco and other evil characters...I was completely lost and didn't really watch it after that.

Looking back at TNG it already looks really dated to me! If I ever have kids I can see them looking at it and laughing loudly at the fact that it was once considered hi-tech and futuristic much the same as me today with TOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

r3nu4l wrote:
    For me it's got to be either Voyager or TNG. Unfortunately there was a time when I missed almost a full series of DS9 and when I returned there was evil Cisco and other evil characters...I was completely lost and didn't really watch it after that.

Looking back at TNG it already looks really dated to me! If I ever have kids I can see them looking at it and laughing loudly at the fact that it was once considered hi-tech and futuristic much the same as me today with TOS :)

Im not so sure, the first series looks terribly dated in places but the special effects are still competent, the stop motion for the bug creatures in that rubbish episode where they eat worms for example is dated but the episode where they encounter "god" who looks after the edo, the sphere which is meant to represent this god like being looks pretty good. Definately the med lab looks a bit cheesy though. and the episode where they get turned into kids due to a transporter malfunction - when they view a schematic of the enterprise, it looks terrible, the polygon count and resolution is so low, I find it hard to imagine why computer graphics now are actually better than those in the 24th century. But other than that it still passes muster somewhat. Special effects really havent improved that much since 1997. Starship troopers looks like it could have been made yesterday. Although I tend to agree that tng is dated in places and very cheesy for the first season, not so much the 2nd where the cheese started to ebb away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DS9 closely followed by TNG. But nothing beats the fifth season of DS9.

actually for me it was the 4th season because i watched the first season of ds9 then i dont know what happened

(i actually don't know there is a dead spot in my memory from back then im missing about 2/3 years of my memory but i do know that i didn't watch ds9 for those 2/3 years)

anyway i remember seeing an add on TV for the VHS of Season 4 episode 1 "the way of the warrior" so i bought the VHS and it was savage (funny story every time i try to type VHS i type DVD and have to back over it and change it)

anyway the 4th season got me back into it but given choice it would have to be season 6 because of the episode on Romulus or some of the later episodes on cardassia actually the episode where the breen entered the war!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I may be mistaken but I think the Breen entered the war in the 7th season.

The 4th season was intended as a kind of reboot and brought in a lot of new viewers I reckon, especially with the addition of Worf, who got much better stories then he ever got in TNG.

The quality of the 6th season was very inconsistent imo but it had some of the show's best episodes, like In The Pale Moonlight, Far Beyond the Stars, Rocks and Shoals. The biggest problem was the writer's really hit the wall in terms of what Berman & Paramount were going to let them away with.

• Advertisement

it was the 7th season as far as i remember it was 5 episodes before the last which means that they where in it for 7 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Biased but TNG was really good, i really like the seasons 4-7 on DS9 with the klingons and then the war with the dominion my fav episode is where the federation is going to take back ds9 and the kilngons cant spare any ships, wham then halfway through they appear predicatable but great stuff.

I loved enterprise as it wouldnt be too far away from what we'd be like if we were floating around space now.

enterprise had some good episodes i liked the 2nd or 3rd episode it had a unknown alien ship extracting something similar to the human adrenal gland from dead aliens and i have an ider (yes ider) that that was a breen ship but it ws never revealed what species it was.

I know the episode of ds9 you refer to it was
    Episode 6 Sacrifice of angels
    also known as
    VHS tape no 6.3 (episode II)

Its a good episode but i still like "In the Pale Moonlight" the most along with "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" both Amazing episodes

also of note

Treachery, Faith and the Great River
    Once More Unto the Breach
    The Siege of AR-558
    The Changing Face Of Evil
    What you leave behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

My favourite is Voyager... I just love it.... Like.. I was first of all thinking about the "friendship" between the Cap'ain and Chakotay.... and sher then in the end doesn't Chakotay fall fer Seven!!!

In CLOSE second I love Next Generation.... Patrick Stewart.. What a man eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The Next Generation for the win. Haven't seen any TAS though, and only ever caught 3 quarters of a DS9 episode, so I can't really comment about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Gotta be TNG, and i think it's more to do with the general likeability of the crew. All of them were great (as long as Wesley kept his trap shut). Loved DS9, quite liked that crew too. Esp Odo, Sisko and Quark. And the space-scraps:)

I'm suprised so few people voted for TOS. This is probably my second favourite (joint, tied with DS9). Prime directive, my arse, as Kirk would probably have thought.

Liked Voyager, but didn't love it. I just found some of the crew a bit irritating.

And Enterprise never really grabbed me. I must give it another shot.

TAS used to be on Sky in the mornings, don't remember being too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

I've already stated that my Favourite is DS9 & that it's closely followed by TNG.
    But i just wanted to say how much i loved the arc in season 6 when The Federation plotted an attack to re-take DS9 after The Cardassians with the help of The Dominion took control of it after the federation were forced to abandon it in the last episode of season 5.
    That was probably the most exciting arc in the history of Star Trek & it had me glued to my seat every week.

Also I thought Enterprise was starting to get really good (after a slow start) & i was quite disappointed when it was cancelled as it looked to have the potential to rival the other series.
    It certainly out shined Voyager in it's 4 short seasons.

Plus any1 who said that they preferred Voyager over DS9 or TNG is NOT A TRUE STAR TREK FAN!!!

1): DS9
    2): TNG
    3): TOS/ENT
    4): TAS
    5): VOY

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Totally TNG:D but also liked most of the series. Enterprise sucked though, they could've so much more with the story but they just did the same boring old thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

DS9 closely followed by TNG. But nothing beats the fifth season of DS9.

agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Another DS9 fan here - just loved how deep and dark it got (as well as the odd lighter episode to keep the faith!!).

Fav DS9 episode anyone? Gotta be "Far beyond the Stars"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

if you can just imagine a graph chart for a minute ( this is the way i can see it) and you got a different colour marker to rep. each star trek, this is how it will look
    kirk & the boys
    stayed at the same level ( give or take) all the time.
    TNG
    slow to take off, but season 3 to end of season 5 jumped up, it dipped a bit in the last two seasons.
    DEEP SPACE 9---the chart just kept going up and up and up and up......
    Voyager---started really high and kept going down and down and down.....
    Archer and the boys---like kirk, just stayed the same all the time.

favouite deep space nine, i reckon season 6 & 7 were better than season 5, but i still rank season 5 my favourite cause thats when the chart went of the page.

The one image that comes to my mind when i think of deep space nine is the image of ROM setting of the alarms cause ODO ( who was off pulling shapes in his room ) forgot to turn the alarms off and then KIRA goes marching to ODO and bangs the buzzer on his door. forget the name of that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

DS9 is by far the worst trek. Especially before the defiant was introduced. Still a great series though. They all rule. I think it goes in this order, The original series 1st, the next generation a close 2nd, voyager and enterprise tie for third with DS9 last. I have seen every episode of Star Trek at least 5 times (for every one not just the original). However I have seen none of the animated series. Its never been on telly in the recent past (to my Knowledge). I read that they put a few episodes intended for phase two in it and that it has some great ideas. Can anyone tell me where they can be watched online?

DS9 is by far the worst trek. Especially before the defiant was introduced. Still a great series though. They all rule. I think it goes in this order, The original series 1st, the next generation a close 2nd, voyager and enterprise tie for third with DS9 last. I have seen every episode of Star Trek at least 5 times (for every one not just the original). However I have seen none of the animated series. Its never been on telly in the recent past (to my Knowledge). I read that they put a few episodes intended for phase two in it and that it has some great ideas. Can anyone tell me where they can be watched online?

How can you like Enterprise over DS9? It's by far the worst Star Trek series ever made! They attempted to rewrite the Star Trek history numerous times(like with the first contact between the Frengi and the Klingons) and they even got as pathetic as having shower scenes of the Vulcan chick! Ok, I'm not really trying to have a go at you but I just can't fathom how any of the other Star Trek series were worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amqc

Voyager is the best by far, . the most contemporary and not so stuck up themselves, they decided NOT to have a councilor as a bridge officer!

amqc wrote:
    Voyager is the best by far, . the most contemporary and not so stuck up themselves, they decided NOT to have a councilor as a bridge officer!

As far as I can tell TNG was the only show to have a councilor as a bridge officer and the whole point of her being on the bridge so much was because she was an empath so it made sense for her to be there to sense things. Besides how on earth could Voyager have a councilor as a bridge officer anyway, they didn't even have one! Oh and my the way she did put in the hard yards to earn her uniform in the end!

Yes they had a female as a captain but she was such a boring character that it hardly mattered and the writers couldn't even agree on her personality half the time, one episode she's be banging on about the prime directive and in the next one she'd be openly ignoring it so her crew could increase their chances of getting home!

Having said that I actually like Voyager but TNG is my fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

LilKitty wrote:
    How can you like Enterprise over DS9?

I can like enterprise over DS9 as DS9 is a hit and miss series with episodes being either the most awful Trek episodes ever or some of the best sci-fi around. Enterprise was more consistent entertainment in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

My favourite's definately DS9, admittedly the first 2 seasons were crap, and it only really got started in the fourth but there were such gems in there, "The Visitor" remains the only tv episode / film or what not to make me cry. I loved how dark DS9 was, twisted morals, behaviour. TNG was .... a bit too goody two shoes for me.

I can like enterprise over DS9 as DS9 is a hit and miss series with episodes being either the most awful Trek episodes ever or some of the best sci-fi around. Enterprise was more consistent entertainment in my view.

You choose your fav Star Trek series on consistency? What if some is just consistently boring?

• Advertisement

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    My favourite's definately DS9, admittedly the first 2 seasons were crap, and it only really got started in the fourth but there were such gems in there, "The Visitor" remains the only tv episode / film or what not to make me cry. I loved how dark DS9 was, twisted morals, behaviour. TNG was .... a bit too goody two shoes for me.

TNG was more goody two shoes than DS9 but not as much as Voyager.

I actually like the early episodes more because the last few seasons were just like one big episode and I wasn't into the huge war stuff going on for so long. I guess I'm one of those trekkies that's more interested in the exploration aspect of Star Trek than the wars aspect.

Advertisement