Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's my first time, be gentle. Couple of questions :
    I've run the character generator. Are the only important aspects of it the 6 stats on the right, or do I need to pay attention to the other numbers, abilities etc? Also, does it randomly assign points to those stats or will it skew them in favour of my chosen class ?
    Am I supposed to keep things like my stats to myself or is it freely available to the group? (I have questions but I'm not sure I'm supposed to ask them openly)
    Can I change things like the height or age I've been given without affecting those stats? I'm not sure I can identify with one so young, tall and beautiful as my sheet is telling me I am...
    do I - as the character sheet suggests - need to sketch a sigil or coat of arms, or come up with an awesome back story, or photoshop a big knife into a Fabio glamour shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok stupid question time:

I've rolled my 3d6 for each stat on my sheet. I've gotten **** rolls in all of them. (you will all come to learn that I am the QUEEN of **** rolls)
    Str: 11 (mod 0)
    Dex: 10 (mod 0)
    Con: 11 (mod 0)
    Int: 9 (mod 0)
    Wis: 11 (mod 0)
    Char: 11 (mod 0)

So for thieves the Prime requirement is Dex. What's the 63 points for? Are they additional points I add onto the stats? Or do I minus from one stat (eg Strength) to add on to the Dexterity stat? So I'd have 10 in Strength but 11 in Dex?

In some games I've played you get like 60 points to spend but it costs 1 point to add on 1 to any stat, it costs 2 points to add another point etc. So the 60 points wouldn't last long. To add on 5 points in a stat it would cost you 12 points.

Do we choose a race?

What is the thief skills table for thieves on pg11 of the rule book? Do I put those in the 'Special Abilities' section of my character sheet? Not sure what the numbers are for different levels either. Is that the difficulty level for the roll? What am I rolling with? A d6?

How much gold/silver do we get and when do we go shopping? (of course the woman has to ask this question!) Do we start with anything?

The thieves portion of the rules say the Hit Dice is a d4. Does that mean I roll a d4 to get my HP or does it mean all my damage from attacks will be with a d4? Please say it's option 2 there. Coz I don't think I can deal with having 1HP (which is highly likely with how I roll).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Right, using the character creator linked, I got stats of....

Magic User

STR: 13
    DEX: 9
    CON: 9
    INT: 14
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 14

Poison or Death Ray: 13
    Magic Wand: 13
    Paralysis & Petrification: 13
    Dragon Breath: 16
    Spells and Magic Staff: 14

I think, if I'm reading right, I've got to choose one Level 1 Spell to start off with. Still considering which one for now. Also need to figure out what to put in my HP and AC boxes, but will be continuing to read on over the day :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Do we keep the character sheets private? I would have thought no? Here's what I got...

STR: 10
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 11
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 9

Can post full sheet if we're allowed :pac:

OK, it appears based on the ones above that I got a ****ing great set of rolls.
    Str 16
    Dex 16
    Con 13
    Int 9
    Wis 12
    Cha 18

Seems a little too good to me. I've possibly done something wrong.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    OK, it appears based on the ones above that I got a ****ing great set of rolls.
    Str 16
    Dex 16
    Con 13
    Int 9
    Wis 12
    Cha 18

We've got our party leader then :P

please protect me....

From the rule book.
    Magic-users and elves study the spells from their spell books, and begin play with a few more spells in their books than they are able to cast based on their level. The player may choose two first level spells and one second level spell, but any other spells can only be added to a spell book through game play.

So, am I right in saying I need to have a Spell Book in my inventory (can I just add that to start things off?), I choose 2 level one spells and 1 level 2 spell to write into the book, BUT at Level One, I can only actually use one spell (one of the level one spells), at Level Two, I can use the two Level One spells, and at Level 3, I can use the 2 Level One Spells and the 1 Level Two spell?

And after that, I have to find the recipes for the other spells in the game world as we play?

(Sorry for all the questions Fourier; you apologised earlier for being a "bit of a bore", but I'm actually really enjoying trying to learn all of this :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can we try a life of this, and when we die, if there is somebody else wanting to play, we sit out and let them in?
    Would like to try this out, but not steal a chance from somebody else who already knows how to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fourier above you mentioned we had 63 points to spend on our abilities, what's the cost breakdown there? Can't see anything in the rules on point buy.

Would you rather we rolled each stat to avoid some minmaxing and others with less meta builds?

And are we going to be tracking details like ammunition, retrieval of said ammunition, food, water, carry weight?

*edit* I see, every stat starts at 0 and its a one for one cost price. Interesting.

What did I tell ya? Rolled a 1 on the ****ing HP roll. So I have 1 hit point before I die. :rolleyes:
    *edit* I see, every stat starts at 0 and its a one for one cost price. Interesting.

Ooh where did you see that? On Pg6 it says "Character abilities must be determined by rolling randomly. Roll 3d6 for each of the abilities."

And then on Pg7 it says "2 ability points may be sacrificed from one ability to raise one prime requisite ability 1 point".

I'm still not sure what the 63 points are for.

• Advertisement

This thread is going way over my head. But I am following with interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Using the Char Gen linked above, 3d6 (add all) for Lvl1 Elf.

I'm Saeros the Verteran Prestidigator, a male elf, lawful. Apparently I'm old, amoral and have a penchant for gambling, just like real life...apart from the gambling. :)

Str: 9
    Dex: 8
    Cons:15
    Int: 14
    Wis: 9
    Char: 14

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This thread is going way over my head. But I am following with interest :)

It may sound complicated but once you have the book to guide you through its quite straightforward. (mostly)

I have developed a shopping list. How much I can buy depends on how much moolah we get to start off with. I've expensive tastes. :cool:

OldGoat wrote: »
    Saeros the Verteran Prestidigator

AWESOME NAME!

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    It may sound complicated but once you have the book to guide you through its quite straightforward. (mostly)

I have developed a shopping list. How much I can buy depends on how much moolah we get to start off with. I've expensive tastes. :cool:

With one HP, some armour might be an idea :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With one HP, some armour might be an idea :P

Leather armour I think is all a thief is allowed to wear. So believe me when I say I will NOT be fighting. I will be hiding. And maybe popping out like a terrier to bite at ankles when people aren't looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

AWESOME NAME!

Mine is Bandylegs McGillicuddy. And I'm not changing :p

Necrominus wrote: »
    Mine is Bandylegs McGillicuddy. And I'm not changing :p

Lol. I haven't chosen a name yet. But I probably won't have a last name. Coz I don't trust you ****ers with it.

Rolled a 3 for my HP :)
    Leather armour I think is all a thief is allowed to wear. So believe me when I say I will NOT be fighting. I will be hiding. And maybe popping out like a terrier to bite at ankles when people aren't looking.

At least you get armor :(

sKeith wrote: »
    Can we try a life of this, and when we die, if there is somebody else wanting to play, we sit out and let them in?
    Would like to try this out, but not steal a chance from somebody else who already knows how to play this.

This isn't a bad idea actually. Or you could just join us? I don't think there's a set number of players? It doesn't have to be just 1 per class.

I would also propose that all posts in the game thread are in character. So no non-game related discussion is allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

AWESOME NAME!
    All credit to the Labyrinth Lord Character generator. I usually just call myself Goat in any games requiring a name. It's where my Boards name comes from rather that the other way around.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

My sheet shows 8 for HP. That seems way out of whack with what everyone else is getting.
    Do fighters naturally have more or have I been given some freakish maxed build?
    I can roll again if need be.

But Mauler Fiole don't roll no dice, he rolls laydeez. In the hay, like. Not down stairs or anything.

I think fighters usually have more HP coz they're out in front and get hit more often. Me and Lordy are gonna hide behind you.

My sheet shows 8 for HP. That seems way out of whack with what everyone else is getting.

Fighters get to roll 1d8, so you got the best score possible for your class.

As a magic user, I got 1d4, so my hp was going to be, at best, 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What did I tell ya? Rolled a 1 on the ****ing HP roll. So I have 1 hit point before I die. :rolleyes:

Ooh where did you see that? On Pg6 it says "Character abilities must be determined by rolling randomly. Roll 3d6 for each of the abilities."

And then on Pg7 it says "2 ability points may be sacrificed from one ability to raise one prime requisite ability 1 point".

I'm still not sure what the 63 points are for.

This is quoted from Fourier above
    Just to get started on the characters, you have 63 points to put into your six attributes. No attribute can be lower than 3 points or higher than 18 points. An example:

Strength: 9
    Dexterity: 10
    Constitution: 14
    Intelligence: 13
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 9

9+10+14+13+8+9=63

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fighters get to roll 1d8, so you got the best score possible for your class.

As a magic user, I got 1d4, so my hp was going to be, at best, 4.

I got 2 HP with an adjustment of +1 for my mighty fine constitution. It's probably all the ale I drink :P (Which is, in fact, true to life :pac::pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

But Mauler Fiole don't roll no dice, he rolls laydeez. In the hay, like. Not down stairs or anything.

Well if 8 seems out of whack, then my 74 seems supernatural.

I got 2 HP with an adjustment of +1 for my mighty fine constitution. It's probably all the ale I drink :P (Which is, in fact, true to life :pac::pac:)

Ok, come join me and Molly behind Banjo. And bring the ale.

Some information about Bandylegs you may or may not like to know:

Languages: Common, Neutral, Dwarvish, Goblin, Gnome, Kobold

Armor Class: 4

Height: 3'8"

Weight: 171#

General Appearance: Unkempt

Sanity: Insane

Tendencies: Foul/barbaric

Personality: Extrovert - Antagonistic

Disposition: Proud/haughty

Nature: Hard-hearted

Honesty: Average

Energy: Normal

Morals: Lusty

Intellect: Average

Materialism: Greedy

Bravery: Normal

Thrift: Spendthrift

Piety: Martyr/zealot

Interests: Collector - Swords

You are the only child of a Dwarven Prison Guard. You are a credit to the family. You have dark brown eyes, straight
    black hair, a three foot beard, and a dark complexion

• Advertisement

Some information about Bandylegs you may or may not like to know:

Languages: Common, Neutral, Dwarvish, Goblin, Gnome, Kobold

Armor Class: 4

Height: 3'8"

Weight: 171#

General Appearance: Unkempt

Sanity: Insane

Tendencies: Foul/barbaric

Personality: Extrovert - Antagonistic

Disposition: Proud/haughty

Nature: Hard-hearted

Honesty: Average

Energy: Normal

Morals: Lusty

Intellect: Average

Materialism: Greedy

Bravery: Normal

Thrift: Spendthrift

Piety: Martyr/zealot

Interests: Collector - Swords

You are the only child of a Dwarven Prison Guard. You are a credit to the family. You have dark brown eyes, straight
    black hair, a three foot beard, and a dark complexion

Oh Christ you're gonna be fun to work with!

Advertisement