Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Discovery Season 3 episode 2- That Hope is You, Part 2

Options
1235»

Comments

Yeah once you know they went to the future then it’s a blank slate, could easily skip 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah once you know they went to the future then it’s a blank slate, could easily skip 2.

I'd say watching the last two or three episodes of season two would be a help. Will save a lot of "but wait, what the f is happening now" once they start explaining to future people what went on. I'd say the mother will probably pop up later in the season, so that explainer would be a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Rawr wrote: »
    You might actually get away with not watching Season 2.
    Stuff happens that mean they have to go into the future....that's about it...

....also Micheal....it's important that you remember Micheal....

Michael.

Every time it's spelled Micheal, I think of an Irish farmer.

Micheàl Burnham :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen online that Airium might be in season 3 some how. Some here saying that season 3 is a clean slate and all you need to know is they went to the future but maybe you might want to know about her too. I will not spoil it but she was in the first two seasons and is not in the 3rd one yet so just saying.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »
    Seen online that Airium might be in season 3 some how. Some here saying that season 3 is a clean slate and all you need to know is they went to the future but maybe you might want to know about her too. I will not spoil it but she was in the first two seasons and is not in the 3rd one yet so just saying.

She already was, technically. The actor who played her was briefly in episode 2, paying the blond ensign who had an exchange with (IIRC) Jet

• Advertisement
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    She already was, technically. The actor who played her was briefly in episode 2, paying the blond ensign who had an exchange with (IIRC) Jet

Awe cool. Will have to check that out again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd watch the Aerium episode, she was by far the best character and we only found that out in that episode. It also showed they have the capability to write, act, direct etc.

Also, don't forget about Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sleepy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this one - a proper ensemble episode and one of Discovery's strongest until the very last scene when they couldn't help but ruin it with Mary Sue arriving to save the day at the last possible second...

Thw reaction of the bridge crew was so embarrassing.

OMG its Michael!!

GASP! Its Michael!!!!!

*hand covers mouth* Michael is back, we're saved!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Thw reaction of the bridge crew was so embarrassing.

OMG its Michael!!

GASP! Its Michael!!!!!

*hand covers mouth* Michael is back, we're saved!!

If I was one of the lower decks crew, who agreed to go forward so they could skip out on stuff but have no record of it ever happen, dying a hero in the minds of everyone, all I would be thinking is, zero f*cks about Micheal, so long as we are alive because f*ck me if I dodged my sh1tty old life to walk into to the arms of death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

pixelburp wrote: »
    The show has always lacked a purpose, shackled by its previous setting. The question now is if the show can commit to it's vision.

Actually, question to the real nerds: has this time period ever featured? I guess not in the l TV series, but thinking of the various spin off media.

Star Trek Voyager, 'Futures End' Pt1 & 2. 26th, 29th and 31st century, time travel, time ships.. how did they (Starfleet) not pick this up in future years?
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Timeship

This isn't a canon issue it is a puerile writing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

CastorTroy wrote:
    How could you forget Tilly?

Maybe unconsciously.

I'd loved Tilly in the seasons prior, they tried to develop the character as sort of novice underdog who no one takes seriously but she succeeds by failing and trying again and again. And tried to make her a humorous character and insert some jokes. All treks had a humorous character sort of so I think they tried to replicate it.

However, at this stage and in this particular episode, I felt it was sort of repetitive and not that humorous anymore because it wasn't original. Don't know if it was the script, the acting or the directing. I'll watch it again maybe I wasn't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Star Trek Voyager, 'Futures End' Pt1 & 2. 26th, 29th and 31st century, time travel, time ships.. how did they (Starfleet) not pick this up in future years?
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Timeship

This isn't a canon issue it is a puerile writing issue.

It looked like the 29th Century Starfleet were as adapt with timeline management as the Krenim Imperium. It seems odd that they didn't see something like The Burn coming and prevented it from happening.

Although I guess there's every chance of them screwing up...maybe even *causing* The Burn....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That ending montage of Michael reuniting with the crew was quite cringey. I get it's been a year for them but for the viewer it was one episode and came across as quite naff.

This show has a very weird vibe which I can't put my finger on. If you asked me what the purpose was of the previous series' I could give a decent answer even for Enterprise but for this one I'm genuinely lost.

Ms

That ending montage of Michael reuniting with the crew was quite cringey. I get it's been a year for them but for the viewer it was one episode and came across as quite naff.

This show has a very weird vibe which I can't put my finger on. If you asked me what the purpose was of the previous series' I could give a decent answer even for Enterprise but for this one I'm genuinely lost.
    Agreed and 1year is not even that long. It should have been 10 years and she should not have appeared for at least two episodes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

It's the Burnham show as far as I can see everyone else is incidental

It's the Burnham show as far as I can see everyone else is incidental

Star Trek Discovey Burnham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Rawr wrote: »
    You might actually get away with not watching Season 2.
    Stuff happens that mean they have to go into the future....that's about it...

....also Micheal....it's important that you remember Micheal....

They actually don’t have to go into the future at all cause they destroyed control

Was that the tremendously strong cyborg girl that Burnham beat in a fist fight

In the first episode of this season Burnham closes the wormhole with an the iron man suit. My question is how did the discovery get through a closed wormhole one year later ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Agreed and 1year is not even that long. It should have been 10 years and she should not have appeared for at least two episodes.

The way it was shot you'd swear it was a series finale or the ending of a major arc. Totally self indulgent.

My question is how did the discovery get through a closed wormhole one year later ?

It went through shortly afterwards, but didn't emerge for nearly a year compared to Burnham. How? Timey wimey wormholey physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Varying exits of Time jumps is a common theme across Sci fi fantasy. Most recently used in The Umbrella Academy.

Also the suit sealed it from I side so presumably behind Discovery if you think of the wormhole as linear through spacetime. Presumably anything after the spacesuit gets out after, and anything earlier either gets spat out earlier or gets crushed.

More and more I fear when I think like this that the suit caused the burn. I really hope it's just something that's never explained.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Did the wormhole not close itself regardless of the suit going through? I thought she just sent the suit through to create "the last signal" she said as much to spock in the season 2 finale before she went through the wormhole so he would know she made it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

They actually don’t have to go into the future at all cause they destroyed control

Hey....I said "Stuff happens that mean they have to go into the future"

I never said that the stuff needed to make sense :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Great ep until Michael showed up

Interested in detmer. Subtitles said she heard the doc telepathically or something in sick bay
    Could be temporal something interactig w the implant

Advertisement