Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Hey all,

have been reading this thread over the last few weeks.... was all going so nicely until last week!! I've just bought a 2-bed townhouse in Charlesland Park with the girlfriend (SJ I think you know her!!) - and think the place is great.

If Charlesland is a ghetto, its the nicest ghetto I've ever seen!!

So I'd take any negativity with a pinch of salt, some people just like to moan! I think its going to be a great place to live, seems like theres some nice people moving there, and I can't wait to move in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

We got our keys on Friday (Finally) Have to say I love the place. There's a pretty good vibe in the area, been mostly young couples. We should be moving in proper in a couple of weeks. cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

that's great! congratulations!! Hope you are settling in well!
    Do you mind me asking - did it take much longer than the original completion date for yours to be ready. We have Feb 06 as completion date for our house in c'land park but May would suit us better to be honest, just trying to get an idea from people as to how long over they are going - my sister is in court and hers went over by almost 6 months :eek: but aparently park and grove are going up a bit quicker?

Cheers SJ. Have to say they were pretty spot on with us. Saying that though, like yourself another couple of months would have extra would have suited us too, but sure, I'm not going to complain. The Park seems to be shooting up, so I cant see them been behind schedule. Snagging was done in a few days too, which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

I was thinking of starting a Book Club for Charlesland, as a way to meet people.
    Anyone Interested???? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 elephant

Hi all,

Wowzers came back from hols and have not posted a reply in a while, but I have heard that alot of people have come back saying they know people moving there and there now loads of people on the forum,
    We are suppose to be in my the end of next month, cant see that happening though as there is alot of building going on in Charlesland Court.

By any chance does anyone have a Type C house in Charlesland court, end of terrace and could I bother you for measurements - we took nearly everything except the area of the hall ( our stairs is at the side of the hall, back to kitchen) and we also need the lenght of the lounge, ie the measurement from the fireplace to the entrance / door. and then from the door when open to the far wall.... if we were to get 2 3 seater couches....

Looking forward to buying all the furniture etc and getting going on moving in.

I have to say it was a good thread until the vibe went a little sour but developments have to take place and it is good to see Greystones really booming, developments can only go so far as there has to be a certain amount of green space to accomodate the housing and well then there is the sea. Also one of the parents is a member in Charlesland and the developers has not bought the golf course, it is private land and owned by a family.

would love to meet other people when we get down there alright, anyone that I know of that is down there already really likes it. Hopefully it will be before christmas, I think the court is taking slightly longer than everywhere else
    Elephant

Reckon if you go down and ask for Ger, he's the foreman, he'll let you in to take the measurments. He's pretty cool about you going on site, so it shouldn't be a problem.

What part of the Court are you in Elephant?

Hey Johnc

We are moving into the last row , so I think it will be a while yet, we are right up at the top row, near the cresent.
    How long did it take you to close and snag and all that lark!! Did you have much to do ?
    Where are you, what type of house do you have

elephant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

SJ wrote:
    Hi folks- I think Charlesland is going to be the friendliest estate in Ireland! Everyone seems so nice! Myself and boyf have bought in Charlesland park - still in the early stages - completion date is Feb 06 - which (hopefully) means May - more time to save!! Does anyone know the cost of the park and ride facility in the Dart station (for those of us who miss the feeder bus) and is there lots of parking available too?

I'm sooooooooooo excited!!!!

Hi, we are buying in Charlesland Park, (my boyfriend and I) in November 05. Thats if everything goes to plan of course! You must be moving into one of the higher numbers? We are no 34 and have exchanged contracts. You're right it does seem to be a really friendly place and im so pleased to stumble across this forum!

We are renting in Lucan at the minute after moving over from England in June. We don't like it here at all and can't wait to move into more of a community! No one here talks to anyone and we have been the victim of crime. My boyfriend will be taking the dart to the IFSC to work and was very pleased to learn today that there is a bus from superquin to the dart station. Hope everything goes well with the close and the snagging!

