09-06-2021, 08:15   #5671
Bobtheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
I just finished watching The Visitor again. Words fail me. I don't think I've ever watched any TV show, film or anything else that affects me as much as that episode does. It's a beautifully crafted piece of work that choked me up and had tears rolling down my face several times. Simply stunning.
What show is that?
Advertisement
09-06-2021, 08:38   #5672
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtheman View Post
What show is that?
DS9.
An elderly Jake Sisko is telling the story of how he spent his life trying to save his father. You'd need a heart of stone not to be moved at least a little by that episode. If you haven't watched it before, do it now. "The Visitor" is DS9, and possibly Trek, at it's very best.
(3) thanks from:
09-06-2021, 08:42   #5673
knucklehead6
SMILEY MINION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtheman View Post
What show is that?
DS9. The one where Sisko disappears and Jake gets old.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...itor_(episode)
09-06-2021, 09:04   #5674
pixelburp

DS9 had the best character writing in Trek, hands down. So its solo adventures were nearly always Trek at its peak; Jake Sisko was a bit of a drip at times, but an infinitely better written and constructed character than Wesley ever was. It was also nice to watch a TV show where its father/teenage-son dynamic wasn't built on conflict or drama; they both loved and supported each other, even if they sometimes had different perspectives on topics.
09-06-2021, 09:39   #5675
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
DS9 had the best character writing in Trek, hands down. So its solo adventures were nearly always Trek at its peak; Jake Sisko was a bit of a drip at times, but an infinitely better written and constructed character than Wesley ever was. It was also nice to watch a TV show where its father/teenage-son dynamic wasn't built on conflict or drama; they both loved and supported each other, even if they sometimes had different perspectives on topics.
Also Jake's antics with Nog gave the Station a proper community feel to it. They seemed like real kids, doing what real kids would do if stuck on a space station.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2021, 10:32   #5676
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
Also Jake's antics with Nog gave the Station a proper community feel to it. They seemed like real kids, doing what real kids would do if stuck on a space station.
Writing for children is often a make-or-break with any production; it's incredibly difficult to get that sense of authentic young people, sounding and behaving like actual children. Stranger Things nailed it pretty well, whereas TNG was just fantastically awful; a child genius isn't impossible, but neither the writers nor actor could get a grasp on the character.
Thanks from:
09-06-2021, 13:03   #5677
TheValeyard

Suppose DS9 also had real life family dramas. Whole thing felt more natural.
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2021, 20:35   #5678
breezy1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Brooks was very clear when taking the role that it would be a loving and supportive relationship. Something got to do with not wanting to be like the stereotype black fathers common in TV at the time
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2021, 22:39   #5679
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1985 View Post
Brooks was very clear when taking the role that it would be a loving and supportive relationship. Something got to do with not wanting to be like the stereotype black fathers common in TV at the time
And to his credit, the Siskos are probably one of the more believable and heart-warming Father / Son relationships I've seen on television.

Kind of interesting that the most believable family dynamic I've seen on TV kicked off with the mother being killed by Cyborg monsters, peaked with a story about time-travel, and finished with the dad becoming a Space-God....

Makes you think....
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2021, 22:50   #5680
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
DS9.
An elderly Jake Sisko is telling the story of how he spent his life trying to save his father. You'd need a heart of stone not to be moved at least a little by that episode. If you haven't watched it before, do it now. "The Visitor" is DS9, and possibly Trek, at it's very best.
"All good things"part two when they are showing the characters time on the station always moves me but at the same time I think it could have been better like Quarks is terrible.
10-06-2021, 09:38   #5681
AMKC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trek...2968/?sfnsn=mo

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion