Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

buh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Glad this thread is back :)

Had a rough-ish weekend with a friend and today my mood has been up and down.

Have occupational therapy this week which I am really looking forward to :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Lukesmom I've never been near hypnotherapy stuff, let me know what you think.

Mickstup, havin a bad day?

Boxers i hope your appointment is good to you.

On a personal note I'm finding it very hard to keep nerves at bay. Finishing dbt and panic is setting in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

On a personal note I'm finding it very hard to keep nerves at bay. Finishing dbt and panic is setting in..

Sorry to hear that, Grem. Fingers crossed it'll recede soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

GP never even called me back or made a visit :( ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

carzony wrote: »
    GP never even called me back or made a visit :( ...
    A firm complaint in the morning so.. That's pretty crap treatment from what you've said of your situation. Try not to let it get to you too much tonight if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Time for a new GP carzony?

@Gremlinertia - it's that feeling where your face is all heavy and you can't pick it up. Like nothing that happens can bring a smile to the face. Then after a few days of that you start feeling even more dead to the world. And exhausted. And a new thing is now happening where I can only handle 20-30 minutes of my actual real and genuine friends who I love deeply. I gotta take a break from them for five or ten minutes, from being around humans. So much tension. And today I got real disturbed in the canteen with all the noise. Thought it got rapidly louder but my friend didn't notice anything. Had to get out into the quiet and fresh air. Bizarre.

With nerves, as well as repetitive thoughts and rumination, I've been finding it oddly helpful to just talk out loud to myself, to list off the things I'm feeling, get them out of my head into the world so my ears can hear them. e.g. "I'm feeling really tense, jaw won't unclench, sweating. Why am I feeling this? I have no idea. I've not felt like this before so I won't feel like this forever. So it will pass eventually. What can I do in the meantime? Have a shower, real cold or real hot. Have a bath. Drink something cold and fizzy. Eat something spicy as hell. Wash face with really cold water a few times. Run. Cycle."

So by speaking it out loud and then doing something physical, I can sometimes get myself out of the nerves. Not always! But sometimes. The physical change of temperature or environment often helps. And exercise helps me get rid of that nervous energy that normally just reinforces the tension.

/whateverworks

Mickstup, how's the support from your doc? When I'm anxious i find sounds can seem louder or lights brighter so you're not alone there. The numb/heavy face it ringing bells too. I hope you manage some decent rest tonight so you can plan your approach to things tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

get a room wrote: »
    I resurrected my account now the new forum is back up and running.
    Male 50, recovering from broken back, broken legs (surgery 3 times), Prostatitis, Prostatectomy, wife and child hit by car outside the house, 3 stents a couple of weeks ago, two revenue audits, 4 immediate relatives dying within 4 weeks, father mother and sibling in Lukes with cancer, child with auto immune disease, loss of 50% vision in right eye (accident). And other stuff, (all in the last 18/20 months.) - culminating with breakdown before Christmas.

Doing therapy, on meds, ssnri for A and D, blood pressure, cholestrol, blood thinners, ciallis, xanax, oxycontin, zolpodine.

Constant fatigue.

God its a relief posting this in A&D instead of after hours :)

You are very brave and keep it up.

• Advertisement

Doc is good, but I'm resistant to a lot of things.
    Rest is not on the cards, I'm afraid. Terrible insomnia for the last 5 months. Busy busy busy tomorrow.
    The busy-ness is actually very good for me, because it makes me feel productive, which is a positive thing and gives me energy to do other things. It's the quiet moments that kill me. When I stop to take a breath and everything underneath (or rather the nothing underneath) comes crashing back to the surface.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Doc is good, but I'm resistant to a lot of things.
    Rest is not on the cards, I'm afraid. Terrible insomnia for the last 5 months. Busy busy busy tomorrow.
    The busy-ness is actually very good for me, because it makes me feel productive, which is a positive thing and gives me energy to do other things. It's the quiet moments that kill me. When I stop to take a breath and everything underneath (or rather the nothing underneath) comes crashing back to the surface.

Everyone's path is unique to them, being productive helps me too however i do need to 'step out' and breathe every so often. Glad to hear you have a relationship with your doc though, so many suffer alone still. Hope you catch the odd break from the insomnia..

Aaaaand it begins. A very mild, easygoing group session on an unemotive topic. I end up bursting into tears and running from the room.

Where I was staying last month was much, much stricter. I would have been MADE "stay with the pain" and sit there crying until I could talk again. And then they'd dig even deeper and make me more and more upset.

Here I'm allowed run to a distant part of the hospital, take some time alone to calm down, and will probably be treated with kid gloves for the rest of the week.

Hard to know which approach is better. The tough "stay with the pain" one ended in a psychiatric breakdown, but I'm not sure going easy on me is the right approach either. Because then how will I ever address and resolve my issues.

I cried almost every day on the last programme. Most days I haven't cried since this admission. In fact I've been all happy and breezy and I think the other patients have been wondering why I'm here at all.

I'm stupid stupid stupid. I didn't even have to open my big fat stupid mouth, I should have known I'd only get upset and make an idiot of myself.

Wtf is wrong with me. :(

One of the biggest things people in our boat face is the fact that we can be our own worst enemy. Giving out to yourself is usually not warranted, but a default that every human has. Take some time Lady, breathe and talk later.

Went out earlier and all of a sudden I got so breathless I couldnt even talk and chest pains which is unusual for me. Ended up breaking red lights, overtaking cars and dangerous speeds just to get home. Jesus I got some fright.

Doing anything is leaving me feeling like i'm suffocating..

Bed for the day is the only thing for me now.... Not in the mode to even talk to anyone.

Things are seriously getting worse. Think it's time to consider seriously strong medications and psychiatric treatment.

Would in-patient treatment be an option for you carzony? Give you a bit of breathing space? I really feel for you. :(

Would in-patient treatment be an option for you carzony? Give you a bit of breathing space? I really feel for you. :(

I'm not sure what to do right now. Even when i'm relaxed and 'normal' I still feel strange as if i'm trapped all the time. My anger and stress levels are through the roof also. I just thank god i've no real responsibilities or anyone depending on me.

Another thing that got to me was a friend was talking about joining linkedin and of course I had to go look at old friends, classmates ect.. It's a real eye opener to see how empty my life/ work experiences/education is compared to others. I'm only 24 end of March but my god I feel so old and exhausted.....

I hope you are okay Carazony and I hope you get the help you need soon :)

In a serious down-mood today.

Sick of having things turned back on me when I'm not in the wrong, being snapped at, barked at, etc.

I haven't even done anything.

I need to win the lotto so I can move out and live alone pronto. The peace and quiet would be unreal. It would be like a permanent holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

You are very brave and keep it up.

auto pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hi all.
    Recent lurker to this forum as I wanted to seek out solidarity from those who understand what I’m going through which is a fairly constant feeling of anxiety. I was even anxious about posting here under my username as I was afraid that those who may be familiar with me elsewhere on Boards or anyone who’d google me on Boards would see this and then associate me with a mental health condition and what a stigma that would be….eh?? I also had a concern that coming here (and I’ve visited this thread a lot in the last couple of weeks) would somehow encourage me to wallow in my condition and somehow use the forum as an excuse to go on “poor me” rants and have some of you validate such rants and which could start making the thread addictive for me for the wrong reasons (ie seeking the company of misery/pity/sympathy validations). I’m confident for me that the positives of this thread will far outweigh any perceived negatives I had or may have.

I can however see a lot of very brave individuals coming here and posting about how they are truly hurting right now or in the recent past and how they even just have the wherewithal to post about that. Those posts alone mean you are not suffering in silence. Your honesty and courage is what is inspiring me and doesn’t make me feel alienated and alone (of which I’ve so often felt in the past).

