Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Surely as clear a case of "goods not as described" as you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭statto25

Did you get any sort of warranty with the car? If you did Id be inclined to just leave it well alone as any notion of goodwill from the dealer will be gone if you bring them to court

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

statto25 wrote: »
    Did you get any sort of warranty with the car? If you did Id be inclined to just leave it well alone as any notion of goodwill from the dealer will be gone if you bring them to court

Have a 6 month warranty, I think goodwill is gone as they are refusing to supply what they advertised. Cant let this go on the basis of possibley having car issues in the next 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭statto25

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Have a 6 month warranty, I think goodwill is gone as they are refusing to supply what they advertised. Cant let this go on the basis of possibley having car issues in the next 5 months

What do you want the dealer to do? Replace car or fit bluetooth head unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

Something like this happened with me with a new Honda civic in 2005. It was advertised as having rear disc breaks on the honda.ie website but th car didnt when i took delivery.. i contacted honda ireland about it and they updated the website and that was it. They had obviously just copied the uk site.. i was a little miffed they didnt even say thanks but id a good relationship with the honda dealer so didnt want to make a big deal of it.

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    What do you want the dealer to do? Replace car or fit bluetooth head unit?

I did suggest that they fit a decentbluetooth device and I would cover the cost of an alarm

Something like this happened with me with a new Honda civic in 2005. It was advertised as having rear disc breaks on the honda.ie website but th car didnt when i took delivery.. i contacted honda ireland about it and they updated the website and that was it. They had obviously just copied the uk site.. i was a little miffed they didnt even say thanks but id a good relationship with the honda dealer so didnt want to make a big deal of it.

I don't have any relationship with this dealer. I only chose this car over other similar ones based on it having what was advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

I assume it would take a while for them to hear anything from the small claims court after you set the wheels in motion.Why don't you wait until maybe the 4 month mark before starting anything,that way they most likely hear anything until nearish the end of your warranty.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just tell them you'll be bringing it to small claims. Day in court would cost more than a car kit. Confirm the contact details with them (registered owner of the business I presume), and see if they want to reconsider. If not, fill it out and stick it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How can I check if its an import. I've already told the insurance company that's its not

Look at the rear number on plate holder. Is it designed for Irish plates or the taller jap ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

HBC08 wrote: »
    I assume it would take a while for them to hear anything from the small claims court after you set the wheels in motion.Why don't you wait until maybe the 4 month mark before starting anything,that way they most likely hear anything until nearish the end of your warranty.

Surely waiting 4 months to bring a case looks bad. Makes it look like not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it has an alarm there should be a sticker with a padlock and some radio wave type icons on it on the front door glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

johnb25 wrote: »
    Surely waiting 4 months to bring a case looks bad. Makes it look like not a big deal.

I dont know tbh but I don't think it would have any bearing in the final outcome.This way he would keep his warranty and still hopefully get it sorted one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

HBC08 wrote: »
    I dont know tbh but I don't think it would have any bearing in the final outcome.This way he would keep his warranty and still hopefully get it sorted one way or another.

Can warranty issues also be taken to the SCC? I doubt the court would take too kindly to the dealer not fixing a warranty issue because of a previous SCC finding against them, shows bad faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

johnb25 wrote: »

Exact opposite. SCC expects you to make every effort to resolve the case without resort to the court so a case soon after purchase won't look like you haven't bothered engaging with the seller.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Exact opposite. SCC expects you to make every effort to resolve the case without resort to the court so a case soon after purchase won't look like you haven't bothered engaging with the seller.

I bought the car on the 18th September. I have rang numerous times and sent about 15 emails.
    Salesman said last week that he would sort out the Bluetooth device but he only ment to say he would organise someone to install at my expense.
    He then said as there was a error in the add that he couldn't stand over it and the matter is closed.
    Not sure how much more conversation is to be had here

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

Hi all
    Looking for advice regarding an issue.
    Just bought a second hand car from a main dealer. Car was advertised with Bluetooth and an alarm. Took the car for a test drive and was happy so paid the money.
    When I got home I started messing about trying to figure out the radio, display ect.. I tried to figure out pairing Bluetooth until. I realised there was none. There is no alarm installed either.
    Is it a case that I should have realised this before paying the money?
    Dealer is closed until Monday so haven't had a chance to contact them

Try googling the advert it may pop up on another website or the old page might just be there. You would need a copy of it. It is sold as seen however it was sold as advertised and you can argue that as per the below responses (if they refuse to fit a bluetooth)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

While the original ad would be very useful here, the email chain where they admit it was an error should be sufficient to show that it was advertised with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

try the small claims court its free to start the process and if they accept you pay the €25 then they send a letter to the garage this might be all you need to get them to fit the items
    lodge the case for 500

CD2020! wrote: »
    Try googling the advert it may pop up on another website or the old page might just be there. You would need a copy of it. It is sold as seen however it was sold as advertised and you can argue that as per the below responses (if they refuse to fit a bluetooth)

I contacted carzone. Ie and got a copy of the add. I also forwarded it to the dealer to prove they advertised the car with these included

• Advertisement

Carzone use automated data, (I think from Jato) on their ads. It may have been added as a feature using data from the reg number.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Carzone use automated data, (I think from Jato) on their ads. It may have been added as a feature using data from the reg number.

Even so, surely the dealer is responsible for proof reading the add

Carzone have covered themselves for this in the terms and conditions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Other option is you just hand the car back to the dealer for a full refund on the basis it's not what was advertised.

seagull wrote: »
    Other option is you just hand the car back to the dealer for a full refund on the basis it's not what was advertised.

Not too sure that would work, my car would probably just sit in their yard with them refusing to pay

The only reason you'd go to small claims is if you want to return the car. Anything you do will cost more than if you pay for BT yourself. But i get it, its the principal. Maybe will have to chalk it up to a bad experience and leave them a bad review(factual).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only reason you'd go to small claims is if you want to return the car. Anything you do will cost more than if you pay for BT yourself. But i get it, its the principal. Maybe will have to chalk it up to a bad experience and leave them a bad review(factual).

Small Claims is entirely valid for looking for the cost of the non-supplied kit.

L1011 wrote: »
    Small Claims is entirely valid for looking for the cost of the non-supplied kit.

as per my full reply- I meant in the context of cost.

as per my full reply- I meant in the context of cost.

Small Claims costs 25 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Not too sure that would work, my car would probably just sit in their yard with them refusing to pay

Give them a call and ask them. If they agree, you're sorted. If not, you carry on with small claims.

Advertisement