Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Amazon dropping An Post?

• 14-10-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭

In the Prime Day thread someone said that their postman said that Amazon were going to stop using An Post.

Discuss ......

Firstly we don't have a lot of evidence that is going to happen so does anyone know more?

My thoughts are that if An Post can't keep a contract with Amazon when they are passing by every door in the country every working day of the week their must be something wrong with An Posts management.

My rural postman thinks that if they loose the contract it will affect him as he reckons 70% of his deliveries are Amazon parcels, but he hasn't heard anything to say its happening.

One thing that did occur to me is that if Amazon are opening up here properly they may have their own logistics department and eventually start doing their own deliveries.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm an Amazon Prime frequent customer and although I will be disappointed if this service is lost purely on a personal level as I get good service from An Post and the local postie, I won't change my spending habits or buying through Amazon.
    Very happy with both of the above service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

In the Prime Day thread someone said that their postman said that Amazon were going to stop using An Post.

Discuss ......

Firstly we don't have a lot of evidence that is going to happen so does anyone know more?

My thoughts are that if An Post can't keep a contract with Amazon when they are passing by every door in the country every working day of the week their must be something wrong with An Posts management.

My rural postman thinks that if they loose the contract it will affect him as he reckons 70% of his deliveries are Amazon parcels, but he hasn't heard anything to say its happening.

One thing that did occur to me is that if Amazon are opening up here properly they may have their own logistics department and eventually start doing their own deliveries.

They should start with dropping fastway. An post are usually great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Our household must get 100 items plus a year from Amazon. I got prime to get away from iParcel and Fastways. Our local postman is excellent as is the service if An Post is replaced with an inferior service it would affect the amount we buy but not by much.

I wonder if there is much of a difference in being rural. The bad An Post stories I here are from the town and the worst courier stories are from out in the country.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dropping? No.

Taking a huge volume away? Yes. Definitely.

The problem is mail men in AP operate at a loss. CourierPost makes money. If you make the profitable part of the org barely profitable it'll have a hard time proping up the rest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Something wrong with An Post's management? I'm shocked at the very idea......Plan A - Increase the price of stamps to cover losses and make sure no-one uses the post anymore. Plan B......erm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

In all markets Amazon have been hiring their own staff. They apparently have dedicated drivers in Dublin now, as they can do it cheaper than an post in Dublin, but they will continue with an post for rural deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

They should start with dropping fastway. An post are usually great.

Do Amazon still use Fastway? It's been years since I've got an i-parcel/Fastway delivery.

Before this month the vast, vast majority of my orders (excluding to Parcel Motel) have come with An Post. I've only had one order arrive with DPD and around 5 or so with UPS, all but one of which were above An Post's size/weight limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No company I order from uses Fastway any more. I presume because they have had some many complaints about them. Valid, too, because they are a disaster.

Amazon "dropping" An Post. Don't know if that's happening. If it does, it'll be a shame though. They are the best delivery service we have in this country, bar none. I've never had a single day's issue with their service and I cannot say that about any private courier firm that I have dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

whiterebel wrote: »
    Something wrong with An Post's management? I'm shocked at the very idea......Plan A - Increase the price of stamps to cover losses and make sure no-one uses the post anymore. Plan B......erm.

somebody says some delivery person says something that is probably third hand information and people suddenly assume it completely true and start looking to blame "management"

This is the same "management" that brought the unions with them on a massive transformation and made sure they are the dominant delivery service in Ireland and went from massive losses to good profits in the process.

And you think there's something wrong?

Amazon use An Post, DPD & now some of their own directly employed drivers (they opened a consolidation centre in Greenogue a couple of weeks ago)

An Post will still have the majority of deliveries, but DPD will get from some and independent drivers will get some too. (Delivery By Amazon Logistics)

Same system applies in many countries
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910090

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Ide say this year i have gotten about 250 parcels from amazon tru AnPost.
    If AnPost loose the amazon contract they may aswell shut up shop.

there will be literally so little to do then.
    It is 2020 FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

ED E wrote: »
    Dropping? No.

Taking a huge volume away? Yes. Definitely.

The problem is mail men in AP operate at a loss. CourierPost makes money. If you make the profitable part of the org barely profitable it'll have a hard time proping up the rest.

pity you don't read the actual correct information, but you have a longstanding hatred of anpost and have never had a good word to say about them

https://www.anpost.com/Media-Centre/News/An-Post-2019-Results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Agree about the excellence of An Post for Amazon deliveries - light years better than Fastway who were utterly appalling.

I was in Lidl in Bantry earlier today and noticed a new cluster of lockers in the car park with the An Post logo - they looked exactly like the Parcel Motel setup. Has anyone heard that An Post are setting up a Parcel Motel type operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've had two deliveries from Amazon since the switch. The first was a day late because on the day they were supposed to deliver I got a notification from them saying they couldn't find my address. The second I got a call from someone in broken English claiming he might be outside my place but he was lost, I could barely understand him. I was five minutes from home and managed to meet him on the way in. Not a great experience thus far.

With an post everything was just left in my letterbox if it was big enough (you need the code to enter my building to access my letterbox which an post have), or they ring my apartment if it's too big and I need to come down and collect it off them. The depot is a kilometre down the road too if I ever need to pick anything up from there (rarely).

12-15 drops an hour in the US for flex drivers. If the Irish lads do that, reportedly 100+ vans on the road. Let's say 100 vans, 6 days, 6hrs a day to be conservative. That's be 40k deliveries a week+. Awful lot.

They're not ready yet though, three AP and one DPD from prime orders so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tony EH wrote: »
    No company I order from uses Fastway any more. I presume because they have had some many complaints about them. Valid, too, because they are a disaster.

In their defense, the complaints can be levelled only at the local franchisees. It’s a tough business to make any money in. I have found my local Fastway in Newbridge very good. Rocks up pre 8 to try catch someone before the school run. We use them for the odd piece of kit to ship out of workplace in Cork and the person they get is also very good and reliable.

Agree about the excellence of An Post for Amazon deliveries - light years better than Fastway who were utterly appalling.

I was in Lidl in Bantry earlier today and noticed a new cluster of lockers in the car park with the An Post logo - they looked exactly like the Parcel Motel setup. Has anyone heard that An Post are setting up a Parcel Motel type operation?

They're in operation a while. You can't address to them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Parcel-Lockers

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Disappointing if true, I order a lot from Amazon and I find An Post excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Damien360 wrote: »
    In their defense, the complaints can be levelled only at the local franchisees. It’s a tough business to make any money in. I have found my local Fastway in Newbridge very good. Rocks up pre 8 to try catch someone before the school run. We use them for the odd piece of kit to ship out of workplace in Cork and the person they get is also very good and reliable.

Of course. But I'd wager your experience is very much a minority one.

In the main, I have heard absolutely nothing good about them and my own experiences have been, frankly, appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Ive been unfortunate enough to have had to use fastway 3 times.
    My first time when i checked the tracking and it was showing as delivered and it had the screen shot of where the driver had signed my name. Went to their office to find out what was happening and just got fobbed off with silly excuses, no apology or explanation for forging customers signatures and not delivering. It showed up 3 days later with no further explanation.
    2nd time had no issues and the 3rd time package went missing and they didnt seem to give a single **** when i tried to find it.

I was buying a few pc parts about a month back and when i realised it would be in their hands i ended up buying elsewhere as i have no faith in them delivering on time, or potentially not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Well now An Post have been amazing as we know the postie well and he puts everything in a dropspot behind the house. We get maybe 3 to 4 amazon deliveries a week.

My latest order is now coming with a DPD tracking order! DPD won't drop if I'm not in so it's hassle. I'll just go back to getting everything sent to work where we have a reception office.

Advertisement