Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week car rental

• 11-02-2018 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

Not sure it this is the correct forum, please move if it is not.

Long story short I've recently sold my car as I'm in the process of liquidating most my assets. However I am now looking to rent a car for approximately 6 weeks.

The longer end of things.... I'm based in Dublin. I'm not looking for anything fancy - any car will do it's simply a matter of driving a few kilometres a day. I've never rented a car in Dublin so not sure how the insurance side of things work. I was thinking of cancelling my own insurance. However, if I rent a car how does cover work on That? Additionally, will my own insurance cover me if I don't even own a vehicle anymore? I've tried using comparerravel.ie to get quotes for a 6 week period of time but the site falls over when I search for that length of time. Having a look at hertz they only seem to open at certain days and times and as I work full time still that doesn't work for me for the most part. I really have no idea where to start. Any comments and help appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I'm coming towards the end of 6 weeks rental. In total it has cost me less than 150 euro. I rented in 2 week increments from Europcar in the city centre but I booked it through Renralcars.com
    For example I just switched cars last week and I have the car for next 10 days for 5 euro a day.
    Put in different combinations on rental cars . Com - I found anything over 2 weeks pushed the price up massively but under a week cost only 2 or 3 euro less than a fortnight ... so a little patience is required.
    If you refuse all their upselling you will be covered with basic insurance but!! You will need 1500 free on your credit card as you will need to pre-auth that for their excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yup, rentalcars.com is the cheapest way to go by far. just do it in 2 week blocks, and make sure it's a full to full fuel rental. Pick up in the airport is cheapest.
    (At the minute it's €345 for a month, but only €62 for 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Yup, rentalcars.com is the cheapest way to go by far. just do it in 2 week blocks, and make sure it's a full to full fuel rental. Pick up in the airport is cheapest.
    (At the minute it's €345 for a month, but only €62 for 2 weeks).

That's what I'll do and pick it up today. Thank you very much everyone.

Be aware that they will try to sell you extra insurance at the counter. It's up to you whether you take the chance or not. I never pay it, but you may be unlucky, they charge a lot for a scratch. Make sure you have enough credit on your card because they will block book €1200 to €1500 if you don't take the extra insurance. Note any damage to the exterior and bring it to their attention, and take photos and a video of the exterior to cover yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Op take a look at car hire excess insurance policies , they cover you for damage to the rental car for much less than the rental company charges

• Advertisement

unfortunately a lot of them won't cover you if you're hiring in your own country, and if they do they are heavily loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Op take a look at car hire excess insurance policies , they cover you for damage to the rental car for much less than the rental company charges

The car hire company still take an authorisation on your credit card. They claim off you, you claim off the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Yeah so apparently they charge you a daily rate that is non-refundable if you don't have a CC in your own name. Absolute disgrace. Stuck now until my CC comes in from my own bank.

Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

unfortunately a lot of them won't cover you if you're hiring in your own country, and if they do they are heavily loaded.

I have a yearly policy from carhireexcess.ie which covers the whole of Europe, including Ireland. It costs just 50 EUR. Good price for some peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yeah so apparently they charge you a daily rate that is non-refundable if you don't have a CC in your own name. Absolute disgrace. <snip>.
    you mean they charge you for the super insurance, which of course is non refundable as its an insurance.
    With insurance, you dont get your money back if you dont have to claim. Thats normal.

As to it being a disgrace, em, no.
    Youre getting the use of a 20 grand car which normally is offered with insurance which covers all but the first €1500 to €2000 (depending on company and car)

With a credit card you block the excess. If you were to be allowed to make this deposit in cash, then it would be literally you paying them €2000 in cash on top of the rental cost.

Are you saying that you have €2000 in cash in your current account ready to hand over to the car hire company as a deposit on hiring the car, and you want to hand over this cash rather than wait for a credit card to come through ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement