Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greystones - Who do you want and why? [ELECTION 2011] All posts here.

Options
  • 29-01-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

See mod warning. Post 25 before posting on this thread

So election time is upon us again and we have so many things to cordially discuss with our Greystones Candidates -

So as impossible as this is without the thread being locked in one day, let's discuss the candidates in view of why or why not..

So far I have had flyers from Simon Harris and Tom Fortune through the door..

Tom mentioned needing a fresh start in politics... but no specifics.. he is hardly a fresh face.. I agree a fresh start with 1/3 of the TDs coming expected to be new thats a good start, but Tom isn't contributing to that.

Simon cunningly provides a sheet showing what benefits you can claim while not providing any documented thoughts on what he would do in office... From day 1 I felt the Dail was where he wanted to be..but has he done anything to deserve that dubious honour?

... next

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This could be a good thread.... Blandpebbles will you tell us who you want seeing as you started the thread?
    I am really not sure who to vote for at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

The new guy who was on Vincent brown seems to know his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Ive even got my ''I'm voting for Simon''badge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKNL4ozIWs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I actually have no idea really.. I am hugely impressed with Pierse Doherty from Sinn Fein and if we had a straight talking candidate like that from any party I would tempted.

OMG! Awesome video, I think more people have viewed it than actually voted for him.

Great to see Greystones has such talent... the film makers, not Harris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I actually have no idea really.. I am hugely impressed with Pierse Doherty from Sinn Fein and if we had a straight talking candidate like that from any other party I would tempted.
    There, fixed your post. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Brilliant video. Who's that bearded guy trying to wrestle Simon out of the bushes? Isn't he The Last Eco Warrior, the one who lived for years in a tent in the Glen O the Downs, after all the others left? He used to sit on the bench at the bad bend in Delgany village until some upstanding concerned residents had it removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Ive even got my ''I'm voting for Simon''badge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKNL4ozIWs

Forget about this very silly video. This is the REAL SIMON as told by an old flame?

Am I voting for SIMON? Indeed Yes I most certainly am!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

recedite wrote: »
    Brilliant video. Who's that bearded guy trying to wrestle Simon out of the bushes? Isn't he The Last Eco Warrior, the one who lived for years in a tent in the Glen O the Downs, after all the others left? He used to sit on the bench at the bad bend in Delgany village until some upstanding concerned residents had it removed.

Yep, he still lives up there. Still walks into Greystones most days and has coffee.Totally friendly. Mad but friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

The new guy who was on Vincent brown seems to know his stuff

Stephen Donnelly is the guy you are talking about. He's running as an Independant in Wicklow and is based in Greystones. I saw on his FB page that he's hosting an Open Community Meeting in the Greystones Theatre on Monday night (20:30) to give people an opportunity to voice their concerns and questions to him so am definately going to head along to hear more. Theres more info here:
    http://www.facebook.com/DonnellyforWicklow

As someone who's been hit hard by the recession I am just so sick and tired of the same old faces with the same old promises - seeing them walk away with their 6 figure pensions last week was the final straw and I for one am willing to give someone new a go. It certainly cant be any worse than what we have at the moment...... :(

• Advertisement

So he works as a consultant, speaking as a fellow consultancy employee his rhetoric is verbatim replay of most consultancy sales patter. My experience of consultants are they can be effective looking in and affecting change but once they have joined the client company they quickly go native.

Does a degree make anyone qualified to sort out the problems? After all wasn't it our highly educated bankers who caused some of the mess.. Without pratical experience there is a high risk of going native.

Good that these candidates are coming to light though so we can see what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He's also good at getting his friends and family that don't necessarily live here to talk him up on the internet - it's quite a good campaign technique

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    He's also good at getting his friends and family that don't necessarily live here to talk him up on the internet - it's quite a good campaign technique

I live in Charlesland. I think that counts as living here (in Wicklow) :mad:

I don't think johnny was aiming that comment at you.. Let's keep it civil so this thread keeps going.

eleMental wrote: »
    I live in Charlesland. I think that counts as living here (in Wicklow) :mad:
    my comment was not necessarily aimed at 1 poster in particular but I do find an influx of about 5 or 6 of his supporters on the Wicklow forum a bit suspect

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't think johnny was aiming that comment at you.. Let's keep it civil so this thread keeps going.

Fair point - apologies johnny! *steps down off soapbox of indignation* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

at the moment I'm not sure who im going to vote for, tho I have kinda been put off voting for any of the younger memebers of the town council who were invovled in the whole 84 saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Can you enlighten me on the 84 saga please.
    If your not sure ask questions of the candidates these people are going to
    be in government for the next five years heaven forbid

the 84 was orginally going to be more freqeunt and only go to bray, Some members of the town council complained(as well as others im sure) and as a result its now every hour and goes as far as ucd, not into the city centre anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

the 84 was orginally going to be more freqeunt and only go to bray, Some members of the town council complained(as well as others im sure) and as a result its now every hour and goes as far as ucd, not into the city centre anymore

Was frequently to Cherrywood not the original plan?

• Advertisement

hmm maybe your right maybe it was to cherrywood, have bray in my head for some reason

in their restructuring of Dublin Bus services Dublin Bus proposed that the 84 would be increased to half hour frequency and would terminate at Cherrywood Luas - I understand that Cllrs Stephen Stokes, James O Sullivan and Simon Harris objected to it terminating at Cherrywood because of all the students in UCD who would be inconvenienced - My understanding is that they lobbied for the route to extend to UCD and were not aware then that Dublin Bus agreed to this but left the service at the frequency of an hour

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    in their restructuring of Dublin Bus services Dublin Bus proposed that the 84 would be increased to half hour frequency and would terminate at Cherrywood Luas - I understand that Cllrs Stephen Stokes, James O Sullivan and Simon Harris objected to it terminating at Cherrywood because of all the students in UCD who would be inconvenienced - My understanding is that they lobbied for the route to extend to UCD and were not aware then that Dublin Bus agreed to this but left the service at the frequency of an hour
    thanks for that Johnny, had a look on the DB website but couldnt find the orginal plans

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread is for a serious discussion on Election 2011 for the Greystones area.

Keep the silly stuff for After Hours.

If this warning is ignored the thread will be closed and the discussion can continue on the political forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

I am neither a friend, family or campaigning for Stephen Donnelly but after looking into all candidates over the last week I will be giving him my 1st preference probably followed by Labour but Joan Burton does make it so very hard to tick that box!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭mtucker

Well, whoever you vote for Mr. Posh, just make sure you don't tick any boxes and rank the candidates 1,2,3 etc. :D Wouldn't want you to spoil your vote. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

fair point!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I've never missed a vote since I turned 18, but I think this is the first general election where I will go to the ballot box not knowing who to vote for or whether even to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I agree with you on that MATT i did consider not voting
    But it is to important not too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Steve Earle used to have this slogan on the sleeves of all his albums.

"If you don't vote, don't bitch"

Advertisement