Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bought a car with outstanding finance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

893bet wrote: »
    He is prob not paying two loans. He used your money to buy the other car out right I would assume.

It’s a risky situation all round still for the next 4 years.

I'd say he knows more than he's letting on.
    Fcuk i know it's easy be wise after the event but jesus there were several alarm bells here. I can see why people are so hesitant to buy more expensive cars privately- so much can wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Sorry op but I see so many possibilitys here...

Loses job cant pay loan ..... you lose...
    Loses job goes home ..... you lose....

I'd do my best to get money back or purswade him to pay off loan with the money if he wont give back money to you ...

This is so messy and a lesson to anyone reading this thread to do your homework ....

Good luck op I really hope you get it sorted ....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another angle on this is that if your car is in an accident, it’s the finance company that will get paid in the event of a write off.

Regardless of what the guy says, there is only one solution here, which is the seller paying off the finance.

I’m guessing the cash is long gone and is the deposit on his new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

road_high wrote: »
    I'd say he knows more than he's letting on.
    Fcuk i know it's easy be wise after the event but jesus there were several alarm bells here. I can see why people are so hesitant to buy more expensive cars privately- so much can wrong.

What were the alarm bells? Genuine question. Seller gave his address, buyer chose a Tesco car park, seller gave log book, allowed buyer take photos. Mechanic checked it out, both buyer and mechanic allowed test drive. Seller has family with him.

While there's more the buyer could've done I'm not sure what the buyer did to cause alarm bells, it's up to the buyer to do their checks and this one didn't. From reading the buyers replies it seems more a case of the seller not understanding hire purchase vs a loan rather than trying to con him. Sure he wouldn't have given an address or answered the phone again if that was the case.

All that being said, I'd push for a refund, whatever the sellers intentions now it could be a different story in a few months or years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Another problem would be you are stuck with that car until the final payment is made ,if in 2 years time the car starts giving trouble and you wanted to sell it you can't as you don't own it , one big headache you don't need .

I'd be ringing him again and get his address and drive out to his house to explain it all in person that he wasn't allowed to sell the car .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Another angle on this is that if your car is in an accident, it’s the finance company that will get paid in the event of a write off.

Regardless of what the guy says, there is only one solution here, which is the seller paying off the finance.

I’m guessing the cash is long gone and is the deposit on his new car.

Amen

Going through a write off right now.
    Fine for us but yeah Finance company will be asked for their settlement figure and that will be sent straight to them.

Then you get remainder

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is it wrote: »
    What were the alarm bells? Genuine question. Seller gave his address, buyer chose a Tesco car park, seller gave log book, allowed buyer take photos. Mechanic checked it out, both buyer and mechanic allowed test drive. Seller has family with him.

While there's more the buyer could've done I'm not sure what the buyer did to cause alarm bells, it's up to the buyer to do their checks and this one didn't. From reading the buyers replies it seems more a case of the seller not understanding hire purchase vs a loan rather than trying to con him. Sure he wouldn't have given an address or answered the phone again if that was the case.

All that being said, I'd push for a refund, whatever the sellers intentions now it could be a different story in a few months or years.

they were told there was finance outstanding on the car.

Without sounding racist- that was enough for me...
    Few times our family have bought used privately we got a good feel for who the people were as much as the car itself (one worked for Toyota Ireland, another lives beside Mike Murphy RTE)- it’s easy enough to get a feel for who is bona fide and who isn’t...meeting some foreign guy to buy a used Insignia in a Tesco car park in a strange town...I know hindsight is wonderful but all that would be enough for me to run a bloody mile.

After they bought it they ran the check

Gturek86 wrote: »
    Ok there is some update. I managed to contact the seller. When I was trying to contact him before his phone must have been really switched off. Anyways, gave him a call around 7pm yesterday (Thursday) but talking with him over the phone was a bit of a mess because of his bad english. Apparently he still pays of the loan on the car regularly from what I could understand and also he got another car from the same dealer 2 days prior my purchase. He told this to my brother in law on the day of purchase but I must have missed it. Just today I have confirmed this with my brother in law.
    After they bought it they ran the check

that should have raised alarm bells.

• Advertisement

How the brother in law could miss a clanger like that is beyond me.

Without sounding racist- that was enough for me...
    Few times our family have bought used privately we got a good feel for who the people were as much as the car itself (one worked for Toyota Ireland, another lives beside Mike Murphy RTE)- it’s easy enough to get a feel for who is bona fide and who isn’t...meeting some foreign guy to buy a used Insignia in a Tesco car park in a strange town...I know hindsight is wonderful but all that would be enough for me to run a bloody mile.

"without sounding racist"

That's a bad start. Xenophobic rather than racist.

Anyway, the Insignia was the buyers choice, Tesco was the buyers choice and if we only bought used from our local town we'd never buy anything.

Buyer should've done his checks, that's obvious. Apart from that I don't see any "red flags" that could've warned the buyer what was coming

"without sounding racist"

That's a bad start. Xenophobic rather than racist.

Anyway, the Insignia was the buyers choice, Tesco was the buyers choice and if we only bought used from our local town we'd never buy anything.

Buyer should've done his checks, that's obvious. Apart from that I don't see any "red flags" that could've warned the buyer what was coming

There was lots of them. Paying the guts of 10 grand to a complete stranger you need to know a bit about them as well as the car.
    Opel insignias are two a penny also

There was lots of them. Paying the guts of 10 grand to a complete stranger you need to know a bit about them as well as the car.
    Opel insignias are two a penny also

So every private car bought for €9k+ is a red flag? I haven't a notion what you're talking about now and I don't think you do either, I'll leave it at that.

So every private car bought for €9k+ is a red flag? I haven't a notion what you're talking about now and I don't think you do either, I'll leave it at that.

i will quote it again as you seem to have missed it
    Gturek86 wrote: »
    Ok there is some update. I managed to contact the seller. When I was trying to contact him before his phone must have been really switched off. Anyways, gave him a call around 7pm yesterday (Thursday) but talking with him over the phone was a bit of a mess because of his bad english. Apparently he still pays of the loan on the car regularly from what I could understand and also he got another car from the same dealer 2 days prior my purchase. He told this to my brother in law on the day of purchase but I must have missed it. Just today I have confirmed this with my brother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'm nearly positive that I read about a case similar to this one not too long ago. Surely the finance company would have some sort of clause in their contract to prevent this guy from selling the car without it being paid off? I'd imagine such situations would be covered by their insurance policy if things went sour.

The OP obviously wouldn't have to pay off the debt but I'd imagine the company would still have a charge over the car.

The obvious thing to do would be to get your money back from the seller + hand over the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a dealer selling one with 126k km on it for less then 8k. 2014....

10k very expensive especially private sale...

There is a dealer selling one with 126k km on it for less then 8k. 2014....

10k very expensive especially private sale...

It was an Elite model which is the top spec. Also not sure if the mileage.
    All academic really as this wasn’t the chancers car to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

With all the data protection laws it would need an official Garda request for most to hand over CCTV, especially larger stores I'd imagine

Is there any way you can request CCTV of yourself? Other guy would be in the video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's €15 for a car check to verify no finance outstanding, a tiny fraction of our base price for peace of mind. Perhaps not worth doing on a €2k car.

• Advertisement

Is there any way you can request CCTV of yourself? Other guy would be in the video too.

you can request CCTV of yourself but the faces of everybody else should be blurred out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

that should have raised alarm bells.
    i will quote it again as you seem to have missed it

All after he had bought the car.

wiz569 wrote: »
    All after he had bought the car.

jeez, try reading it again.
    He told this to my brother in law on the day of purchase but I must have missed it. Just today I have confirmed this with my brother in law.

on the day of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

But he has the name, address and phone number of the seller already, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

jeez, try reading it again.

on the day of purchase

Apologies, that part didnt sink in as its too unbelievable for words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Any update OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gturek86

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in posting but the whole car thing was weighting on my mind for the past couple of days now and had forgotten completely about this thread.

So, the case has been resolved peacefully. Because of the trouble in communication with the seller caused by his bad English, this whole thing caused lot of misunderstandings on both parties.

Long story short, the guy already had two cars on finance and wanted to sell one of them (insignia) and pay the remainder of the loan to get another one.

I visited him last Sunday with my brother in law and another guy who speaks Lithuanian. This time the conversation ran a lot smoother. For some reason, in the beginning the seller thought that I wanted to have some sort of insight into the finance of the cars he had taken on finance after selling the insignia. Thankfully that has been resolved. He got an official letter from the bank saying that the finance on insignia has been cleared. Also, like I mentioned before, he was not aware that selling the car still on finance was not legal.

This whole situation probably gave me quite a lot more gray hair than I had before. I realize now that it all could have end up a lot worse. Anyways, thank you all for your insight on the matter and all the help I received from you. I know I made some mistakes but I'll be an experience richer going forward.

Also, some of you were asking why the price of the car was so high. The thing is that this is the most loaded version of the car possible and they are quite hard to find frankly. I've looked into some of these cars in the past few weeks when I was looking for one but most of them had some problems that would need work hours and money invested in them to some degree. Things like tearing leather seats, strong cigarette odour and discoloration of the interior or even mechanical problems. When I was viewing one at a car dealers in Dublin, the car died during test drive,right after "check engine" light came on and the car could not start again ;(. The one I have now has everything in order and was serviced regularly twice a year since new and is indicated in service book. And that wa

I’m afraid your goosed , go to Gardai if u can’t find the seller to see is going to clear the payment.
    It’s fraud wasn’t his car to sell or at least he should have cleared it .
    Hide the car until it’s sorted as the finance crowd will be looking for it in few months!
    Ull have charges extra interest everything he didn’t pay will be added on to it .

Hmm

Can't really hide the car and contact the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Happy that it worked out for you in the end OP. Best of luck with the new car

• Advertisement

Nice to hear it worked out. This thread taught me a lot.

Advertisement