Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Greystones

1181920212224»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Burnaby on a Sunday afternoon listening to the two guitar players (Woods was one if not both their names) doing covers of Pink Floyd.

That was the infamous "Brian and Woodsie".
    Thanks to thier sessions I have listened to Pink Floyd ever since.
    They were well known for thier rendition of "Physo Killer".
    Brian had a Z1300 Kawasaki motorbike that I was particularly envious of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

2011 wrote: »
    That was the infamous "Brian and Woodsie".
    Thanks to thier sessions I have listened to Pink Floyd ever since.
    They were well known for thier rendition of "Physo Killer".
    Brian had a Z1300 Kawasaki motorbike that I was particularly envious of :)
    Brian and Woodsie, good guys. Anyone else refer to Brian as "Fryin Barrel". Childish I know. Sorry Brian !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

The tennis club opposite the La Touche Hotel had a sign that said "Whites Only"

The what?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The what?? :eek:

Possibly "Tennis Whites"?

I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

iirc the sign read "Whites only on the courts" which is self explanatory but somebody took offence to it and it was removed
    Somebody mentioned the IRA judge, I think his surname was McGee and live around the corner from the AG John Murray in the Burnaby.
    The house that John lived in was previously owned by the author of Dynasty (the book not the TV series).
    Joseph Locke the Irish tenor also lived in the Burnaby at the top of Whitshed Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ourheritage

Hi. My great grandfather James Bardon built Craglands in The Burnaby. I recently found out that he built others. I did find a passport sized old photograph of a detached Edwardian house in The Burnaby, but have not been able to identify it. If anyone has any information about houses that he built I would greatly appreciate some information.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi. My great grandfather James Bardon built Craglands in The Burnaby. I recently found out that he built others. I did find a passport sized old photograph of a detached Edwardian house in The Burnaby, but have not been able to identify it. If anyone has any information about houses that he built I would greatly appreciate some information.
    Many thanks.
    You may find some information here>>>
    http://www.greystonesahs.org/gahs1/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Here are my memories of Greystones and surrounds. Some of these might have already been mentioned but they are close to my heart.

- Going to Heroes disco bar at the age of 15 and Ken the bouncer letting you in.
    - After a few in Heroes, trying to pluck up the courage to approach the bouncers in Lautrex (Remember they used to wear Tuxedo's?) - I had a 50/50 chance of getting in till I was 18.
    - Lautrex used to serve curries at midnight from the hatch beside the bar. Yummy!
    - Plucking up the courage to ask a girl to dance at the "Slow Set"
    - Ringing Noel Lang cabs only for him to be about 2 hours late every time. I still remember the number. 2871188 :)
    - Going to Frank Duff for a haircut and it didnt matter what you asked for, everyone got the same buzz cut.
    - Heading to Declans for a haircut when you had a bit more money
    - Heading out to Jocks in Kilpedder on the 184 for pool, darts and video games (and never asked for ID)
    - When the Delgany Inn was the place to be (When it was owned by the O'Dwyers) - Bottles of orange woodies were the order of the day
    - When you could rent video games from Video World. That was a game changer
    - Playing Basketball in St. David's on Sunday afternoons
    - When the sun always used to shine, it was safe, everyone knew each other and safe in the knowledge that if you grew up in Greystones was the best childhood one could ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Here are my memories of Greystones and surrounds. Some of these might have already been mentioned but they are close to my heart.

- Going to Frank Duff for a haircut and it didn't matter what you asked for, everyone got the same buzz cut.

/QUOTE]

Do you mean Frank Clarke

Advertisement