Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Cooking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

mystic86 wrote: »
    10!! Wow!

Interesting that you brush it on the outside mainly, I wonder does it penetrate much

I just emptied a shot glass of whiskey over mine yesterday. The only way is down though the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was always told never to pierce a fruit cake, as it introduces bacteria... I just sprinkle a cap full or so over the cake every two weeks. Last year I started alternating feeding it from the bottom, then the top. But I didn't notice any difference. I know plenty of people who don't bother feeding it at all, it's all the sugar that preserves it, not so much the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I was always told never to pierce a fruit cake, as it introduces bacteria... I just sprinkle a cap full or so over the cake every two weeks. Last year I started alternating feeding it from the bottom, then the top. But I didn't notice any difference. I know plenty of people who don't bother feeding it at all, it's all the sugar that preserves it, not so much the alcohol.

I am a complete noob - but is the alcohol not for depth and moisture rather than preservation?

Also would bacteria develop if pouring over shots of alcohol every 10 days or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Feeding fruit cake is for flavour not for preservation. I never stick holes in it and if you must use a sterilised skewer. I would prefer to brush alcohol all over outside which is a safer solution, having said that who ever got sick from a Christmas cake!

Biggest risk is cutting down the sugar content or the fruit content in the hopes of making it 'healthier', you need all the sugar and the large ratio of dried fruit (more sugar) to preserve it.

phormium wrote: »
    I never stick holes in it and if you must use a sterilised skewer.

Woopsies. Cake number 2, in 2021 maybe. :)

• Advertisement

It will be grand :) Our grandmothers did it for years and no one came to any harm.

Although my mother in law I discovered after my first Christmas dinner in her house used to half cook the turkey Christmas Eve, leave it sit on the table overnight and put it back in next day to finish cooking.

I have never been so sick in my life as I was after that dinner, obviously her own family were immune to the effects after years of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Although my mother in law I discovered after my first Christmas dinner in her house used to half cook the turkey Christmas Eve, leave it sit on the table overnight and put it back in next day to finish cooking.

I have never been so sick in my life as I was after that dinner, obviously her own family were immune to the effects after years of it!

I feel sick just reading that! Even when fully cooked its recommended that poultry be refrigerated within30/45 minutes or so to avoid bacteria growth. Half cooking it & leaving it out at room temperature for hours sounds like a recipe for salmonella... I wouldn't have touched it, have had food poisoning before & its not pleasant at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Oh dear. You certainly found out the hard way.

DvB wrote: »
    I wouldn't have touched it, have had food poisoning before & its not pleasant at all.

Neither would I had I known in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I wouldn't worry about the skewer thing. Not much bacteria on a clean, stainless steel skewer anyway. I always stab mine thoroughly, top and bottom, and trickle some brandy or whiskey in. Really improves the moisture and flavour.
    The "keeping" powers of my cake have never been tested :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Someone was bound to ask this so said I'd get there first :)........ Sprouts? I really want to like them, convenient to cook, full of nutrients. I like cabbage, broccoli, kale but I just can't get on with sprouts! There's a thousand recipes for them out there but as far as I can see, they're all designed to make you forget that you're eating sprouts :D
    Has anyone had any revelations with a particular recipe that turned you around on sprouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bassfish wrote: »
    Has anyone had any revelations with a particular recipe that turned you around on sprouts?

Dipped in chocolate!........only joking

The people who eat them here actually like them so we just cook them with some almond flakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I just did shredded sprouts and garlic as part of hash for breakfast. Fried off some garlic added Shredded sprouts and fried for 2-3 mins. Then added a few tablespoons of stock and simmered until it was gone. I really liked it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I love sprouts all ways.

They usually get served in my house at Christmas being lightly boiled, then stir fried in butter with chopped pancetta and almonds and seasoned with salt and pepper.

My friend cooked sprouts one night by taking a package of sausages out of their casings and frying them up into a crumble on the pan until golden, then adding shredded sprouts and stir frying with lots of black pepper. It was amazing.

They are also good roasted. But if you don't like them, don't torture yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

foodaholic wrote: »

That looks absolutely gorgeous

I never liked them and even now a boiled sprout wouldn't excite me, I'd eat a couple but that's it. But, add some magical ingredients like bacon, nuts, parmesan, cream, butter.... and they are transformed into something delicious. I've been known to shred, fry in butter and add to scrambled eggs with some parmesan for breakfast mmmm.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Bassfish wrote: »
    Someone was bound to ask this so said I'd get there first :)........ Sprouts? I really want to like them, convenient to cook, full of nutrients. I like cabbage, broccoli, kale but I just can't get on with sprouts! There's a thousand recipes for them out there but as far as I can see, they're all designed to make you forget that you're eating sprouts :D

The problem with sprouts is that in most cases, they are overcooked if boiled and basically smell...farty? I love all vegetables and love sprouts but boiled to oblivion puts me off. Would still eat them but not with gusto.

My recipe is to parboil briefly, then blanch & drain fully. Then pan fry with a knob of butter, a dash of red wine vinegar, and tablespoon of each chopped chives and tarragon (added in towards the end) A medium high heat to get almost-charred roasty bits on some sides only improves the flavour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I have never had a sprout in my life :D

I want to try them this December with a Sunday roast, something with parmesan and pancetta or the crumble sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Just give me a plate of boiled sprouts.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Tuesday 3rd November forever remembered as the day of the Sprout!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Tuesday 3rd November forever remembered as the day of the Sprout!

ZubAovO.jpg
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Best sprouts I have ever eaten was - surprisingly - in an Italian restaurant in Vancouver.

They were so good that our party ordered a second dish of them: quite unbelievably delicious, even to serious anti-sprout-ers among us.

I posted them a rave review on Trip Advisor and the restaurant, with true elegance, supplied the recipe: the trimmed small sprouts were pan-fried in butter until caramel gold, then finished with lemon and grated Parmesan. Slurp slurp.

PS I've never actually made this recipe, but I intend to this year. Would be terrific with a Christmas turkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Guill wrote: »
    Just give me a plate of boiled sprouts.:o

To be fair, playing with sprouts is not for Christmas Day. Christmas Day is sprouts boiled to within an inch of their lives. Wouldn’t taste right if it wasn’t done like my mum!

To be fair, playing with sprouts is not for Christmas Day. Christmas Day is sprouts boiled to within an inch of their lives. Wouldn’t taste right if it wasn’t done like my mum!

Your mum.... your mum is a sprout?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

We use some of the water from the boiling of the ham to boil the sprouts in, the water is like a stock so it takes the "strong" taste off the sprouts. We trim away the very green leaves off the outside of them as well to leave lovely sweet sprouts. A bit of bread sauce and yum! ha ha

I also love that Christmas cooking is back on the Food Network channel in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I like sprouts but find them very filling - so for me they are a main course and not a side dish.
    This autumn/winter I have already had them a couple of times for dinner - (never boiled) cooked with bacon. I buy them frozen by the way.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Best sprouts I have ever eaten was - surprisingly - in an Italian restaurant in Vancouver.

They were so good that our party ordered a second dish of them: quite unbelievably delicious, even to serious anti-sprout-ers among us.

I posted them a rave review on Trip Advisor and the restaurant, with true elegance, supplied the recipe: the trimmed small sprouts were pan-fried in butter until caramel gold, then finished with lemon and grated Parmesan. Slurp slurp.

PS I've never actually made this recipe, but I intend to this year. Would be terrific with a Christmas turkey!

That sounds fab - I think I'll try that with the bag I have at home tomorrow to test it out.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    That sounds fab - I think I'll try that with the bag I have at home tomorrow to test it out.

I'll try to find the actual recipe, and post it here. Today if possible!

Advertisement