Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I’m currently watching/reading/listening to?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I got the Bill Clinton and James Paterson book “The President is Missing” as a Christmas present and I’ve started reading it.

A very good read so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Currently listening to Joe Duffy's Christmas Eve show live from Grafton Street on my phone, streaming it from the RTE website on my phone.

It's giving me the warm fuzzy feeling listening to it... almost feels like being back at the start of the Christmas Holidays.

Listened to a good few podcasts today in work, the best being the Christmas Tips Joe Duffy show, where people ring in with Christmas cooking tips.

Essential listening for anyone planning on hosting for Christmas 2019. Give it a listen and pop all useful ideas into a notepad or on your phone as you listen to it and you'll be good to go! :)

I love the RTE podcast specials at Christmas time but I never get time to listen to them until now! Same thing happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Just watched Journey Back to Christmas, a Hallmark film - heartwarming.

"No longer available" came up.. .copyright issue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Loughc wrote: »
    I got the Bill Clinton and James Paterson book “The President is Missing” as a Christmas present and I’ve started reading it.

A very good read so far.

I read that before Christmas, I would describe it as a poolside read. If it was a Russian president it would be mocked for propaganda. Still passes the time.

I'm on a bit of Ranulph Fiennes theme. I re-read The Feathermen, very good book. I am now on The Secret Hunters which is average. Before that I read many on Shackleton / Scott adventures.

I have a QI book lined up that I am looking forward to.

• Advertisement

Finished Dirty John last week and started making my way through Russian Doll on Netflix.

Dirty John was very good, while Russian Doll is only ok, the episodes are short so that helps.

Any good series recommendations? We're struggling for a dinner time show to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Finished Dirty John last week and started making my way through Russian Doll on Netflix.

Dirty John was very good, while Russian Doll is only ok, the episodes are short so that helps.

Is dirty John the one with Connie Britton? My Mrs was talking about starting to watch that over the weekend. I take it based on your comment above its worth a watch?

We pretty much watch everything with Connie Britton anyway, Friday Night Lights & Nashville got full viewing in our house.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Is dirty John the one with Connie Britton? My Mrs was talking about starting to watch that over the weekend. I take it based on your comment above its worth a watch?

We pretty much watch everything with Connie Britton anyway, Friday Night Lights & Nashville got full viewing in our house.

Season One of 911 also stars Connie Britton and it is also worth a watch.

Dirty John is definitely worth a watch.

Dirty John is definitely worth a watch.

Started watching this late night after the kids went to bed. We ended up watching the first 3 episodes we got that engrossed!! Couldn't believe its based on a true story!!:eek:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I am enjoying Shetland (BBC pace) and just started Das Boot (loved the original movie and watched it several times).

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Started watching this late night after the kids went to bed. We ended up watching the first 3 episodes we got that engrossed!! Couldn't believe its based on a true story!!:eek:

There’s a documentary on Netflix about Dirty John too it’s not an essential watch but what you do gain from it is just how accurate the series was.

I had to give up on the Secret Hunters, about tracking down nazis, as life it too short. I hate doing that but I read for entertainment and it was not fulfilling that requirement. I usually have a few books on the go at once. The usual set up is: One is purely entertainment, one is trash, one is informative, one is about a subject I don't like but should know about.

The Current line up:
    The Stand - Stephen King (extended edition) its bloody long, slow, but just about keeps me going. This is my go too.
    Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past - David Reich - Very interesting, not long in to it. You have to be careful about genetic differences effecting things like range of possible intelligence and this book is clarifying a few things.
    QI - The Book of the Dead - This is my go to book when the pilot comes on and says we are going to experience turbulence, so I read it sparingly.
    Molby Dick - I have picked up and put down this book since before Christmas.

Up next
    Irish Gothic Fairy Stories - to read to the wee one if they are not too scary.
    The Dirt - About Motely Crew, I hated the band but the book is meant to be a howl.
    Pet Semetary - Because I hate sleep
    The Secret Barrister- Looks very interesting and a view in to the funny side of an aspect close to work.
    Rugby Talking a Good Game - A rugby commentators book. This will replace the QI book when I need it.

There’s a documentary on Netflix about Dirty John too it’s not an essential watch but what you do gain from it is just how accurate the series was.

Watched another 3 episodes last night... Will get the last 2 tonight. Gripped is an understatement. Must get the podcasts too.

And tv series recommendations folks? The summer stall of some tv shows is kicking in and my dvr is bare so need something to get stuck into.

Chernobyl is very good. No idea why they all have English accents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Jude13 wrote: »
    Chernobyl is very good. No idea why they all have English accents though.

I think I read somewhere that rather than have the actors potentially have really bad Russian accents, they went for English.

I don't have Netflix, so rely on the BBC series.

Enjoyed: Fleabag, Shetland and Bodyguard.
    Currently enjoying: Years and Years, Mum, Summer of Rockets.

Just finished ozark and we thought it was great, Laura Linney is superb in it. Currently watching killing eve and really liking it, must admit I'm developing a little bit of a crush on Jodie Comer too... 4 episodes in and its holding up well.

Just heard on the radio this morning that filming is about to start on a new gavin and stacey Christmas special for 2019... if its half as good as the previous one I'll be a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

And tv series recommendations folks? The summer stall of some tv shows is kicking in and my dvr is bare so need something to get stuck into.

What do you like to watch? comedy, detective, drama etc

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    What do you like to watch? comedy, detective, drama etc

All of the above :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

All of the above :pac:

Two I have been watching recently are;

Workaholics- bit of brain dead American comedy. Easy watching as doesn't require much (any) thinking.

Deutschland 83- cold war drama, spies and stuff. Early days but liking it so far. Second series is 86.

Strictly Live Shows are back on Saturday night. Always reminds me of cold cosy Winter nights.

Peaky Blinders - very late to the party as I only watched the previous series and this one.

Am looking forward to (after seeing the short trailer) World on Fire as I love a good WW2 drama.

otnomart wrote: »
    Peaky Blinders - very late to the party as I only watched the previous series and this one.

Am looking forward to (after seeing the short trailer) World on Fire as I love a good WW2 drama.

Love Peaky Blinders, & agree, world on fire looks good too in the trailers I've seen so far.

BBC also have a 3 part series of 'War of the Worlds' due to be shown too, for the first time its actually set in Victorian England, as was the HG Wells book. Looking forward to that also.

So I finally watched Downton Abbey the Movie.
    I am a massive fan of the series, so enjoyed seing the characters one more time.
    Wished I was watching it at home at Christmas-time, with a suitable seasonal drink in hand (instead of being in a crowded cinema) though !
    Any other Downton fans out here ?

I am a massive fan of the series, so enjoyed seing the characters one more time.
    Wished I was watching it at home at Christmas-time, with a suitable seasonal drink in hand (instead of being in a crowded cinema) though !

Guilty as charged. Myself & the mrs watched them all as they aired, that was back in the day when we had to wait a week between episodes and almost a year between seasons!! Will watch the movie but not at the cinema.

I’ve haven’t seen one episode of Downtown Abbey. Am I missing out?

I’ve haven’t seen one episode of Downtown Abbey. Am I missing out?

If you like: custom dramas, great dialogue (Maggie Smith has the best lines !), the dynamics of upstairs/downstairs, I would say:

Give it a go !

• Advertisement

I’m currently watching the celebrity crystal maze Christmas special I had recorded.

Was Listening to The Tubridy show at Dublin Airport Dec 23rd Podcast episode yesterday. And it’s emotional to say the least.

Advertisement