Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Bobtheman wrote: »
    L
    However the evidence is generally that teenagers don't pass it to adults or so I'm told.

What evidence? Teenagers can pass it to adults, their viral load is the same as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t really care about pubs, we’ve far too many of them anyways, so if they close they close. I don’t see them as vital to daily life.
    As for schools again I really believe the government is following a strategy of letting the younger population contract this so they have immunity to it. I actually think it’s their go forward strategy hence you’re not seeing lockdowns in Dublin and pubs are reopening to provide another covid spreading environment. I don’t think that lives matter so much anymore, or at least it’s a calculated and accepted loss at this stage to keep the economy open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

screamer wrote: »
    Don’t really care about pubs, we’ve far too many of them anyways, so if they close they close. I don’t see them as vital to daily life.
    As for schools again I really believe the government is following a strategy of letting the younger population contract this so they have immunity to it. I actually think it’s their go forward strategy hence you’re not seeing lockdowns in Dublin and pubs are reopening to provide another covid spreading environment. I don’t think that lives matter so much anymore, or at least it’s a calculated and accepted loss at this stage to keep the economy open.

I think the government didnt have a strategy beyond getting the schools open and even that as we all know was down to staff in schools and not the government.

As for the pubs, I think they are caving to public pressure. A fortnight ago or so they were saying pubs had to stay closed to give the schools a chance, well schools are still reopening and now the pubs will reopen, so much for giving schools a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

gaiscioch wrote: »
    In small classes, with 2 metres (plus) between the teacher and the nearest student, are you all still wearing visors or masks? A couple of parents made a complaint about the non-use of a visor by a teacher in that context so just wondering what’s happening elsewhere.

I’m in a few rooms with a 2m distance so I take off the visor and mask. No complaints so far. Currently school is the only environment I am in on a daily basis so I take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Furby2020

I have a child off sick with a cough since last Thursday - no other symptoms. In normal times I would put it down to a cold and she would be in school - however I can't send her to school with a cough. I spoke to GP today who advised waiting until Thursday to see does it settle if not put her forward for testing to rule out Covid to get her back to school. My question is - do I need to contact the school if we are sending her for testing? I have not contacted school and they have not contacted me since she has been absent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think it's beyond unacceptable to expect students to wear masks but have teachers exempt. I would actively oppose such a policy.

In out school it appears that senior management is exempt from masks. They are constantly in visors.

Teach30 wrote: »
    I’m in a few rooms with a 2m distance so I take off the visor and mask.

I'd say you are perfectly entitled to do that. Masks (don't see the point of visors at all) are required where social distancing cannot be achieved. If it can then there's no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Rosita wrote: »
    I'd say you are perfectly entitled to do that. Masks (don't see the point of visors at all) are required where social distancing cannot be achieved. If it can then there's no issue.

Visors protect the mucous membranes of the eye from airborne infection. It is an extra layer of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

This is an aerosol based virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Furby2020 wrote: »
    I have a child off sick with a cough since last Thursday - no other symptoms. In normal times I would put it down to a cold and she would be in school - however I can't send her to school with a cough. I spoke to GP today who advised waiting until Thursday to see does it settle if not put her forward for testing to rule out Covid to get her back to school. My question is - do I need to contact the school if we are sending her for testing? I have not contacted school and they have not contacted me since she has been absent.

Bit of conflicting info going around.
    We were told by GP get tested straight away to save time. Once you test negative and symptoms go, you're free to return to work.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I’m in a few rooms with a 2m distance so I take off the visor and mask. No complaints so far. Currently school is the only environment I am in on a daily basis so I take the chance.

...that you won't get it or that you won't pass it on?

It's pretty impossible in most schools to achieve any reasonable level of social distancing. Kids might be sitting 1-2m apart in classrooms but they are mixing with each other where possible at break and lunch and outside school.

We had our first positive test in school today. Personally I expect that there will be more. School has been told to continue, business as usual for the moment.

khalessi wrote: »
    Visors protect the mucous membranes of the eye from airborne infection. It is an extra layer of protection.

Yes, that's great for our senior management team. Now what about the people they are breathing over when not wearing masks?

I'm not really concerned about the mucous membranes of their eyes - they can look after themselves. I'm just not sure why a student in a classroom and teachers generally are expected to wear masks while the SMT can deal at close quarters with people without them. To use their own jargon on them it's not exactly "showing leadership".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We had our first positive test in school today. Personally I expect that there will be more. School has been told to continue, business as usual for the moment.

Were any Kids or Teachers told to stay at home (apart from the Positive case) ?
    Pod / Whole Class / Staff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Were any Kids or Teachers told to stay at home (apart from the Positive case) ?
    Pod / Whole Class / Staff ?

No, none were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

13 open Clusters in Schools.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-...on_v1.0_14092020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Anyone hear what’s happening with school tours booked for October midterm?

Anyone hear what’s happening with school tours booked for October midterm?

Well we've been told trips to Carlingford, Delphi, etc for TYs are still going ahead, nothing about trips abroad yet. Feel sorry for TYs this year, no guest speakers, few trips if any, no work experience and relegated to a far off part of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well we've been told trips to Carlingford, Delphi, etc for TYs are still going ahead, nothing about trips abroad yet. Feel sorry for TYs this year, no guest speakers, few trips if any, no work experience and relegated to a far off part of the school.

Did TY in a rural school during Foot and Mouth. It was a bit of a wasted year, it had been designed around us going lots of places and doing things like school play etc. which we obviously then couldn't do, so they really have my sympathy. The teaching staff have enough to stress about without also having to redesign the ty course. Does it have a curriculum yet?

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Did TY in a rural school during Foot and Mouth. It was a bit of a wasted year, it had been designed around us going lots of places and doing things like school play etc. which we obviously then couldn't do, so they really have my sympathy. The teaching staff have enough to stress about without also having to redesign the ty course. Does it have a curriculum yet?

It's bit odd actually. Management tried to make it more academic, but during the WSE, that got a slap in the wrist and told to make it less academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's bit odd actually. Management tried to make it more academic, but during the WSE, that got a slap in the wrist and told to make it less academic.

That sounds like a nightmare.

I don't envy you, or them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭doc_17

Restaurants have been open 3 months and have had 6 clusters. Schools have open 3 weeks and have 13 clusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

doc_17 wrote: »
    Restaurants have been open 3 months and have had 6 clusters. Schools have open 3 weeks and have 13 clusters?

Think about that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

kippy wrote: »
    Think about that for a while.

One of the justifications for opening them was they were a controlled environment

Id have to disagree, a lot of classes have 20+ in them and during classes there is a certain amount of control

However at breaks etc its impossible to enforce proper social distancing etc

Kids are kids and will push boundaries, unless there is backup for school management and staff in terms of cobsequences you can apply for repeat non-compliance then kids will continue to be kids and remove masks when playing or when they think they can get away with it/continue to touch each other whether that be mess kicks in the arse, jostling, chasing etc ....this applies particularly to junior lads in a secondary setting im hearing

My guess is its widespread and thats just one issue.....give schools the tools to enforce compliance like rhey should have been givem to enforce discipline for years before this and maybe reopening schools could work to some extent

If some parents knew that little johnny or mary becomes their problem in quick order if they dont do what they are told then they might also do something to change the behaviour

You also need strong personalities in charge that dont take **** as well as proper backup in terms of the rules/regulations etc if the schools are to avoid becoming the centres for more spread of infection imo

As things stand the temptation to sweep things under the carpet is too great and is probably the right decision given the framework schools now operate in......ffs its govt strategy to stymie the flow of information do the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in the system.

That's the disadvantage of gradually removing more and more autonomy from teachers and pitting management and teachers against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

So at a time when school staff have been working frantically for months to get them Covid compliant and have been told to limit visitors etc etc etc the Taoiseach has this morning has this to say

“ "I would like us to do more for the arts through schools. I said to Norma Foley to look at giving artists work in schools. Children will benefit, arts and culture will benefit, we keep artists working. We have to create new areas of employment."

Give them work in schools
    What kind of work?
    Just make up jobs for unqualified people is it ?
    Child protection ?
    Maybe they can open and close the schools at nights and weekends for the SEC during leaving cert

This constant mixed messages is not helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Anyone see the WhatsApp video circulating of apparently a specific drogheda school. Anyone know if the uniforms are correct? Should be assault tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

km79 wrote: »
    So at a time when school staff have been working frantically for months to get them Covid compliant and have been told to limit visitors etc etc etc the Taoiseach has this morning has this to say

“ "I would like us to do more for the arts through schools. I said to Norma Foley to look at giving artists work in schools. Children will benefit, arts and culture will benefit, we keep artists working. We have to create new areas of employment."

Give them work in schools
    What kind of work?
    Just make up jobs for unqualified people is it ?
    Child protection ?
    Maybe they can open and close the schools at nights and weekends for the SEC during leaving cert

This constant mixed messages is not helpful

It's funny the way people think "shur throw them into schools". Like they did during the recession ("they should be let invigilate exams" , brigade) and s&s dispute. It appeals to a certain cohort.

The there are already loads of musicians and artists who do outreach programs but they've been shut down. Also already thousands of coaches, afters-school activity teachers, music, drama teachers etc. who've already been put on hold and restricted from entering schools.
    Look after them first Micheal, rather than 5hite talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Treppen wrote: »
    It's funny the way people think "shur throw them into schools". Like they did during the recession ("they should be let invigilate exams" , brigade) and s&s dispute. It appeals to a certain cohort.

The there are already loads of musicians and artists who do outreach programs but they've been shut down. Also already thousands of coaches, afters-school activity teachers, music, drama teachers etc. who've already been put on hold and restricted from entering schools.
    Look after them first Micheal, rather than 5hite talk.

It shows complete and utter disdain for the teaching profession
    “Sure anyone can do it “
    Hospitals are understaffed as well
    Send them in there as well so. Play a bit of music for the patients . Do some art for them .
    Same principle no ?

Anyone see the WhatsApp video circulating of apparently a specific drogheda school. Anyone know if the uniforms are correct? Should be assault tbh

The chicken fillet roll one

Dont know if that was a teacher or student getting slammed to the ground, looked like a teacher

km79 wrote: »
    It shows complete and utter disdain for the teaching profession
    “Sure anyone can do it “
    Hospitals are understaffed as well
    Send them in there as well so. Play a bit of music for the patients . Do some art for them .
    Same principle no ?

Ah its just nonsense varadkar spouts to fill up time and limit the amount difficult questions an interviewer can ask

+Plays to a certain audience of morons that think everything is simple...the "just do it crew" ..

It does speak to certain misconceptions all right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

I think this is fairly on the money. Schools are a controlled environment but kids are kids. They just want to go over and talk to their friend on the other yard 'for a minute' or 'to tell them something'. It's very important at a young age :-). Kids aren't as aware of the dangers and thankfully aren't stigmatised the way adults would be who didn't follow guidelines in a restaurant for instance.
    amacca wrote: »
    One of the justifications for opening them was they were a controlled environment

Id have to disagree, a lot of classes have 20+ in them and during classes there is a certain amount of control

However at breaks etc its impossible to enforce proper social distancing etc

Kids are kids and will push boundaries, unless there is backup for school management and staff in terms of cobsequences you can apply for repeat non-compliance then kids will continue to be kids and remove masks when playing or when they think they can get away with it/continue to touch each other whether that be mess kicks in the arse, jostling, chasing etc ....this applies particularly to junior lads in a secondary setting im hearing

My guess is its widespread and thats just one issue.....give schools the tools to enforce compliance like rhey should have been givem to enforce discipline for years before this and maybe reopening schools could work to some extent

If some parents knew that little johnny or mary becomes their problem in quick order if they dont do what they are told then they might also do something to change the behaviour

You also need strong personalities in charge that dont take **** as well as proper backup in terms of the rules/regulations etc if the schools are to avoid becoming the centres for more spread of infection imo

As things stand the temptation to sweep things under the carpet is too great and is probably the right decision given the framework schools now operate in......ffs its govt strategy to stymie the flow of information do the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in the system.

That's the disadvantage of gradually removing more and more autonomy from teachers and pitting management and teachers against each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement