Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Pulaski

Options
  • 04-06-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭

I think she gets a bad press. Beverly got away with a lot because she was an attractive young one. Not a great actress though. Quite limited. The actress who played Dr Pulaski was better. She was just badly written.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I eventually got to like her.
    It was a bit blatant the way they were trying to emulate the Bones-Spock dynamic with her and Data though.
    Diana Muldaur was also in two TOS eps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Replacement actors never get a fair shake of the stick especially if they are temporary.

Its funny we always forget until we rewatch that season 1 of any show is a growing experience. The actors find the characters and fit into them.

Then we have season 2 where we have an ensemble of actors who know their characters and we know their characters and they fit. Then off to the side this extra who is getting introduced.

I'm sure if we have pulaski for the rest of the show we would have liked her more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, if she'd been given more time, the edges around the character would have been softened. As above, there was definitely an element of recreating Bones in her. A cantankerous, skeptical traditionalist who saw no problem in directly challenging anyone about anything. Over time she probably would have developed a much closer relationship with Data and a strong respectful bond with Picard, while being a mother figure to the rest of the senior staff.

Also zero chance she'd have screwed the ghost of her grandmother's boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rewatching TNG season 1 on Horror channel you forget how bad it is, tasha yar is dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pulaski had potential, it was a shame she was dropped for Crusher's return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    Pulaski had potential, it was a shame she was dropped for Crusher's return.

I could never warm to warm to her myself. I never liked the way she spoke or acted to Data. Surely in the 24th century working with and around robots would be normal. Maybe if she had of been there longer I might have warmed to her. One idea that they missed out on do and might have worked was to keep Pulaski and bring Dr Crusher back. Have two Doctor but only one would be the Chief Medical Doctor.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    I could never warm to warm to her myself. I never liked the way she spoke or acted to Data. Surely in the 24th century working with and around robots would be normal. Maybe if she had of been there longer I might have warmed to her. One idea that they missed out on do and might have worked was to keep Pulaski and bring Dr Crusher back. Have two Doctor but only one would be the Chief Medical Doctor.

Yeah as said it was to ape the Bones/Spock relationship, but they didn't quite pull it off and Pulaski came out looking worse for it. I think near the end of S2 she had a more open mind towards Data. She had bags more personality and potential than Crusher did imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm too lazy to Google, and I've never seen it clarified: why was Pulaski dropped? Was it just the bad reaction from the shows audience or was it more behind-the-scenes shenanigans that dogged the first 2 seasons?

In principal, Pulaski was a good move to introduce something a little feistier in the crew dynamic, even if it hewed quite close to McCoy's own persona. From what I remember though, Diana Muldaur was a much better actor than Gates McFadden; to be charitable, maybe the latter just had a blander, more dramatically inert character to work with but often she just seemed out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As someone who only watched episodes every now and again, I only recently looked up to see why the doctors seemed to keep changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

She was a better actress. Pulaski. Crusher was pretty bad and couldn't even bring herself to sleep with Picard. After all he did for her !?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would have liked to have seen where they would have gone with Pulaski's character alright. Definitely a lot more to work with than with Crusher. I remember how punchable Julian Bashir was in season 1 of DS9 and he grew to be quite a likeable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stark wrote: »
    Would have liked to have seen where they would have gone with Pulaski's character alright. Definitely a lot more to work with than with Crusher. I remember how punchable Julian Bashir was in season 1 of DS9 and he grew to be quite a likeable character.

Not sure if there was quite the same potential there... Bashir was supposed to be a wide eyed youth on his first real assignment.
    Pulaski was middle aged, should have been a formed character.

Compare say, the popularity of later additions to the crew such as Barclay, Ro Laren & O'Brien... I don't know if Pulaski had that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Pulaski was a fox in the TOS days. Beverley was super foxy in season 1 but something changed with her in season 3 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not sure if there was quite the same potential there... Bashir was supposed to be a wide eyed youth on his first real assignment.

Compare say, the popularity of later additions to the crew such as Barclay, Ro Laren & O'Brien... I don't know if Pulaski had that.

Well early Picard was also quite unlikeable so not sure I buy the "too old to change" argument.

Stark wrote: »
    Well early Picard was also quite unlikeable so not sure I buy the "too old to change" argument.

Pulaski was too old to change to the extent Bashir did, for it to be in a believable manner i.e. the character maturing versus previous inadequate or inconsistent character development.
    But with more character development her character could have been rounded out - sure.

And I didn't think Picard was unlikeable...
    There was a general stiffness in early TNG with the characters - thought it was more a general thing for that season than anything unlikeable in the characters themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

O’Brien was in the first episode of TNG. He’s been there since the beginning. ;)

I recently read that he is second on the list of being in the most Star Trek episodes. Michael Dorn is first with 282 appearances. You’d have to think that won’t be broken with shows only being about 10 episodes per season these days. Don’t think Patrick Stewart is anywhere close to catching Michael Dorn.

GSPfan wrote: »
    O’Brien was in the first episode of TNG. He’s been there since the beginning. ;)
    I recently read that he is second on the list of being in the most Star Trek episodes. Michael Dorn is first with 282 appearances. You’d have to think that won’t be broken with shows only being about 10 episodes per season these days. Don’t think Patrick Stewart is anywhere close to catching Michael Dorn.

They only count from when he got a name... imo... being pedantic about it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

They only count from when he got a name... imo... being pedantic about it ��

On the other hand, when they look back at ep 1 in "All Good Things..." it is defo O'Brien.

On the other hand, when they look back at ep 1 in "All Good Things..." it is defo O'Brien.

In the Star Trek universe, yep it's O'Brien but I think the clock only started ticking on him as a character with the writers in Season 4... when he got a first name and his rank of 'Chief' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dr Pulaski only had one season but she showed more character development and growth than Crusher in six.

She was abrasive and rude to Data then she eventually respected him and even encouraged him to learn/grow. Even showed concern when Data was sulking in his quarters.

She was unprofessional to Picard initially but soon worked it out.

She had a strong personality, and wouldn't have sex with a candle ghost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement