Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My boiler won't start

Options
  • 25-03-2020 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a Firebird boiler that had gone into lockout.

I press the red button at the bottom 3 or 4 times but it will not fire.

I have checked the oil level and it is fine (about 10 inches in the tank...there is just a gravity feed)

I took a look at the burner and have opened the nut with the Allen key fitting but this has not helped(I didn't here any hissing and there was a little oil that came out)

There is also a larger nut at the bottom that I also loosened which caused some oil to come out..again without any improvement.

I have taken some photos ....

Has anyone got any advice?

Btw will I have any problem getting a plumber on account of the on going medical emergency?

I don't want to spread any contamination if I have been working in the area and,as they say we all have to assume that we have the virus even if we have no symptoms....

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is it making any sound when you push the red button?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes,a kind of a single noted sound for about 10 to 15 seconds.

Then that note changes pitch for about 5 seconds (think there may be a muted "click" at the changeover )

Then the red light comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I believe the silver bolt is your bleed nut on that boiler. Youd have to open that slightly and turn the boiler on, make sure fuel comes out so it clears any air. It sounds like its not firing from fuel feed.

If fuel comes through ok, it could be Solenoid.

Is that the same "bolt" as shown in the picture at the top of the page on this link?

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2012/04/bleeding-a-firebird-popular-90-oil-boiler/

The one where it says you need to use an Allen key?

It is on the left as you face towards the boiler and not directly facing you?

If that is the one ,do I need to open it slightly and leave it open whilst I try starting it ?

In the first pic you posted of the control box. it has a tiny retaining screw on the left side. Loosen that a few turns and slide the control box back to remove it (make sure pow off to boiler). Yo will see a photo cell (about 6mm diameter). Check that its clean and give it a wipe of a clean dry cloth. Put all back together and try it.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    In the first pic you posted of the control box. it has a tiny retaining screw on the left side. Loosen that a few turns and slide the control box back to remove it (make sure pow off to boiler). Yo will see a photo cell (about 6mm diameter). Check that its clean and give it a wipe of a clean dry cloth. Put all back together and try it.

Thanks. Have done that. It didn't look dirty but I gave it a wipe with a bit of fresh tissue. (there were a few specks of soot in the control box but nothing alarming)

Anyway ,that didn't change anything. Still doesn't start .

Possibly a fuel supply problem then. Follow the advice above about bleeding and if that doesn't work, get a tech to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

amandstu wrote: »
    Is that the same "bolt" as shown in the picture at the top of the page on this link?

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2012/04/bleeding-a-firebird-popular-90-oil-boiler/

If that is the one ,do I need to open it slightly and leave it open whilst I try starting it ?

its the silver one below the black screw noted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

No harm checking what temperature the thermostats in your house are set to; happened to me once where my friend's kid turned the dial all the way down which was stopping the burner from firing up!

If there is enough oil coming from the allen screw, then there isnt a need to go further re bleeding. If not, you could try closing the allen and loosen the bottom one of the other 2 highlighted in the image. then press the red button a couple of times. Oil should really squirt from this point. If that doesn't work, then you will need a tech.

For now, I am still doing breakdowns if I can't sort it over the phone. I prefer not to do inside boilers, but if I have to, I insist on strict conditions. I don't see how we can leave vulnerable people in the cold.

I have emailed a few government departments for clarity, but nothing back only copies of what has already been announced. none of that clarified it for me.

• Advertisement

No harm checking what temperature the thermostats in your house are set to; happened to me once where my friend's kid turned the dial all the way down which was stopping the burner from firing up!

Good idea, but in this case the boiler is making noise, so getting power from thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

it may be something as simple as a blocked nozzle if not serviced regularly

it should not airlock unless you ran out of oil

most likely no more you can do without test equipment etc pump would be a strong possibility that's fuel pump now not circulating pump

If there is enough oil coming from the allen screw, then there isnt a need to go further re bleeding. If not, you could try closing the allen and loosen the bottom one of the other 2 highlighted in the image. then press the red button a couple of times. Oil should really squirt from this point. If that doesn't work, then you will need a tech.

I t doesn't squirt ,but this is just gravity feed so perhaps that is normal (it does come out regularly)

I have just had a look at the thermostat on the boiler and it doesn't click when I adjust the temperature . Does that sound like it?

A bust thermostat...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Sorry, I meant the thermostat inside your house!

But as WearB pointed out - power is going to it!

This is a pic of the thermostat I am wondering about now .It doesn't click when I turn it ...

Would that be easy for me to replace and fit or is it a technicians job?

This is a pic of the thermostat I am wondering about now .It doesn't click when I turn it ...

Would that be easy for me to replace and fit or is it a technicians job?

From what you've told us already, it not a thermostat fault.

At this stage you need professional help.

OK Thanks to everyone for your help.

Is there a decent chance that a new control box will fix the problem ? (I am ringing one the plumbers but there is no reply yet).

I could easily do that myself if that was the most likely cause.

Edit: found a plumber now; coming in a hour or so:)

Plumber called.Knew immediately that it was the bearings.

Has a spare one at home that he will let me use and will try to repair the other if he can get the parts in the present climate.

Plumber called.Knew immediately that it was the bearings.

Has a spare one at home that he will let me use and will try to repair the other if he can get the parts in the present climate.

Thanks for letting us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement