Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legion TV Series.

Options
  • 09-02-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭

The Legion pilot is truly amazing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Looking forward to watching this later.

Well shît, that was a phenomenal episode of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Well shît, that was a phenomenal episode of television.

It was savage. I think you summed it up perfectly!

Possibly the best series opener I have ever seen. I think I was lucky in that I hadn't seen any trailers, so everything on the screen was new to me.

It was a master class in cinematography (Not that I would know much about such things)

The sets, the dialogue, the acting & music were superb.

It was nothing short of perfection as far as I am concerned. I sat watching it with a huge grin on my face! :) It all worked so well, especially the bit where it went letterbox/widescreen. How cool and apt was that?

The worry is, that was the series opener, and it was top notch, but was that because it was the season opener and the story suited it? Could they actually sustain such wizardry for a whole season? I am doubtful, but glad they did what they did!

Even if the series doesn't work out, I'll still go back and watch that episode again at some stage.

On a side note, serious bang of Noel Gallagher'ism of yer man :)

If you are reading this and and it's all new to you, just watch the first episode, avoid the trailers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

caught up to episode 5 tonight.

by jaysus its a REALLY good show !

and just seen on its Wiki page that a second seasons be secured this very day so were getting more of it.

cant wait.

its the most unique show in the genre out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FYI, there's another thread on this in the TV General forum that has a bit more chat.

• Advertisement

caught up to episode 5 tonight.

by jaysus its a REALLY good show !

and just seen on its Wiki page that a second seasons be secured this very day so were getting more of it.

cant wait.

its the most unique show in the genre out there.

I haven't caught the latest episode yet but absolutley agree; phenomenal show. Delighted it's been renewed. Dan Stevens is great and perfectly captures the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Chapter 7 was probably it's best to date for me.

Aubrey Plaza has been brilliant in the show. I hope to see more of her next season but I'm not sure how realistic that possibility is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yup.

brilliant. practically "the matrix" level IMO in places. its such a damn good character piece to boot.

im actually half depressed theres only ONE episode left.

:D

dunno where theyre gonna go for the next season but they got more out of the shadow king story line than i ever thought would be possible on a TV show. i just loved that bit with the blackboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Really enjoyed episode 7.

Episode 6 was sp bizarre.

Am trying to get so many people to watch it.

Delighted it got a second series

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm only two episodes into this and really uncomfortable with this show, is this Scientology propaganda?

The whole 'voices are the real you', 'mental illness is only a lie designed to repress your real power and potential', 'psychiatric medicine is a conspiratorial lie' crap is getting to me. By episode two they're sitting around a table gripping freaking Scientology e meters in an 'auditing session' to explore memories and it smacks of 'going clear', is this satire or something worrying? Because I really don't want to continue watching this show, it's uncomfortable viewing and it's portrayal of mental illness as a maguffin is very, very wrong. I can buy radio active spider bites and even a Matrix like 'taking the red pill' metaphor, but going off your meds because the doctors are conspiring against you is some seriously fukked up message to put out and this show is utterly irresponsible at best, scientology propaganda at worst.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm only two episodes into this and really uncomfortable with this show, is this Scientology propaganda?

The whole 'voices are the real you', 'mental illness is only a lie designed to repress your real power and potential', 'psychiatric medicine is a conspiratorial lie' crap is getting to me. By episode two they're sitting around a table gripping freaking Scientology e meters in an 'auditing session' to explore memories and it smacks of 'going clear', is this satire or something worrying? Because I really don't want to continue watching this show, it's uncomfortable viewing and it's portrayal of mental illness as a maguffin is very, very wrong. I can buy radio active spider bites and even a Matrix like 'taking the red pill' metaphor, but going off your meds because the doctors are conspiring against you is some seriously fukked up message to put out and this show is utterly irresponsible at best, scientology propaganda at worst.

I suggest you continue watching. Although you've really taken things up the wrong way in the first two episodes so it might not get better for you.

