Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 05-10-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Well CBS released a trailer for Discovery season 3 at New York Comic Con but its not yet available this side of the bond yet. Maybe Netfliks will have one out in the next few days.
    They also released some Short Trek trailers which are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexZWZN_-pA

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reading between the lines, looks like my theory might be right: this is future where the Federation is a memory in an otherwise broken galaxy. The Discovery then acting as a unifying force (basically cribbing Andromeda, Rodenberrys own old idea).

Looks like Burnham remains the centre of the narrative universe so ... yay? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:eek: Lurians can run? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Interesting trailer. Andorians and Trill all looking less than happy. It's still hard to read the premise, aside from the time setting.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, looks like my theory might be right: this is future where the Federation is a memory in an otherwise broken galaxy. The Discovery then acting as a unifying force (basically cribbing Andromeda, Rodenberrys own old idea).

Looks like Burnham remains the centre of the narrative universe so ... yay? :(

Looks like it... though perhaps they're picking up on Calypso... the Federation is not gone as such, but evolved into the less benign "V'draysh". Discovery has such a quasi-anthology vibe, that might be the theme for this season, after which they go do something completely different. Hunt dinosaurs 100 million years in the past or something.

I like it, but it is an odd show in a lot of ways.

Based on the costume design of the people who have captured the Discovery, I'm guessing there's either Mirror Universe involvement or.. some kind of shout-out to the Star Trek Enterprise era Starfleet. Their uniforms kinda looks like a cross between Mirror Universe DS9 Bajoran and Star Trek Enterprise era Starfleet.

• Advertisement

The video app on the Star Trek website is infuriating. Either it's bugged to hell or they've deliberately blocked freeze-frame on certain parts of the trailer.

I spotted Trill, Cardassian, Lurian as well as the Andorians.

Either it's bugged to hell or they've deliberately blocked freeze-frame on certain parts of the trailer.

Yeah it's wierd how they set it up.

The web browser has to:
    1. Get the link for the streaming playlist
    2. From the playlist, pick the video quality it wants to use (like 1080p)
    3. Get the Audio file for that video quality
    4. Get the Video file for that video quality
    5. Join the Video and Audio up together
    6. Show the combined AudioVisual experience

It looks like they put a lot into that but not into the player software.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So Burnham is still the centre of the universe and still as wooden as ever.

Federation flag looks to have a lot less members (unless this is deliberately different).

Still looks to be carrying the same flaws as previous seasons. At least Picard seems to be doing things right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Still looks to be carrying the same flaws as previous seasons. At least Picard seems to be doing things right

Very much agreed. I know it's hard to tell by a few seconds of trailer footage, but I still haven't mustered up the desire to re-watch S2 given how disappointing I found the writing. I still believe the show has big potential, but until it finds some stability, and stops seemingly changing hands/rebooting after every season, I'll continue to feel a bit jaded by it. This feels like attempt #3 to get it right. In the hands of a competent and stable writing team, the show could have been so much better. At the moment for me, it sits firmly at the bottom of the pile of ST shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see two probable arcs: either Discovery is to be the glue that reforms the broken Federation (the flag with reduced stars a strong clue that), or else the ship is in a possible timeline, one where it turns out Discovery played a pivotal role in the past, necessitating a return. My bets are on the former as IMO it offers a more interesting (if blatantly cribbed) story while sidestepping the issues of redundancy with a prequel story.

I'm quite optimistic here TBH, despite the nods to more Burnham centric stuff. Flinging the Discovery into the deep future is a potentially brave, interesting avenue and one never visited properly before in a Trek show. It unencumbers the show from prequel canon and arguably, finally lets the show do its own thing.

On more trivial matters I hope Burnham sticks with the longer hair, looks better than that weird monolith 'fro from the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I will watch this to see where it goes but like everyone else I still think just having Burnham as the main character to the stories is not working and that they need to give the other characters more involvement. I do not think there was not much in that trailer really and the Picard trailer's have been much better but am willing to give both shows a chance especially now that Discovery is going to be set so far in the future which is where it should have been set in the first place.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I see two probable arcs: either Discovery is to be the glue that reforms the broken Federation (the flag with reduced stars a strong clue that), or else the ship is in a possible timeline, one where it turns out Discovery played a pivotal role in the past, necessitating a return. My bets are on the former as IMO it offers a more interesting (if blatantly cribbed) story while sidestepping the issues of redundancy with a prequel story.

I'm quite optimistic here TBH, despite the nods to more Burnham centric stuff. Flinging the Discovery into the deep future is a potentially brave, interesting avenue and one never visited properly before in a Trek show. It unencumbers the show from prequel canon and arguably, finally lets the show do its own thing.

On more trivial matters I hope Burnham sticks with the longer hair, looks better than that weird monolith 'fro from the last 2 years.

Yeah Burnham being the saviour of every situation is tiring, but I am very excited by the premise. The rebuilding of the Federation is a very strong storyline that could last numerous seasons. We can clearly see Trill and their symbiote pools as well as many other notable species (including Lurians!).

I would be stunned if they returned to the present. In fact, if they do, I'd be downright disappointed.

I'd like it if they return instead to the 25th century, run contemporary with Picard.

The first lines of the trailer suggest that Burnham has spent some time trying to figure out what events in the past (the first domino as she puts it) lead to the current outcome for the Federation. But that statement might just be the preamble to "we can't fix the past", rather echoing Picard too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I suspect just about all the footage seen was from the first episode, so I'm doubtful it's too reflective of the entire series arc, given that the first two series took fairly different directions in their latter halves.

I'm fairly confident we'll see them sent back in time to right whatever mistake it was started the Federation on its death spiral.

Spear wrote: »
    I suspect just about all the footage seen was from the first episode, so I'm doubtful it's too reflective of the entire series arc, given that the first two series took fairly different directions in their latter halves.

I'm fairly confident we'll see them sent back in time to right whatever mistake it was started the Federation on its death spiral.

That's very true, a lot of TV trailers tend to be made from the first couple of episodes, often because they're the only ones fully complete. I'd be surprised though if Discovery returns to its present timeline, this feels like a concerted attempt to decouple itself from prequel redundancy, as well as the constant backlash over dicking with the canon.

Ms

I really think if Discovery is going to survive as a series there is two things they need to do and one not to do.

1st) They need to get away from all the stories centering around Burnham and her always being the hero its old now and has not worked,

2nd) They need to stay where they are in the future now as going back to a past point will just ruin it and only put people off it more.

The one not to do is basically the same as my second point just said another way. They should not have Discovery come back from the future to a past point as this will just put people off. Where they are now they have free reign and can do whatever they like but they really need to get the character development going as its bad that after two seasons most of us only know one or two characters in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

A resounding meh.

A few non arc episodes could go a long way to fixing STD, take a break and have some non-Burnham (or Tilly) characters go have holodeck shenanigans or whatever.

Is the Spore Drive still a thing? Maybe they could get around the galaxy a bit more.

The search for the pivotal moment Bunha's looking for would take about 3 seconds with a 29th century timeship's sensors but I doubt they'll be brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

AMKC wrote: »
    1st) They need to get away from all the stories centering around Burnham and her always being the hero its old now and has not worked,

2nd) They need to stay where they are in the future now as going back to a past point will just ruin it and only put people off it more.

1) Completely agree here. Can't help but wonder what kind of contract Martin-Green has for Discovery. If the terms of the original contract count for 3 or more seasons, then my gut tells me that there is some kind of clause in her contract compels the writers to put focus on her character. If my gut's thoery has any basis in reality, then Michael will save the universe yet again, and will do so in every season until the show ends, or until the contract is modified.

2) Total agree. I feel that this is the only hope Discovery has left to survive into a 4th Season and beyond. Messing around with established Trek history is very poloreising and if they can just move the story forward then things might actually get interesting.

Stay in the future and respect the established lore of Star Trek and if at all possible drop Michael. Then you're onto a winner I feel.

A trailer for the new run of Short Treks was also released by the way, for those wanting more Spock:

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1180540846363402240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i seem to remember reading that Riker would not show up till Ep04 so if true they went further into the run that most new shows with debut trailers.

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    i seem to remember reading that Riker would not show up till Ep04 so if true they went further into the run that most new shows with debut trailers.

That's the full trailer for Picard, as opposed to the teaser for Discovery.

Ms

BrookieD wrote: »

I think you have the wrong show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A trailer for the new run of Short Treks was also released by the way, for those wanting more Spock:

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1180540846363402240

So judging from the Twitter comments, I'm not the only one who thought he sounded more like Sheldon than Spock :)

Stark wrote: »
    So judging from the Twitter comments, I'm not the only one who thought he sounded more like Sheldon than Spock :)

I don't get the reactions. His character is different to what we know from TOS and later, but I expected it to be, to slot in with his depiction in the first pilot and thereby appease the very canon-nerds who are now having yet another hissy fit.

The guy who voices Archer.. in the Archer animated show (not Enterprise):
    https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1181615384585109504

Man, I'd love a series on the Enterprise, this will have to do. For all the moaning over prequels, who knew the most desired spin-off would be a Pike-led Enterprise show? :D

Apparently the first two Short Treks have been released. Not sure when / if they'll pop up on Netflix but ... well, you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The first two shorts with Pike make me just want him to have his own show even more - he just fits in to the role perfectly, even Number 1 just feels natural

And the tribbles episode is funny (make sure to watch til the end)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah there is a post credits scene.
    They're clearly having fun with the new Short Treks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah there is a post credits scene.
    They're clearly having fun with the new Short Treks.

And pause to read the sub text!

Advertisement