Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Killinator wrote: »
    You don't get issued/given anything on the roadside. You don't 'get' anything there and then.

Nothing happens until the garda applies for the FCN to be created.
    That can be either at the roadside via the new mobility app or back at the station but either way it's not like a council sticking a parking ticket to your windscreen. You'll only find out a) if the garda outright tells you you're going to get a ticket or b) it arrives in the post some time afterwards

Exactly....

I had it years back the Garda pulled me over out of a pack of 6 cars, I wasn't doing the speed he claimed and I fought it in court.

He said to me a look do t worry about it it's onlyafew km over. He put down 82in a 60 and I wasn't even doing 68.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I understand that if they have actually gunned you and spoken to you then you've been done for all intents and purposes.

At least in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I was told points and fine in the post. But there was no wondering whether I was being left off either before he said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

I understand that if they have actually gunned you and spoken to you then you've been done for all intents and purposes.

At least in recent years.

No, there is still discretion available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RxinMxn

Hey, I was going ~56 in a ~50 and was pulled over. The Garda checked my discs and asked where I was coming from and for my license. After this he just said "thanks have a good night" and left. I'm wondering does a Garda have to state that I was pulled for speeding or have I just been caught?

• Advertisement

RxinMxn wrote: »
    Hey, I was going ~56 in a ~50 and was pulled over. The Garda checked my discs and asked where I was coming from and for my license. After this he just said "thanks have a good night" and left. I'm wondering does a Garda have to state that I was pulled for speeding or have I just been caught?

It's most likely alright, but most of them to save confrontation will be all nice and you could well get fine in the post.....

Makes sense, you drive on, they get zero abuse and drive on.

It's most likely alright, but most of them to save confrontation will be all nice and you could well get fine in the post.....

Makes sense, you drive on, they get zero abuse and drive on.

That's what I was thinking buy I'm a fairly polite guy. I pulled over, turned on my cabin light and wound the window the full way down. I was only maybe a kilometre away from my house which is where I said I was coming from. I'd be much more at ease just knowing 😬

That's what I was thinking buy I'm a fairly polite guy. I pulled over, turned on my cabin light and wound the window the full way down. I was only maybe a kilometre away from my house which is where I said I was coming from. I'd be much more at ease just knowing 😬

You're watching way too much American TV ;-)

Did you keep your hands on the wheel at all times...

What did they say.... Either way you couget fine but maybe not, he pulled you for a reason, I'm by no way saying they all bad either.... Was let off a few times

You're watching way too much American TV ;-)

Did you keep your hands on the wheel at all times...

What did they say.... Either way you couget fine but maybe not, he pulled you for a reason, I'm by no way saying they all bad either.... Was let off a few times

Had my hand on my gun the whole time!

They just asked where I was coming from, which was just down the road. Then asked for licence, had a quick glance, then just said 'thanks have a good night'

They just asked where I was coming from, which was just down the road. Then asked for licence, had a quick glance, then just said 'thanks have a good night'

Most likely fine... As in ya be grand

• Advertisement

It may not have been in relation to speed at all. Something about that car may have raised suspicion, (time of night, type of car, occupants, seen before, etc...) Maybe they were just verifying who you were

If they didn't even mention speed then you're likely fine.

Killinator wrote: »
    It may not have been in relation to speed at all. Something about that car may have raised suspicion, (time of night, type of car, occupants, seen before, etc...) Maybe they were just verifying who you were

If they didn't even mention speed then you're likely fine.

It's a sporty enough looking car with a roof rack for bikes so hopefully they just realised that it was a work horse. It was near midnight as well. Fingers crossed 🀞

It's a sporty enough looking car with a roof rack for bikes so hopefully they just realised that it was a work horse. It was near midnight as well. Fingers crossed 🀞

Could be as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DustPan12

Hi all,

I believe I may have possibly been caught speeding eveeeeeer so slightly last Tuesday 01/06. I’m wondering if I’ve been caught approx how long does it take for the fine to come in the post?

So far I’ve read 1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months and 6 months. Any clarification would be massively appreciated! :D

DustPan12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I believe I may have possibly been caught speeding eveeeeeer so slightly last Tuesday 01/06. I’m wondering if I’ve been caught approx how long does it take for the fine to come in the post?

So far I’ve read 1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months and 6 months. Any clarification would be massively appreciated! :D

Could be 2 weeks, could be more, nobody can answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DustPan12

The luck of the draw then.. Oh well, here’s hoping I haven’t been caught! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How far away to or from a speed van can you be recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

How far away to or from a speed van can you be recorded?

it's fairly close but depends on how wide the road is and what sort of position the van was.

if they are up high on one of those bits to the side of the dual carriageway/ motorway then that's probably their longest distance

right on the side of a 2 lane road you'd want to be right up at them to the point you'd need to be not looking or think it's a different speed limit to be caught

50-70metres around

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

What address do they use to send tickets? Motor tax? Licence? Registration?

Edit: A previous post says it is the address the car is registered to. Is that correct?

• Advertisement

grassylawn wrote: »
    What address do they use to send tickets? Motor tax? Licence? Registration?

Edit: A previous post says it is the address the car is registered to. Is that correct?

Yes unless you are stopped and give the correct address if changed, so for example car is registered at 123 fake street.... This is where the fine goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Can you call the Fixed Charge Processing Office and ask if you have been issued a ticket?

grassylawn wrote: »
    Can you call the Fixed Charge Processing Office and ask if you have been issued a ticket?

They won't tell

Yes unless you are stopped and give the correct address if changed, so for example car is registered at 123 fake street.... This is where the fine goes.

When it gets to 123 fake street, the post man will:
    A) return it as 'person not known at address/address non existent' and it gets sent to local garda station to ascertain the correct location for service within time period

Or

B) puts it through letter box, fine goes unpaid and summons issued. Gardai knock at 123 fake street, find out such and such is not there and then proceed to try and find correct address before court date otherwise it'll be struck out and summons reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

I was nearly on top of one before i slowed down maybe 50 meters and I didnt get a ticket.

The_Kitty wrote: »

I was nearly on top of one before i slowed down maybe 50 meters and I didnt get a ticket.

Which I answered previous of you look back a few posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

Do the guards use the Hyundai Tucson as a speed van?

ofcork wrote: »
    Do the guards use the Hyundai Tucson as a speed van?

As a speed van(gatso) no.....

To catch speeders yes, yes they do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

Catch as in come after you.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Catch as in come after you.

Not necessarily....

Their new equipment can save the speed and pictures of the offences.....

If you look at twitter they are the new gun type and a binoculars type.

They tend to still go after though usually to be sure they get the actual driver.

Advertisement