Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Jellybear that's a great idea, cool painting
    love the Hamper Idea too

Over the past week I picked up some loungewear for myself over the Christmas 2 sets so far...:D
    some fancy bath stuff for my Pal online she loves her baths for her me time, small bits for himself struggling for ideas on a big present for him,
    I have decided on what I am getting both his sisters so its just a matter of picking them up,

Any idea what dates the full Boots Christmas is online, any idea what dates the Boots advent calendars will appear too please?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am devastated, the main present I had earmarked for the other half....she mentioned in passing yesterday that she doesn't want iX or anything like that.

Back to the drawing board :(

Re kids bike, we were about to start looking for a 9 year old. Earlier posts have me worried we won't be able to get one now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Am devastated, the main present I had earmarked for the other half....she mentioned in passing yesterday that she doesn't want iX or anything like that.

Back to the drawing board :(

Re kids bike, we were about to start looking for a 9 year old. Earlier posts have me worried we won't be able to get one now :(

Never good, however better to hear it now then Christmas eve!

I have only looked in a couple of place so didn't mean to freak anyone out. Also antidotial evidence based on a couple of conversations with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Got a lovely delivery of books this morning from The Works - they've a lot of bundles on offer at the minute - 10 books for £10. I got a Christmas bundle and another bundle, will keep some as presents from the Big Man and some will do as presents for nieces and nephews or later in the year for emergency presents :)

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Got a lovely delivery of books this morning from The Works - they've a lot of bundles on offer at the minute - 10 books for £10. I got a Christmas bundle and another bundle, will keep some as presents from the Big Man and some will do as presents for nieces and nephews or later in the year for emergency presents :)

Got this as well. Lovely books. Going to spread them out over birthdays and Christmas for the three of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    We've been saying that for the last few years, spend the money on the kids etc however every year my wife finds something she 'really' wants :)

You and I have the same problem haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto, the same problem here. I also find, and this is going to sound fake, when I say I only want really thin socks for work and some chocolate coins then that is all I want or need. Really. Its not to save cash or that I am trying to be a stoic or martyr, that's all I want.

*This is year 7 of asking for really thin socks for Christmas. Christmas' past = 6, Pairs of really thin socks = 0.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto, the same problem here. I also find, and this is going to sound fake, when I say I only want really thin socks for work and some chocolate coins then that is all I want or need. Really. Its not to save cash or that I am trying to be a stoic or martyr, that's all I want.

*This is year 7 of asking for really thin socks for Christmas. Christmas' past = 6, Pairs of really thin socks = 0.

Sounds like your other half thinks it's fake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sounds like me, I'm at the stage in my life if i really want something I just go out and get it so when Christmas rocks around theres not a lot I really want (having a realistic budget obviously) so usually ask for something small, but never actually get as herself insists on spending lots more on stuff I don't a)need or b) really want... this year I hope the penny will drop or I may just do what I do for her present, which is let her pick it herself & I just go and pay for it, so if I see something nice when we're out shopping tell her to get me that. I know its not the most romantic or exciting way to get one another presents but I'm genuinely not that fussed and prefer to put my energy into the kids & making it an occasion for them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Very well put DvB, exactly how I feel.

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Sounds like me, I'm at the stage in my life if i really want something I just go out and get it so when Christmas rocks around theres not a lot I really want (having a realistic budget obviously) so usually ask for something small, but never actually get as herself insists on spending lots more on stuff I don't a)need or b) really want... this year I hope the penny will drop or I may just do what I do for her present, which is let her pick it herself & I just go and pay for it, so if I see something nice when we're out shopping tell her to get me that. I know its not the most romantic or exciting way to get one another presents but I'm genuinely not that fussed and prefer to put my energy into the kids & making it an occasion for them.

This.

The last few years we both know what we are getting from each other. I'm useless at picking clothes/make up/girly things in general so always ask her.

I do usually try to get her something small as a surprise. This is usually the most stressful present!!

I do usually try to get her something small as a surprise. This usually the most stressful present!!

Have done this myself & sadly have found more often than not tends to be something she ends up not using/wearing etc. Hence it getting harder every year to even get the simple little surprise right.

Agree, easily the most stressful item to get between now & Dec.25th
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My OH is good at keeping a wish list during the year, if she is still thinking about something for months on end it stays, if not it goes. Mainly yoga stuff. There is of course the obligatory garments present for her that is really for me if you know what I mean.

There is of course the obligatory garments present for her that is really for me if you know what I mean.

Think you'll need to expand on that a tad, pictures would help ;)

There is of course the obligatory garments present for her that is really for me if you know what I mean.

I'm really hoping this is a Homer bowling ball situation and not something best kept to yourself :D

Ordered some Christmas cards from barnardos Ireland still more to purchase

Smiths toys have said they won't be doing their €10 off when you spend €50 this Christnas as they don't want crowds in store given social distancing rules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Smiths toys have said they won't be doing their €10 off when you spend €50 this Christnas as they don't want crowds in store given social distancing rules.

They might do an Online equivalent.

Loughc wrote: »
    They might do an Online equivalent.

Lets hope so.

Have heard of other reasons why they are not doing it!

Have heard of other reasons why they are not doing it!

Stock availability?

• Advertisement

Stock availability?

You should listen to Dermot and Dave’s podcast from last week. They had someone from retail Ireland so explicitly said there wouldn’t be shortage of toys.

Party clothes are in short supply as suppliers stopped ordering as people stopped going out.

Toys will be fine. Gifts in general fine. Food plenty. Going out clothes might not have a great selection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So what you are saying is that they are RUNNING OUT OF TOYS AND WE NEED TO PANIC, is that correct? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that they are RUNNING OUT OF TOYS AND WE NEED TO PANIC, is that correct? :pac:

We’ll have a photo of an old lady in Smyth’s looking at empty shelves!

Stock availability?

From what I heard (second hand) they reckon they will be so busy they dont need to have a sale.

I'd say its basically a business decision that the 20% off sale not be done purely to try & claw back some of the losses incurred earlier in the year due to the store being closed and is based purely on that. Its a given Smyths will be extremely busy between now & christmas and is their peak operating period of the year and if they want to maximise turnover in that period thats simply a business decision and has nothing to do with crowding or stock availability etc. They're easy sounbytes to throw out there but in reality like most business related decisions it'll be economics pure & simple.

DvB wrote: »
    I'd say its basically a business decision that the 20% off sale not be done purely to try & claw back some of the losses incurred earlier in the year due to the store being closed and is based purely on that. Its a given Smyths will be extremely busy between now & christmas and is their peak operating period of the year and if they want to maximise turnover in that period thats simply a business decision and has nothing to do with crowding or stock availability etc. They're easy sounbytes to throw out there but in reality like most business related decisions it'll be economics pure & simple.

This. Absolutely this.

Given I havn't worn socks since March (WFH) Happy Socks have their Christmas socks reduced with free delivery.

Often in TK Maxx for a bit less but you never know when...

https://www.happysocks.com/eu/search?q=christmas

Given I havn't worn socks since March (WFH) Happy Socks have their Christmas socks reduced with free delivery.

Often in TK Maxx for a bit less but you never know when...

https://www.happysocks.com/eu/search?q=christmas

I'm sure they have some thin ones Jude, if you want to drop a hint with the OH :D

I bought some bath bombs as part of other presents from Boots last night
    along with some wellness teas for my pal, she is big into her teas so that will be part of her present

• Advertisement

I am having a successful Rudolph Day shopping, just bought my Christmas bed linen, some hand towels and some spare candles from Irish Retailers
    Woohoo its getting real!

Advertisement