Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

By 2018's standards, Discovery's political values are standard centrist-liberal stuff that even centre-right politicians profess. That's actually my big problem with the show. They've totally rowed back on the radical utopian ideas.

And yet- in the US most especially- it seems liberal society is rowing back, so I do wonder if Discovery will seem as meek in context when we look in retrospect.

I agree though, they're quite late to the game with matter-of-fact depiction of LGB people (but notably not TI). They've not really touched the trans question except metaphorically (maybe). For such a mainstream and big budget show, I guess that topic would take a lot of courage. It would also absolutely trigger the Star Trek fans who missed the subtext when they were kids. They should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

The best concept for a Picard show that I can think of is one covering his diplomatic career as Admiral or Ambassador. Picard and a small core staff, always on the move, mission arcs over several episodes, different planets, different host ships. Lots of room for thoughtful stories as well as action and drama. There might be an Enterprise arc, and cameos from familiar faces, but not restricting the story to one planet or station. I can't imagine Picard would ever retire to stay in one place anyway.

I can't see it being like that at all. I feel the scope is going to be very small, so small in fact that Jean Luc won't/can't be an Admiral or Ambassador...it's too predictable. I feel it'll very much mirror Kirk's story in Generations....a legendary figure, but out of time, not up to much, except for one final adventure (for Kirk it was a mere fist fight with a man on a bridge...but once again, he 'made a difference.')

Picard's journey will be similar I feel...it might open with him tending to the family vineyard in La Barre. From there, it'll give some backstory, maybe Picard settled down with a wife & kids, the wife has since passed on, & the kids have flown the coup. He'll be a lonely man, but proud of his kids, and a man who very much misses his wife. From there, we'll see a cameo, Riker possibly, or Worf...and after some resistance from Picard, he'll be drawn into a final adventure, whatever that may be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A few random thoughts.

There's no scripts done, that's been admitted openly.

But there must be a pitch or underlying concept strong enough to get Stewart back on board. Now, the pitch could have consisted of a shedload of money. CBS want year round Trek to sell their streaming service that no-one actually wants, so throwing money at him is very possible. But I'd like to think that Stewart is both old enough and successful enough that he wouldn't do it for the money.

At 78 he's not likely to commit to a lengthy series either.

So I'm inclined to suspect the pitch that got him to agree to this, is one that concludes the character of Picard, and we'll see him die at the end. And as previously suggested earlier in the thread, we're getting Logan in Space.

Inviere wrote: »
    I can't see it being like that at all. I feel the scope is going to be very small, so small in fact that Jean Luc won't/can't be an Admiral or Ambassador...it's too predictable. I feel it'll very much mirror Kirk's story in Generations....a legendary figure, but out of time, not up to much, except for one final adventure (for Kirk it was a mere fist fight with a man on a bridge...but once again, he 'made a difference.')

Picard's journey will be similar I feel...it might open with him tending to the family vineyard in La Barre. From there, it'll give some backstory, maybe Picard settled down with a wife & kids, the wife has since passed on, & the kids have flown the coup. He'll be a lonely man, but proud of his kids, and a man who very much misses his wife. From there, we'll see a cameo, Riker possibly, or Worf...and after some resistance from Picard, he'll be drawn into a final adventure, whatever that may be.

You get the sense maybe it'll be a short-run show? One story over a handful of parts? What leads you to that thinking? Just Stewart's age?

My premise probably pretty predictable, but I think "back from retirement for one last adventure" is equally so ;)

Spear wrote: »
    A few random thoughts.

There's no scripts done, that's been admitted openly.

But there must be a pitch or underlying concept strong enough to get Stewart back on board. Now, the pitch could have consisted of a shedload of money. CBS want year round Trek to sell their streaming service that no-one actually wants, so throwing money at him is very possible. But I'd like to think that Stewart is both old enough and successful enough that he wouldn't do it for the money.

At 78 he's not likely to commit to a lengthy series either.

So I'm inclined to suspect the pitch that got him to agree to this, is one that concludes the character of Picard, and we'll see him die at the end. And as previously suggested earlier in the thread, we're getting Logan in Space.

He'll become Q at the end

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I kinda like that, things coming full circle. But Sisko beat him to godhood already.

You get the sense maybe it'll be a short-run show? One story over a handful of parts? What leads you to that thinking? Just Stewart's age?

I feel it'll be one story over a handful of episodes yes, because they're not seeking to reboot TNG...it's simply and likely the conclusion to Picards story. It's not going to be a dragged out season because it doesn't need to be. It'll be its own story, short, sweet, and hopefully very rich in quality.
    My premise probably pretty predictable, but I think "back from retirement for one last adventure" is equally so ;)

Oh they're both predictable, that's for sure :D I think the 'one last adventure' one is more likely though, as otherwise, what's the point of revisiting the character at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Evade wrote: »
    It is big but they have communicators. If a retired Picard needed something he could call in a favour from Admiral Riker. If he's teaching at the Academy with O'Brien should they just ghost each other in the hallways?

Other cameos would make less sense. There's no reason for Picard to call on say Seven or Dax. Then again who knows what happened in the preceding 20 years? Sisko could even be alive again.

You mean Sisko's wife, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Or he is already Q.

Maybe Q is humanity in the far, far future.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Mirror universe setting with Emperor Picard - nah no hope

would love to see him little harder edge admiral after a series of battles with a run down stretched federation, will be a great excuse to see NCC 1701-G used as the flagship in rebuilding the links with foes in the past against common enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Or he is already Q.

Maybe Q is humanity in the far, far future.

I have seen theories about the Q being that alright after we have all got super smart and ascended maybe.
    BrookieD wrote: »
    Mirror universe setting with Emperor Picard - nah no hope

would love to see him little harder edge admiral after a series of battles with a run down stretched federation, will be a great excuse to see NCC 1701-G used as the flagship in rebuilding the links with foes in the past against common enemy.

Surely it would be the Enterprise NCC-1701-F if we do see one at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think we should give ships named Enterprise a rest.

How about Stargazer NCC 2893-A

I think we should give ships named Enterprise a rest.

How about Stargazer NCC 2893-A

We haven't had a new Enterprise on TV in 13 years!

TBH, I wouldn't be entirely happy unless they contrived to resurrect Ent-D. It would require some sort of abominably crappy sci-fi plot device, but I just don't care.

We haven't had a new Enterprise on TV in 13 years!

TBH, I wouldn't be entirely happy unless they contrived to resurrect Ent-D. It would require some sort of abominably crappy sci-fi plot device, but I just don't care.

Ah. Ive been playing STO. Been dealing with thr Enterprise F and J.

Also we have a remodeled Enterprise for Discovery and the Sports car version in the JJverse

Ah. Ive been playing STO. Been dealing with thr Enterprise F and J.

I can only see canon. The first part of your post seems to have been redacted.
    Also we have a remodeled Enterprise for Discovery and the Sports car version in the JJverse

I have to squint to see the second bit there... something about a sports car.

Anyway yes, a few cosmetic enhancements on Discovery don't make for a new Enterprise. I want a shiny new Enterprise with a shiny new crew. One so diverse and right-on that their very existence causes a tsunami of the shrill SJWSnowflakeLibtard commentary that nourishes my soul.

Star Trek: Picard could act as a nice backdoor pilot for a new flagship series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Great news, whilst so many plots and cameos are an option the one cameo I would really like to see is John de Lancie, for me that would be the icing on the cake, even in his old age Picard being tormented by Q.....

Didn't Q once say he never got tired of playing games.

GM228 wrote: »
    Didn't Q once say he never got tired of playing games.

And that, "the trial never ends..." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

AMKC wrote: »

The way I see it E was mangled 20 years ago, even if the Saucer section was repaired - launch F after that and you have a 10yr old ship with zero action is ok however flag bearer of the federation will have serious milage under her - so G would be the next best option, and if they try push J onto us I will eat someone's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

BrookieD wrote: »
    The way I see it E was mangled 20 years ago, even if the Saucer section was repaired - launch F after that and you have a 10yr old ship with zero action is ok however flag bearer of the federation will have serious milage under her - so G would be the next best option, and if they try push J onto us I will eat someone's head.
    There's always special dispensation from the Chief of Starfleet Operations to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Evade wrote: »
    There's always special dispensation from the Chief of Starfleet Operations to consider.

Yes! How about we consider the USS Yamato. Oh wait..

I know! How about the USS Odyssey..:pac::pac:

I do like the idea of something like the USS Challenger, Venture or even the Galaxy being brought into view. Mem Alpha says theyre active following the Dominion War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Unless they use that expensive de-aging CGI seen in some Marvel films, Data / B4 is pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

I always hear people say this and I don't get it. Spiner has said so himself but I think he just says that because he doesn't want to go back to the character.

Why could you not just have an aged Data? You could explain it away in a 30 second scene.

We are on the bridge. Data comes onto the bridge with a massive white beard and wrinkled face looking about 120. Picard or whoever looks aghast at him and asks what is going on. Data explains he is experimenting with aging his skin in his quest to become more human. Picard says he admires the effort but suggests he dial it back a bit.

Boom. Done. A chuckle is had and in the following scene, we see Data as Brent Spiner is now. A bit fatter and wrinklier but it has logical consistency within the universe being explained as Data wanting to "age" like the rest of the crew.

Honestly if I can come up with that in 30 seconds, imagine what an actually talented writer could do. There is NOTHING stopping Data from returning only Brent Spiner's desire to do so.

Kirby wrote: »
    I always hear people say this and I don't get it. Spiner has said so himself but I think he just says that because he doesn't want to go back to the character.

Why could you not just have an aged Data? You could explain it away in a 30 second scene.

We are on the bridge. Data comes onto the bridge with a massive white beard and wrinkled face looking about 120. Picard or whoever looks aghast at him and asks what is going on. Data explains he is experimenting with aging his skin in his quest to become more human. Picard says he admires the effort but suggests he dial it back a bit.

Boom. Done. A chuckle is had and in the following scene, we see Data as Brent Spiner is now. A bit fatter and wrinklier but it has logical consistency within the universe being explained as Data wanting to "age" like the rest of the crew.

Honestly if I can come up with that in 30 seconds, imagine what an actually talented writer could do. There is NOTHING stopping Data from returning only Brent Spiner's desire to do so.

Talented??
    Kurtzman

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

While not strictly canon, Enterprise F was launched in 2409.
    AMKC wrote: »

1000?cb=20120204120245

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ Holy god that thing's ugly. Why are so many TNG era vessels so lumpy and messy? But then I thought the USS Reliant was a beautiful design, what do I know :D

That's one of the prettier STO ships, there are some real shockers

latest?cb=20100422155408

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

latest?cb=20100422155408
    And I thought the Crossfield class looked bad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Star Trek Online's idea of ships was take any nacelle from any ship, and stick if on any saucer from any ship. Add some stripes, and boom...new ship. To be fair, some of them were actually pretty cool.

As for this, not sure where they should go with it tbh. All Good Things was the perfect send off for the show, but the films definitely didn't do a huge amount. No reason why Picard woulnd't still be a captaining a ship either, if he chose to remain on one. I'm pretty sure he can do whatever the hell he wants, given how respected he was.

Have a new ship, with a new crew, but have Picard be the Admiral Nechayev type character. Still in command of a ship, but not the primary focus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

latest?cb=20100422155408

It actually looks like a copyright-skirting ship, made by some thankless CGI house trying their best to knock out a ST clone without getting sued, or any design concepts to work off.

You personal mileage may vary with the USS Discovery, but at least that class of ship feels like it was actually designed and crafted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    You personal mileage may vary with the USS Discovery, but at least that class of ship feels like it was actually designed and crafted.

The Discovery looks like it was designed by someone with no depth perception. It's a horrible looking ship.

Definitely can't be considered copied from anywhere though :pac:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It actually looks like a copyright-skirting ship, made by some thankless CGI house trying their best to knock out a ST clone without getting sued, or any design concepts to work off.

funny thing is the game has full copyright too and the above is supposed to just be an evolution of steamrunner (which is in there too)

check out the ugly:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sto+fed+ships&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj92JK9y9_cAhXFVLwKHfeFDPwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=938

/sidetrack

Advertisement