Sorry to burst your bubble, Charlesland is the same as any other big development except further from town.
    People leave here early in the morning and get home late, and its not a particularly friendly place.
    We have been here since december 2004 and I cant honestly say I have made any friends here. The neighbours talk to you as in hello and goodbye but no one actaully wants to get to know you, and before you start thinking I am some kind of freak...I am not I have lived in lots of places in Ireland and abroad and never found such disinterest.
    Infact until I found this site a week ago, I wasn't sure if teh people I pass daily even had voices or minds, because they never really talk.
    We left a very friendly city neighborhood, and maybe expected to be as lucky again.
    Never mind, I just think its a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Hmm, haven't checked on this thread for a while, but it's interesting to hear some of the less favourable opinions. To be honest, none of them have made any impression on me at all. I personally thought the development was quite dense when I first saw it, and I did have second thoughts. I made a lot of enquiries, both with Charlesland locals and folk that live in the town. We were given advice from a property developer friend of my father's, and also a senior architect with whom the other half used to work. We spoke with people who have lived in Greystones all their lives regarding doctors, commutes (although that isn't really a problem for either of us as I work in Bray and herself works in Dundrum, which we've timed to be twenty minutes drive away at peak times), eating out, schools etc. and we have still heard nothing to deter us from signing on the dotted line. In fact quite the opposite. We have heard nothing but good things. Not many 20-somethings can afford their own place, and we are delighted to have found somewhere so nice, close to our folks, our friends, our workplaces, the beach, the mountains... I could go on...

We will be living in Charlesland Park (can't remember the number, must look that up before Friday). They say that location is the most important aspect to consider when buying a house. Well, I reckon those who share your neighbourhood are equally important, and if the attitudes of all the people who have contributed to this thread are anything to go by, I think we will both be very happy in Greystones, and I certainly look forward to meeting you all at some stage. Maybe we can invite you all around for a house-warming party, get to know a few of you!? Even Wicklah can come, if he brings a nice bottle of wine!!

See you soon..

I think the people or the forum-ites all sound very nice and interesting, to be honest if I passed someone in the morning or evening on the way to or from work, I would probably just grunt, but I think that will prob change when everyone gets used to the place and getting their timings right.. however I am a v bad morning person so excuse me now.
    I have to agree with Greystones, I love it , I think we are v lucky to have such a great town with loads in it and the beach and mountains nearby. i have been going down to the beach therre a bit and have not even moved in yet and when I show people photos they think I have been away for the weekend.
    I have friends who live in Lucan and its a metropolis in itself and constantly in the traffic news and well swords, is the second fastest growing town in Europe, and there is so much building going on.
    There is not going to be much more development work going on, just the gym and the second phase of Blacklion and finishing off of Eden Gate in Delgany.

We should definitely have a forum-ite get together somewhere, might be nice to meet a few faces so I know to go and get a cup of sugar off.... :D ,

elephant wrote:
    Hey Johnc

We are moving into the last row , so I think it will be a while yet, we are right up at the top row, near the cresent.
    How long did it take you to close and snag and all that lark!! Did you have much to do ?
    Where are you, what type of house do you have

elephant

We bought a 2 bedroom house. It's at the top of the court facing you as you come in by the green.
    Closing took us 2 days once all the papers had been signed. As for snagging, there wasnt a problem. We had about 5 pages, mainly cosmetic stuff. It was done in a couple of days. You really need to go through the place with a fine tooth comb. Anything you see no matter how small it seems. put it down.
    oh yeah and bring a light bulb with you, we discoverd that a few of the fittings upstairs didnt work. If you have any more ? dont hesitate to ask.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Charlesland is the same as any other development (except further from town)
    We moved here in December 2004 and I can't honestly say we have made any friends here yet, sure we talk to teh neighbours but just to say hello , I dont even know their sirnames!!
    OK, Before you start thinking I am OTT or a freak, I have lived in many places both in Ireland and abroad and never witnessed such disinterest, I put it down to the fact that we all leave here early and get home late, The joy of being a commuter, but what choice have FTB's.
    We moved from a friendly place in town, and I find Charlesland a stark contrast.
    I hope it changes, hey you never know!!

Woops, I seem to have gone in twice with my little rant!! about unfriendly neighbours
    Ur rite Elephant, maybe we all need to settle in, we were here
    for alot of the on-going building and that was kinda frustrating too.
    Please ignore second posting or the first, cause infact they are
    pretty much same :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

hi everyone, glad to see the board has taken another positive leap :) (and not a peep outta wicklah! :eek: ) I deffo think that there should be some kind of get to know your neighbours event - in the States they have 'block parties' which are great craic -BBQs, drinks etc on communal/green areas - that might be an idea for the summer time? Never mind neighbourhood watch - it's a neighbourhood social commitee we need! I can totally understand tota's point re :( neighbours - but who is at their best early in the morning or after a hard days work? The weekend is prob the only time you get an opportunity to chat to your neighbours.

