Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

irritating new words

• 19-07-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have noticed recently that some new, and to my mind , irritating, words are becoming increasingly prevalent,. Two examples ---- "get-go" instead of start, and "uptick" instead of increase. I have seen and heard these used on mainstream media now. I cringe when I hear them. :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Aaaaaall the covid ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cancelled

Cancelled is a new word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Cis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have noticed recently that some new, and to my mind , irritating, words are becoming increasingly prevalent,. Two examples ---- "get-go" instead of start, and "uptick" instead of increase. I have seen and heard these used on mainstream media now. I cringe when I hear them. :(

According to Merriam Webster, uptick was recorded in use in the 1950s and get-go in the 1960s. Hardly new! Though I don't dispute their cringeworthiness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hashtag (in its relatively new twitter-like meaning).
    Guesstimate (again, not *new* new).

And I agree with S1ippy, aaaaaaalllll the covid ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

'optics' ....they're usually not good apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Selfie. Sounds so poxy.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Hustings,
    A real Americanism

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

App, too! Too difficult to add a few more letters and say application instead? Oh, and whatever happened to computer programmes? Do computers have only apps, too, now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

GenZ ... I prefer 'snowflakes' instead.

Aaaargh!!! Snowflakes!! (and not the precipitation ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ever heard someone say or type 'from the gecko" rather than 'from the get go'?

Such cringe. It's up there with 'pedal stool' and 'damp squid'

New Home wrote: »
    Aaaargh!!! Snowflakes!! (and not the precipitation ones).

Fecking aye!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Said this before in a similar thread.....Eatery, f***in' aule American bull****.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

J Madone wrote: »
    Hustings,
    A real Americanism

Nope, apparently it dates back to the Vikings in at least the 12th century and was used by Dickins in The Pickwick Papers in the 19th century. Origin of the word explained here.

So the Vikings got to America first and brought their words there with them?!? Shocking! :D

Curate (not new but now used for ****e like ‘a curated wash bag’)

Second wave... sounds like fun, but isn't... :(

Curate

As in, a kind of priest? Or as in curate an exhibition? Neither are new, but if there's another meaning then I stand corrected.

rtron wrote: »
    Does "New normal" really mean "the way things are now, instead of before"?

Yes.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    As in, a kind of priest? Or as in curate an exhibition? Neither are new, but if there's another meaning then I stand corrected.

Yes.

Curate is of course not new but it is now used for ****e like ‘a curated wash bag’

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

'Touch-base'

Curate is of course not new but it is now used for ****e like ‘a curated wash bag’
    Good grief, now I'm sorry I asked... are you serious? Ok, I agree with you.

no.8 wrote: »
    'Touch-base'

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

o1s1n wrote: »

"Here here"

Got that on a whatsapp group the other day, how does one arrive at adulthood and not encounter that written correctly.

(nice reference btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

o1s1n wrote: »

Upsetting the apple tart.
    Hoisted by his own leotard.
    Mute point.
    Excetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Embiggen

KaneToad wrote: »
    Upsetting the apple tart.
    Hoisted by his own leotard.
    Mute point.
    Excetera.

Damn squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Excetera is a true abomination, and so is exasperated, instead of exacerbated. Both are commonly heard on radio nowadays.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Exasperated and exacerbated are two completely separate words with completely different meanings?

One means (loosely) fed up and the other means (loosely) made worse.

I don't think this is a thing.

On the other hand, I am not liking the increasing use of the word "woke" used to describe someone who has been awoken. It should be "awoken". I know it isn't woke to say this but the participles mean something to me. At least I can say they done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Exasperated and exacerbated are two completely separate words with completely different meanings?

One means (loosely) fed up and the other means (loosely) made worse.

I don't think this is a thing.

On the other hand, I am not liking the increasing use of the word "woke" used to describe someone who has been awoken. It should be "awoken". I know it isn't woke to say this but the participles mean something to me. At least I can say they done.

Oh you haven't been listening Hullaballoo, I have heard people saying exasperated when they mean exacerbated, I doubt they are even aware that exacerbated is a word!

I do struggle with the word 'woke' though in the social media sense, its a word that does not mean anything to me, it doesn't inform me.

Advertisement