Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I return faulty product from Currys UK online to Irish store?

Options
  • 17-10-2020 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Last November I bought a Samsung Tab A from Currys UK online.

It was barely used and yesterday I noticed spots under the screen. Further internet research leads me to believe that this is a sign that pixels are dying.

I have my receipt and it is still under a 1 year warranty.

Can I return this to my local store in Galway or do I need to return it to to the UK?

Anyone have any experience with a similar problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Danick wrote: »
    Last November I bought a Samsung Tab A from Currys UK online.

It was barely used and yesterday I noticed spots under the screen. Further internet research leads me to believe that this is a sign that pixels are dying.

I have my receipt and it is still under a 1 year warranty.

Can I return this to my local store in Galway or do I need to return it to to the UK?

Anyone have any experience with a similar problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The samsung website says for warranty issues to contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Currys UK and Currys Ireland are separate companies, so I would be very surprised if you could return it to an Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Surely calling Curry's and walking would have been quicker then posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Surely calling Curry's and walking would have been quicker then posting here?

Great help - thanks! It's a 24 mile drive and I needed a quick answer rather than waiting ages in line on a phone call. Currys not 'Curry's' seeing as we're helping each other out (at least you learned some grammar).

FYI - The first reply above was a brill help - I rang Samsung Ireland and they have taken it in for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The samsung website says for warranty issues to contact them directly.

Irish law says to only deal with the retailer. The manufacturer does not exist. If the manufacturer replaces it the retailer can then say that's not the device we sold so it's not our problem, or if the manufacturer repairs it the retailer could say that a 3rd party did something to it and therefore they won't deal with it.

By going to the manufacturer you remove your own consumer rights if something goes wrong in the future.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Irish law says to only deal with the retailer. The manufacturer does not exist. If the manufacturer replaces it the retailer can then say that's not the device we sold so it's not our problem, or if the manufacturer repairs it the retailer could say that a 3rd party did something to it and therefore they won't deal with it.

By going to the manufacturer you remove your own consumer rights if something goes wrong in the future.

That's good advice - didn't know that - ah well - you live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Currys are not going to fix it either way. They'll take it, it'll sit in a pile for a few days / however long it takes to get sent, go to Samsung eventually, who will return a refurb unit to Currys to sit there till they contact you and you go get it.

They won't have any documentation of the serial number of the replacement unit and won't know it's not the same one they sold you originally if you go back again with it at some point, just like if you bought one in Harvey Norman and went to Currys with it when it stops working using a receipt for the same model your mate bought in Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

right and wrong.

The retailer in many cases appoints the manufacturer / distributor as their authorised repair centre. By going to the manufacturer/distributor as stated in the manual, it does not damage your consumer rights in anyway whatsoever.

But what it does do is skip a middle layer of delay where far too many things can go wrong.

This is also why the manufacturer will request a copy of proof of purchase as they will know which retailer they are effectively being the agent for.

Its a pity that the ccpa does not actually write this up as it would mean an awful lot less aggravation. Or the retailers themselves saying this themselves

silver2020 wrote: »
    right and wrong.

The retailer in many cases appoints the manufacturer / distributor as their authorised repair centre. By going to the manufacturer/distributor as stated in the manual, it does not damage your consumer rights in anyway whatsoever.

But what it does do is skip a middle layer of delay where far too many things can go wrong.

This is also why the manufacturer will request a copy of proof of purchase as they will know which retailer they are effectively being the agent for.

Its a pity that the ccpa does not actually write this up as it would mean an awful lot less aggravation. Or the retailers themselves saying this themselves

That's good news - thank you for explaining this.

Advertisement