:rolleyes: Maybe i'll call up mr superquinn and ask him can we have a wine and cheese get to know your neighbours evening in the supermarket!! :p

Heard of a couple of bloc parties during the summer, I'd be well into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

I reckon we could buck the all too familiar trend of not getting to know your neighbours, you never know, it might catch on with those who haven't seen the forum! We would certainly be willing to host/or come along to a garden party/ housewarming when the weather heats up a bit!

Well, there you go there's life in Charlesland yet.
    Really glad to see all the positive replies, love the
    Superquinn wine & cheese idea, SJ. Will you call Fergal and set that up?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Sounds good folks!! :D:D

we don't move in till next April/May time, which is the perfect time for parties/barbeques. Might have to invite you all to the Housewarming!! :eek:
    In the meantime, I dare everyone already living there to talk to their neighbours! Except before 8.30 in the morning cos thats just rude!! :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

wicklah wrote:
    Just so you don't think I am picking on Charlesland, I also think that Eden Gate project a) has a silly name :) and b) is also a bit big (although apparently better quality houses but you are paying through the nose for it). And interestingly, the address of them is Delgany HAHAHAHAHA, it is yeah!!

Wicklah
    It may be a bit of a stupid name, but not as stupid as Charlsland! And whats your problem with the address being Delgany? It's only about half a mile outside the village FFS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It may be a bit of a stupid name, but not as stupid as Charlsland! And whats your problem with the address being Delgany? It's only about half a mile outside the village FFS!

Wicklah wasn't (by any stretch of the imagination) being positive about Charlesland, so don't think that by slagging Charlesland you are getting back at him/her. You are probably just pìssing off the people who have moved or are moving to Charlesland and looking to have a constructive conversation about the place.

oh der a new low. My estate's better than your estate, and yours has a stupid name nyah nyah.

KIDS

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zub

Hi all,
    I hopefully moving to Charlesland Court in a month and will be a happy owner of duplex home. What do you people think of yellow bricks? Anybody knows why only these blocks are different?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Johnc72 wrote:
    oh der a new low. My estate's better than your estate, and yours has a stupid name nyah nyah.

KIDS
    I actually don't live anywhere near the area. I just happen to know it fairly well and know that Eden Gate is very close to delgany. And charlsland genuinely struck me as a stupid name when I heard it first. I'm not trying to slag off either site, i'm sure they'll have a positive influence on the surrounding area (even if the locals don't think so).

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Never mind neighbourhood watch - it's a neighbourhood social commitee we need!

Too true. Hows about the people that are already moved in sort something for a sat / sun in the next 2 months? In process of moving in at the moment and will hopefully be there monday or tuesday (As soon as I convince the tiler that a tea break is for 15 minutes - not 3 hours :mad: ) Maybe a night in the wiclkow Arms?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

daveco23 wrote:
    Never mind neighbourhood watch - it's a neighbourhood social commitee we need!

Too true. Hows about the people that are already moved in sort something for a sat / sun in the next 2 months? In process of moving in at the moment and will hopefully be there monday or tuesday (As soon as I convince the tiler that a tea break is for 15 minutes - not 3 hours :mad: ) Maybe a night in the wiclkow Arms?

could be a winner, but my g/f thinks I'm a big enough nerd as it is, so I won't be telling her this has all been arranged online.

would we well on for a meet up maybe nearer christmas or new year....
    should be in by late Nov
    off to buy some furniture over the weekend

Charlesland is called charlesland, cause of wher it is, Eden gate is a silly name but hey could be worse, and it is in Delgany, surley.
    Delgany where up to recently the pints were 3 quid, omg!! now gone up to 3.20 still bloody amazing. Horse & Hound, nice spot.
    We are arranging a social comitee on line, cause, remember we don't talk to each other!! its a rule in new developments..ha ha ha.
    We happy to get involved, whats teh plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MonneyPenny

Hi all

Really good reading all your posts. I'm about to move down soon - hoping to snag week after next and suppose depending how long all that takes will get the keys! All very exciting but a little nervous although it helps that everyone moving in will be new in the block. Fingers crossed I have friendly neighbours!

A question though - does anyone know when the link road onto the N11 is due for completion? I go to Arklow every day and am hoping that road will be ready ASAP. Not a great road when you're going Northbound on the N11 to swing off and go to Greystones - maybe there's a quicker easier route - haven't sussed it all yet. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement