Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

looking for a second Opinion

Options
  • 11-10-2020 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a sample order from a supplier on Alibaba, I received the sample order with No issues and I really like the product.

The supplier is selling for 5+ years on Alibaba, has trade assurance, is a gold supplier, reviews are really good at 4.8/5 and has $160.000 is sales for the last 6 month.

I do not have much concern for receiving my items but more so on what to expect or how it works as I have not let a supplier have control over delivery before.

They have given me a good price for DDP shipping as the items will cost around €5000 including DDP. They told me that the pallet will go by train to Germany and another company from there to my doorstep.

I am just curious as the pallet will be around 300kg, and I dont want any surprise custom fees.

Thanks in advance
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You will almost certainly get caught for customs fees and usually DPD request these are paid before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 john413

Thanks for the reply iwillhtfu,

I have decided to continue with the order anyways as even if I am charged 23% vat and the customs duty I will still be saving. I will post here on what the outcome of the situation is.

Thanks
    John

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Customs clearance can also go up to 2.5% off the value as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You will almost certainly get caught for customs fees and usually DPD request these are paid before delivery.

DDP means delivery duty paid.. I presume this is what the OP meant rather than referring to DPD the company..

If you are buying are terms DDP, no extra charges should be payable by the OP/Consignee as these will have been paid by the shipper already

OP, did you get an FOB price also from the shipper? If you need the goods in a hurry the rail option could be good, but it is expensive and a little bit cumbersome still, so you may be able to get the goods shipped much cheaper by sea if you can live with the extra transit time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 john413

DDP means delivery duty paid.. I presume this is what the OP meant rather than referring to DPD the company..

If you are buying are terms DDP, no extra charges should be payable by the OP/Consignee as these will have been paid by the shipper already

OP, did you get an FOB price also from the shipper? If you need the goods in a hurry the rail option could be good, but it is expensive and a little bit cumbersome still, so you may be able to get the goods shipped much cheaper by sea if you can live with the extra transit time.

Thanks for the reply Andrew,
    Yes the shipping terms are DDP, not DPD as in the courier service.
    I paid $800 for DDP shipping by train to Germany then a courier service to my doorstep.

The pallet will be at least 300KG, I thought with a total price of $800 DDP It wouldn't pay me to get FOB price from the supplier then pay all the necessary fees afterwards.

I have paid the supplier as of yesterday, I just have my doubt's that it will be truly DDP

Thanks for all the help everyone and I will post the outcome of this.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My advice is buy FOB and get an agent to sort the shipping and clearance.

Advertisement