Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tryagain wrote: »
    A lot of players were good at world cup but we need more how can our 4 sides in Europe show so much fight pull on green at WC and do nothing cycle after cycle. Is it to much pressure for our players because we now expect to win we are not underdogs anymore is it a mental thing .

They won a Grand Slam in 2018.....

In the last 6 years they have won the 6 nations 3 times, won a tour of Australia, beat NZ twice.....etc etc

Does that count as nothing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

The answer to that is Scotland Italy are 2nd tier now France have been poor for a longtime now that leaves Wales and England for six nations .Do SH teams care about anything but WC not totally true but the main aim is WC .For us not winning a knockout game in the history of WC is simply not good enough and I loved beating NZ twice but since the Argies in 2015 its been 2019 the goal the holygrail. I went to Japan and seen them beat a few nobodys and a rugby nation in freefall and lose to Japan was home for the QTR thank God .NZ come home and the players are still in pain and will be for next 4 years until they get a shot at it again but only a few weeks gone and our players are world beaters again this time next year we will be odds on to at least reach the final of next one. We need a dose of reality and quickly rugby is on the up in this country but if we dont start performing when it matters and to the average Joe that is WC, rugby will go backwards we are a small island and many sports looking in a small pool the next 4 years are critical .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The answer is simple

European cup<six Nations<world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The answer is simple

European cup<six Nations<world cup

Some might feel: 6N Win < Heineken Cup < 6N Grand Slam < World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    Will Connors needs to be looked at by Andy Farrel. The guy is starting to match VdF for work rate around the pitch. He tackles everything that moves and carries a lot of slow ball whilst still making metres. He's also dominant in the tackle which is something we've missed since Leavy got injured. On the subject of openside flankers, VDF is in brilliant form as well. He was good at the World Cup and has moved up a level again since returning.

Might need to reintegrate Toner into the side too. He was imperious in the lineout.

Not sure if you're referring to Leinster or Ireland in the bold, but I always feel this is on area that CJ excels in that sometimes gets overlooked. He's so strong in the tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The answer to that is Scotland Italy are 2nd tier now France have been poor for a longtime now that leaves Wales and England for six nations .Do SH teams care about anything but WC not totally true but the main aim is WC .For us not winning a knockout game in the history of WC is simply not good enough and I loved beating NZ twice but since the Argies in 2015 its been 2019 the goal the holygrail. I went to Japan and seen them beat a few nobodys and a rugby nation in freefall and lose to Japan was home for the QTR thank God .NZ come home and the players are still in pain and will be for next 4 years until they get a shot at it again but only a few weeks gone and our players are world beaters again this time next year we will be odds on to at least reach the final of next one. We need a dose of reality and quickly rugby is on the up in this country but if we dont start performing when it matters and to the average Joe that is WC, rugby will go backwards we are a small island and many sports looking in a small pool the next 4 years are critical .

Aside from anything else, absolutely nobody is saying we are world beaters again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

aloooof wrote: »
    Aside from anything else, absolutely nobody is saying we are world beaters again.

give it a couple of more months.

the redemption articles continue thick and fast. Henshaw today

The SH teams would love to have a competition like the 6 nations. The Rugby Championship is poor, brings in very little money and has no history. Hence why they wanted to start that World Rugby League, an attempt at putting the 6 nations and the World Cup itself as a second tier competition.

So yes NZ, Aus and SA only concentrate on the WC because they have nothing else to play for.

The WC is a competition that comes around every 4 years....winning HC, Pro14 and 6 nations is the aim for the next few years. The WC will look after itself when it comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They won a Grand Slam in 2018.....

In the last 6 years they have won the 6 nations 3 times, won a tour of Australia, beat NZ twice.....etc etc

Does that count as nothing now?

course it counts for something , but the big one is the World cup, which Ireland continue to falter at, absolutly a valid question to ask why we continue to fail, I think it is a mental/pressure thing , of not being able to get over Quaters. The players and most people involved in rugby know that the World cup is the Everest in rugby, and the Irish record continues to be poor , some people may be happy to win triple crowns and the like but I think most realise expectations have thankfully moved on.

thebaz wrote: »
    course it counts for something , but the big one is the World cup, which Ireland continue to falter at, absolutly a valid question to ask why we continue to fail, I think it is a mental/pressure thing , of not being able to get over Quaters. The players and most people involved in rugby know that the World cup is the Everest in rugby, and the Irish record continues to be poor , some people may be happy to win triple crowns and the like but I think most realise expectations have thankfully moved on.

This is the post I replied to....highlighting the specific section

A lot of players were good at world cup but we need more how can our 4 sides in Europe show so much fight pull on green at WC and do nothing cycle after cycle. Is it to much pressure for our players because we now expect to win we are not underdogs anymore is it a mental thing .

Ireland has won how many Grand Slam's and 6 nations in our history? We are bottom of the list in the 6 nations apart from Italy. Bit strange for an Irish fan to call a grand slam nothing

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table. We are the country who has the glory of winning the wooden spoon most often.....

As I have posted many times, the WC will look after itself. If the SH have it ways the next one will be a second rate competition.

Let's concentrate on winning trophies. If anything SA have shown that spending 4 years pi**ing around concentrating on a competition can mean feck all at the end of the day.....

Look at England in 2007 or France in 2011? both got to final and they only decided team/formation/tactics in the tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ireland has won how many Grand Slam's and 6 nations in our history? We are bottom of the list in the 6 nations apart from Italy. Bit strange for an Irish fan to call a grand slam nothing

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table.

fair eneogh - but I would judge rugby over past 20 years , since its gone Pro and the WC has emerged as the premier trophy. Ireland have made substantial improvements since last Century, and to move on again we need to perform at a WC , we have done most other things, but its like every 4 years the pressure builds , and we non perform , not sure how it is overcome , other teams have hit this pressure wall, Mayo , Spurs ,even Liverpools recently and the league, Leinster before Cheika

thebaz wrote: »
    fair eneogh - but I would judge rugby over past 20 years , since its gone Pro and the WC has emerged as the premier trophy. Ireland have made substantial improvements since last Century, and to move on again we need to perform at a WC , we have done most other things, but its like every 4 years the pressure builds , and we non perform , not sure how it is overcome , other teams have hit this pressure wall, Mayo , Spurs ,even Liverpools recently and the league, Leinster before Cheika

Talking about the WC for 4 years doesn't seem to help does it?

After 2011, all we done was talk about the WC for 4 years, after 2015, all we done was talk about the WC for 4 years....did it work? no.....are we doing the exact same thing again? yes so far

Maybe, just maybe we should just forget all about the WC till 2023 warm up games. Then just pick the players that are in form. The squad will naturally refresh itself so for the next 4 years anyway

At the moment if you look at the WC squad the likes of Murray, Henshaw, R Kearney, Carty, etc don't deserve to be in a 6 nations squad because of drop in form. Shock horror but Furlong as well should not be starting.....Healy was under huge pressure from Kilcoyne but his injury has stopped that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do you know what table we top for the 6 nations? we top the wooden spoon table.
    We are the country who has the glory of winning the wooden spoon most often.....

As I have posted many times, the WC will look after itself. If the SH have it ways the next one will be a second rate competition.

Let's concentrate on winning trophies. If anything SA have shown that spending 4 years pi**ing around concentrating on a competition can mean feck all at the end of the day.....

Look at England in 2007 or France in 2011? both got to final and they only decided team/formation/tactics in the tournament

Ireland have never had a 6 Nations wooden spoon.....Just saying.:D Almost did in 2013...but France were even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

UEFA are urging the FAI to sell their stake in the Aviva to the IRFU. Interesting solution

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    UEFA are urging the FAI to sell their stake in the Aviva to the IRFU. Interesting solution

Have the irfu ever expressed any interest in that?

• John Delaney should be fired out of a cannon into the sun.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Solution to what problem?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Solution to what problem?

Cash flow I’d presume, not that it’ll happen or anything but I’m not sure there’d be much in it for the irfu. Big up front payment to rent the stadium back occasionally to a crowd that are unlikely to afford much as the gates won’t be huge on a stadium that will already revert to irfu ownership in the future.

Selling a major capital asset to solve a short term cash flow problem.??

Could UEFA have actually given them worse advice?

The FAI need a complete dismantling, restructuring and rebranding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Selling a major capital asset to solve a short term cash flow problem.??

Could UEFA have actually given them worse advice?

The FAI need a complete dismantling, restructuring and rebranding.

They don't have a short term cash flow issue, they have a massive financial black hole that has been building for years. They have a huge outstanding debt on the stadium and are borrowing from UEFA against future tournament income. They are completely and utterly f*cked.

In such a case, all options have to be on the table.

• Advertisement

They don't have a short term cash flow issue, they have a massive financial black hole that has been building for years. They have a huge outstanding debt on the stadium and are borrowing from UEFA against future tournament income. They are completely and utterly f*cked.

In such a case, all options have to be on the table.

That makes a whole load more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The review of their accounts has also been referred to the gards so they need all the money they ca get because I’m sure any private debt could well be hard to come by at any reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It all went to pieces when they let John Delaney go. They should have done all they could to keep him.

It all went to pieces when they let John Delaney go. They should have done all they could to keep him.

It went to pieces because they suddenly lifted the lid on all the corruption.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It’s not really a stake is it? More a long term lease, after 60 years the ground returns to complete IRFU ownership.

The only way this would make sense for the IRFU is if you were fully confident FAI would be able to pay to lease the ground in future. Would find it difficult to have any financial confidence in the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I presume there is a clause in the agreement saying that the other party has first refusal on a sale of a stake. If not, that could force the IRFU's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What's the story with buying their share? Does that mean they have to pay a fee to the IRFU every time they have to play a game there?

mfceiling wrote: »
    What's the story with buying their share? Does that mean they have to pay a fee to the IRFU every time they have to play a game there?

Presumably so, it would also mean all takings from all other events are solely the IRFU’s. I wonder how much is being talked about here.

mfceiling wrote: »

Yes, plus I would guess any concert is spilt 50/50 and all of that would go into IRFU

Question is, the cost of running the Aviva been covered at the moment or would it be better for FAI just to pay a fee.

Would it also mean for some games with low crowds that FAI use another stadium?

I know I talked to an electrician, they had done a job in stadium and replaced bulbs, reduced the cost by 1 million per year so it is not cheap to keep the stadium going.....if reducing by 1 mill how much does it cost per year to keep the lights on :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-ireland-captain-ryan-4917432-Dec2019/

Thoughts on this? I know he's asked a question and has answered it but I'd be of the opinion he should keep schtum now, he's not the coach anymore.

And touting POM after his performances over the last 12 months? How about he focuses on being worth a spot in the team before making him captain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement