Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Goonerdee wrote: »
    FinalTry32 wrote: »
    Id encourage anyone to go for the police staff options , It wont make a difference to your actual police application or even applying for all 3 wont make a difference to the process , pay is pretty decent, some great benefits and I know people who work in all 3 jobs and even at the lowest paid its still a good whack every month with the weekend rates and O/T rates , shift patterns do vary tho across the board.

I would love to apply for all three roles but I dont have A-levels, but I think I’ll stick my name in the hat for call handler and cdo. I know I’d said I’d never leave my job for anything but the police, but as someone else said, keep as many doors open as you can. Life can change in an instant.

Do you need a levels for the cdo role? I thought it was just 5 gcse at grade c or above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Id encourage anyone to go for the police staff options , It wont make a difference to your actual police application or even applying for all 3 wont make a difference to the process , pay is pretty decent, some great benefits and I know people who work in all 3 jobs and even at the lowest paid its still a good whack every month with the weekend rates and O/T rates , shift patterns do vary tho across the board.

I would love to apply for all three roles but I dont have A-levels, but I think I’ll stick my name in the hat for call handler and cdo. I know I’d said I’d never leave my job for anything but the police, but as someone else said, keep as many doors open as you can. Life can change in an instant.

Do you need a levels for the cdo role? I thought it was just 5 gcse at grade c or above?

You are correct Sparky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Only need A-levels for Dispatcher, GCSEs ok for the other two roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Anyone know the timescales for recruitment? I don’t want to apply and possibly be offered a role as police staff before I know the outcome of my PSNI application

It's public sector recruitment... How long is a piece of string. 9 months from application to interview for my current job. Then 3 months to starting.

• Advertisement

And all my security checks came back rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FinalTry32

Banterbus28 is right, Theres never a set time, my current job was 4 months from applying to hearing i was successful then 6 weeks to starting.

But then PSNI may be faster than the HR firm used to recruit us FinalTry32;105227466....

Valid point!! Didnt think of that.

Going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens, actually wouldn’t mind the call handler or dispatcher role! Not as much as being boots on the ground but still sounds good

• Advertisement

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens, actually wouldn’t mind the call handler or dispatcher role! Not as much as being boots on the ground but still sounds good

I think them roles would be extremely stressful with people shouting and screaming down the phone and not being physically there to help them, just one after the other! Just my 2 pence on the subject, im going to try the cdo one

I think them roles would be extremely stressful with people shouting and screaming down the phone and not being physically there to help them, just one after the other! Just my 2 pence on the subject, im going to try the cdo one

As stressfull as wrestling someone to the ground who has a knife and is trying to bite you? Oh and they also have Hep B...

As a CDO you are going to see people smear in their cell lol

As a CDO you are going to see people smear in their cell lol

Any role will be stressful .. And i guess everyone is different, even though you arent physically there to help people some people just want someone to talk to so the call handling role can be very rewarding too, Dispatch would be slightly more stressful as the lives of the crews on the ground are in your hands.

As stressfull as wrestling someone to the ground who has a knife and is trying to bite you? Oh and they also have Hep B...

Awk I know what you mean no doubt there is stress in all roles but at least you would be physically able to do something, I personally would find it more stressful hearing people in need of help but not being there with them, but like its been said everyone handles it differently

Awk I know what you mean no doubt there is stress in all roles but at least you would be physically able to do something, I personally would find it more stressful hearing people in need of help but not being there with them, but like its been said everyone handles it differently

But you would be helping them...

What way does the application process work, I imagined you download the application and type in your details then send an email to that email adress and attatch the application to the email?

Indeed.

Include you national insurance number, full name and date of birth in the email.

Indeed.

Include you national insurance number, full name and date of birth in the email.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

The CDO role was formerly administered by the private sector security firm, Noonan (formerly Federal) (who I also think provide security on police station doors). The PSNI has since absorbed them, Anyway, there are a few reviews on indeed.co.uk for CDO's from ex Noonan colleagues who didn't recommend it as a great place to work, citing security risks and culture. 

I think dispatching vis a vis call handling would be far more stressful and I think the pay scales reflect that. Call handlers deal with non emergency inquiries, dispatchers allocate resources on potentially life and death matters.

Out of them all, if you value your sanity, I think call handling is the most preferential. P.S Would anyone else feel like a bit of a dick if they accepted a dispatcher job and then resigned a few weeks later when they get into Garnerville?

Yeah CDO’s and Call Handling were orginally recruited by Noonan.

Call Handlers are the 1st point of contact when the 999 calls come in so potentially you would be dealing with life and death situations. Id say its a tough enough job, you dont know what the call is gonna be when you pick up that phone.

I wouldnt be too worried about accepting a job and leaving though .. Im sure it happens pretty often.

Does anybody know if psni send an acknowledgement email after you send your application in?

Does anybody know if psni send an acknowledgement email after you send your application in?

I did not receive on either. If nothing comes in in a few days I'd ring 101 and confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Anotherhopeful

Maxi515 wrote: »
    The CDO role was formerly administered by the private sector security firm, Noonan (formerly Federal) (who I also think provide security on police station doors). The PSNI has since absorbed them, Anyway, there are a few reviews on indeed.co.uk for CDO's from ex Noonan colleagues who didn't recommend it as a great place to work, citing security risks and culture. 

I think dispatching vis a vis call handling would be far more stressful and I think the pay scales reflect that. Call handlers deal with non emergency inquiries, dispatchers allocate resources on potentially life and death matters.

Out of them all, if you value your sanity, I think call handling is the most preferential. P.S Would anyone else feel like a bit of a dick if they accepted a dispatcher job and then resigned a few weeks later when they get into Garnerville?

Call handlers take 999 and 101 calls and being a call handler is more stressful than you can imagine. One minute you've someone suicidal on the phone the next it's someone's lost their dog or wants to speak to an officer.

It's a varied job and dispatch is also great both jobs come with different stresses and each I'd unique to the roll they perform.

Do not apply for call handling or dispatch if you think you are in for an easy non stressful job it's long hours and constant and you are not always staffed the greatest especially weekends. Just something to bear in mind

Just double checking again before I ring 101 did anybody get a acknowledgement email regarding successful application received?

No i haven’t got one either, they may be waiting until applications close on the 15th before sending them out

No i haven’t got one either, they may be waiting until applications close on the 15th before sending them out

True but I want to know if mine was successful in getting to them incase they dint get and the deadline is passed lol

• Advertisement

That’s true, give them a call and see what they say, please follow up here so the rest of us know if we need to call them as well or not

Advertisement