Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

State exams Nov 2020

• 25-09-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭

https://examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-EX-59182910.pdf

Running for a full month at night and weekends in the dead of winter
    So many questions
    1. Where will they take place ? I was assuming local education centres but it seems it may be schools even if there are only one or two in each local school
    2. Who is expected to open and close ?
    3. Who will supervise ?
    4. Who will correct ?

I think the whole plan is based on hoping the uptake is very very low

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Interesting. A heavy first weekend for anyone doing the whole lot. A heavy week for anyone with any of the popular subjects as they have been front loaded.

I'd imagine it would be the same examiners who were appointed in the summer. Marking in the evening and at weekends, much like the appeals are done in September. There won't be a huge number of papers in any subject.

As for supervision, I guess when they know how many students sign up I guess they'll appoint people to supervise from those who applied for the exams in June.

My guess is that they'll take place in schools. If they are running over a month, it would be a bit much asking people to horse up and down to Athlone (or wherever to do them), and for any core subject where they will probably have the largest numbers, not the most practical in terms of rooms and social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

My guess is that they'll take place in schools. If they are running over a month, it would be a bit much asking people to horse up and down to Athlone (or wherever to do them), and for any core subject where they will probably have the largest numbers, not the most practical in terms of rooms and social distancing.

That’s my guess too so...........who closes the school /opens and closes it at weekends .....
    Do P/DPs have to be on call throughout the exam sessions ? After working all day/week (and summer hols ) ?

There are education centres all around the country and most wont be in use now as night classes are all “webinars “ these days !

Maybe the JCT brigade could do it ! They should all have been sent back to the classrooms this year . I seen a tweet earlier about their important work “repurposing” think/pair/share and the like for this year. Give me strength !
    Or the inspectorate . They aren’t up to much either

km79 wrote: »
    That’s my guess too so...........who closes the school /opens and closes it at weekends .....
    Do P/DPs have to be on call throughout the exam sessions ? After working all day/week (and summer hols ) ?

There are education centres all around the country and most wont be in use now as night classes are all “webinars “ these days !

Maybe the JCT brigade could do it ! They should all have been sent back to the classrooms this year . I seen a tweet earlier about their important work “repurposing” think/pair/share and the like for this year. Give me strength !
    Or the inspectorate . They aren’t up to much either

tenor.gif?itemid=13670024

“ The SEC says it is intended that candidates will sit their examinations in their former schools, as they would have had the exams proceeded in June. ”

There are 3 schools in the town I work in
    There might be a handful of students for some exams in all 3 schools
    All 3 will have to be opened , heated etc . With 3 diff supervisors
    This will be replicated in other small towns
    Daft !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At that rate, it could end up costing them quite a bit of the money saved.

The bean counters will have a fit.

• Advertisement

It’s a good job schools won’t be having PTMS in the schools or staff meetings or school shows etc

Interestingly it does say the exams going ahead is still subject to public health advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

spurious wrote: »
    At that rate, it could end up costing them quite a bit of the money saved.

The bean counters will have a fit.

I think teachers will be called upon to throw on the green Jersey again.

Or the red jersey as I like to call it nowadays
    527477.jpg

Treppen wrote: »
    I think teachers will be called upon to throw on the green Jersey again.

Why? The SEC contract people to do this work and pay them. Why would this be any different.

I got this email from the SEC in June as I had applied for superintending

Dear Applicant,

I wish to convey our sincere gratitude to you for applying for the position of Superintendent at the 2020 written examinations and for your forbearance during these challenging times.

We regret that due to the cancellation of these examinations because of the Covid-19 crisis we do not require any Superintendents for the summer of 2020. While the 2020 Junior Cycle examinations have been cancelled, candidates for the 2020 Leaving Certificate written examinations will have the option to sit these when it is safe and practicable for them to take place. When these Leaving Certificate examinations are rescheduled we will see what our requirements are and if we need to contact you at that stage we will. There will be no need to reapply.

Once again, we thank you for your patience and in any event we look forward to working with you again next year. To that end we will automatically issue you with an application form to Superintend at the 2021 written examinations.

Why? The SEC contract people to do this work and pay them. Why would this be any different.

I think it will be P/DPs who will be asked to don the green jersey
    The unions are very quiet on this
    And the request for personal phone numbers ......

I wonder would there be a few inspectors and JCT members who could help schools out .......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got the same email.
    For any teacher who is currently working I presume you are released from school like the practicals etc.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I got the same email.
    For any teacher who is currently working I presume you are released from school like the practicals etc.

There are no practicals. All winter exams are 100% written.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

There are no practicals. All winter exams are 100% written.

Yes, sorry I meant I presume superintendents will be released from school like practical examiners in previous years. (Km79 asked who will supervise).

Yes, sorry I meant I presume superintendents will be released from school like practical examiners in previous years. (Km79 asked who will supervise).

That will create another headache for schools as there are damn all teachers available as is !

Interesting to see how it will be operated

But they're all in the evening after school hours???

No exam starts earlier than 5:30 according to the timetable. If you finish work at 4 you could be sent to another school in the locality to supervise. Personally I would have thought that postage would be a more awkward consideration.

Post offices aren't open at night so are the exams locked up in the school at night to be collected and posted the following day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It will be in the evenings and at weekends, being released won't come into it.

It will be in the evenings and at weekends, being released won't come into it.

Get those jerseys ready

There's a full circular on it.

SEC will appoint a superintendent to run the exams in the school. The school can appoint an aide.

School to source superintendents for centres, including special centres.

It will be very hard to recruit superintendents I think but numbers will be very small I would say.

Get those jerseys ready

It’s paid work. Nobody is obliged to do it. If it doesn’t suit you, don’t apply

There's a full circular on it.

SEC will appoint a superintendent to run the exams in the school. The school can appoint an aide.

School to source superintendents for centres, including special centres.

It will be very hard to recruit superintendents I think but numbers will be very small I would say.

I can’t see that circular online ?
    Would you mind posting a link

School to source superintendents for centres,

Isn’t that the SEC job ?
    What’s happens if there are no takers ......

• Advertisement

Isn’t that the SEC job ?
    What’s happens if there are no takers ......

Then the craic will start.

It was hard enough to get LWR, covid aide, calculated grades aide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is very much the SEC's job to source independent Superintendents.

In fact, they expect people to declare any connections to schools or candidates. It would be outrageous for schools to choose their own superintendents for exams. Too many possibilities for shenanigans.

In fact, they expect people to declare any connections to schools or candidates. It would be outrageous for schools to choose their own superintendents for exams. Too many possibilities for shenanigans.

An excellent point

It would be outrageous for schools to choose their own superintendents for exams. Too many possibilities for shenanigans.

I agree but that's what they plan on doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You’re not wrong, but possible “shenanigans” during actual exams is certainly no worse than the invented grades debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

It’s been obvious all along that they really hope that these exams don’t have to go ahead. I hope there is a reasonable uptake just to put the pressure on the SEC but it won’t happen, uptake will be small. Even if a student wanted to give them a go, they would surely feel that they are not properly prepared for the exams.

Newbie20 wrote: »
    It’s been obvious all along that they really hope that these exams don’t have to go ahead. I hope there is a reasonable uptake just to put the pressure on the SEC but it won’t happen, uptake will be small. Even if a student wanted to give them a go, they would surely feel that they are not properly prepared for the exams.

There won't be massive pressure on the SEC I think. Some schools because of the cohort of students they have will not have anyone sitting the exams. Other schools will have multiple students, but realistically will still only need one large room for the exam, unless there is a student who requires a special centre.

Unless you have multiple students in a centre, sitting all 7 subjects each, most centres will only be open for a couple of days. I'd imagine that maths will be the most popular exam given the college entry requirement.

Anyone who is in the high points brigade and got their 550+ points for medicine etc, but didn't get a place will only repeat the H2s or lower.

I still can’t see any circular posted online ?

I still can’t see any circular posted online ?

Found it buried on the sec site
    https://www.examinations.ie/schools/cs_view.php?q=ec2ca939b5a2c8469f09acadf097317ad4793df1

• Advertisement

So.............how are these exams going to go ahead if the country heads the way it is going by mid November ..............”subject fo public health advice “...........

Advertisement