No idea where you're coming from with the scientology stuff btw. It's a superhero show. The main protagonist has telepathic and telekinesis powers and the mutant story has always been about people not fitting in to society. Doctors misdiagnosing mutant powers as a form of mental disorder or condition makes a lot of sense. David (as you're only on episode 2 I won't say much) has been told his whole life he has mental disorders and he's ill, he's been freed and the other mutants are helping him to piece together his life. That they are doing this through a mutant that can take you through your memories is a genius mechanism IMO.

And yes, at times it is uncomfortable viewing but I like that about the show. It uses audio and visual trickery to disorient the viewer (much like David is disoriented) and its brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bacchus wrote: »
    I suggest you continue watching. Although you've really taken things up the wrong way in the first two episodes so it might not get better for you.

No idea where you're coming from with the scientology stuff btw. It's a superhero show. The main protagonist has telepathic and telekinesis powers and the mutant story has always been about people not fitting in to society. Doctors misdiagnosing mutant powers as a form of mental disorder or condition makes a lot of sense. David (as you're only on episode 2 I won't say much) has been told his whole life he has mental disorders and he's ill, he's been freed and the other mutants are helping him to piece together his life. That they are doing this through a mutant that can take you through your memories is a genius mechanism IMO.

And yes, at times it is uncomfortable viewing but I like that about the show. It uses audio and visual trickery to disorient the viewer (much like David is disoriented) and its brilliant :)

There is a rather stark comparison between scenes in the show and Scientology practices particluarly 'auditing':

scn6a_auditing_en_US.jpg

(Scientology founder) Hubbard was critical of psychiatry.Referring to psychiatrists as "psychs", Hubbard regarded psychiatrists as denying human spirituality and peddling fake cures. He was also convinced that psychiatrists were themselves deeply unethical individuals, committing "extortion, mayhem and murder. Our files are full of evidence on them."

The show (well in the first couple of episodes I watched) makes subtle allusions to Scientology. Even if I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether, I have no discomfort with it's visual style, I'm not however impressed with it's use of schizophrenia as a mcguffin or how it also relects Scientology's view of psychiatry and I just wonder if there isn't a bit of hollywood scientology propagana at play here.

conorhal wrote: »
    There is a rather stark comparison between scenes in the show and Scientology practices particluarly 'auditing':

scn6a_auditing_en_US.jpg

(Scientology founder) Hubbard was critical of psychiatry.Referring to psychiatrists as "psychs", Hubbard regarded psychiatrists as denying human spirituality and peddling fake cures. He was also convinced that psychiatrists were themselves deeply unethical individuals, committing "extortion, mayhem and murder. Our files are full of evidence on them."

The show (well in the first couple of episodes I watched) makes subtle allusions to Scientology. Even if I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether, I have no discomfort with it's visual style, I'm not however impressed with it's use of schizophrenia as a mcguffin or how it also relects Scientology's view of psychiatry and I just wonder if there isn't a bit of hollywood scientology propagana at play here.

Do Scientology have a monopoly on holding cylindrical devices? It was clear that room and the devices were there to enhance the memory guys powers, much like Xavier with Cerebro. I think you're reading too much into it. You'll see (if you continue) that David's problems are nothing to do with medication and are entirely rooted in good old mutant shenanigans :)

What other allusions to scientology are there out of interest?

What's wrong with the schizophrenia angle btw? You call it a McGuffin, I see it as a wonderful take on how we (humanity) views the emerging mutant population... hearing voices? Yup you're schizophrenic. Afraid to be touched? Claim you can remember your own birth? Say you're the Iron Fist (from another Marvel show)? Mutant stories have always been about isolation at their core and what better way to do that than have the protagonist believe he is ill because it's all he's been told his whole life. Anyway, if you continue to watch the show you'll see where it all stems from and it's very much mutant related. As I mentioned before, I really like how they view mutant powers as mental disorders. There's an episode in particular that really pushed that. I loved it... my impression is you'll be offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well I thought this awesome show was trippy enough but I guess some people found it far tripier if they are seeing conspiracy scientology.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Returns April 3th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

YES. IT. DOES!

and a promo:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amorphous!
    adjective
    adjective: amorphous

without a clearly defined shape or form.

• Advertisement

legionposter.jpg

Advertisement