I left a great, very well paid, top of career job 3 years ago due to extreme work related anxiety and tricked everyone into thinking I was taking a career break to go travelling for a year which of course was a far more socially acceptable “why are you leaving?” response rather than say “I can’t face this job or any new job”. Anyway, with some therapy and fabulous group support work with CrossCare during that year off, I mustered up the strength and courage to fight my anxiety and go back and find a job in my industry ( a different company, similar job) hoping I could use the coping mechanisms and tools I acquired through therapy to endure this new job. You’ve all heard the Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway malarkey…. I lasted two years that included 2 one month absences due to work related anxiety before I had to quit again before Christmas to save myself from descending further down a black hole of anxiety. I'm so mad and angry that 20 years of education, qualifications and working hard to ascend to the top has all being wasted but my sanity had to come first. My therapist congratulated me when I guiltily admitted I handed in my notice and said that I should feel empowered for owning that decision to leave an environment that was stressing me out. I’m still not sure if it’s me or my anxiety that “owned” it.

Anyway, 3 months later and I’m back job hunting again and trying to focus on completely different industries but my CV is only geared towards the industry I’ve always worked in. I’m now applying for completely unrelated jobs hoping that working in a different field will not cause me such anxiety and stress. I’m not sure how successful that will be but I guess the fact I’m doing it all is a good thing, right? I’m hating having to job hunt as I equate work with anxiety for as long as I remembered and this job hunting feeds into the anxiety. However, I get more stressed out by doing nothing and feeling guilty about doing nothing so I popped off a couple of CVs today. Not sure I’d even want the jobs I’m applying for but there is a slight feel good feeling already for doing something productive as applying for jobs I guess.

Anyway, apologies for the long post – hadn’t planned, just kept on typing. I just wanted to introduce myself and say well done to all of you for expressing yourselves so honestly. Even if you feel your posts do not help yourself, it may help someone else who’s reading and that has to be a good thing.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Recent lurker to this forum as I wanted to seek out solidarity from those who understand what I’m going through which is a fairly constant feeling of anxiety. I was even anxious about posting here under my username as I was afraid that those who may be familiar with me elsewhere on Boards or anyone who’d google me on Boards would see this and then associate me with a mental health condition and what a stigma that would be….eh?? I also had a concern that coming here (and I’ve visited this thread a lot in the last couple of weeks) would somehow encourage me to wallow in my condition and somehow use the forum as an excuse to go on “poor me” rants and have some of you validate such rants and which could start making the thread addictive for me for the wrong reasons (ie seeking the company of misery/pity/sympathy validations). I’m confident for me that the positives of this thread will far outweigh any perceived negatives I had or may have.

I can however see a lot of very brave individuals coming here and posting about how they are truly hurting right now or in the recent past and how they even just have the wherewithal to post about that. Those posts alone mean you are not suffering in silence. Your honesty and courage is what is inspiring me and doesn’t make me feel alienated and alone (of which I’ve so often felt in the past).

I left a great, very well paid, top of career job 3 years ago due to extreme work related anxiety and tricked everyone into thinking I was taking a career break to go travelling for a year which of course was a far more socially acceptable “why are you leaving?” response rather than say “I can’t face this job or any new job”. Anyway, with some therapy and fabulous group support work with CrossCare during that year off, I mustered up the strength and courage to fight my anxiety and go back and find a job in my industry ( a different company, similar job) hoping I could use the coping mechanisms and tools I acquired through therapy to endure this new job. You’ve all heard the Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway malarkey…. I lasted two years that included 2 one month absences due to work related anxiety before I had to quit again before Christmas to save myself from descending further down a black hole of anxiety. I'm so mad and angry that 20 years of education, qualifications and working hard to ascend to the top has all being wasted but my sanity had to come first. My therapist congratulated me when I guiltily admitted I handed in my notice and said that I should feel empowered for owning that decision to leave an environment that was stressing me out. I’m still not sure if it’s me or my anxiety that “owned” it.

Anyway, 3 months later and I’m back job hunting again and trying to focus on completely different industries but my CV is only geared towards the industry I’ve always worked in. I’m now applying for completely unrelated jobs hoping that working in a different field will not cause me such anxiety and stress. I’m not sure how successful that will be but I guess the fact I’m doing it all is a good thing, right? I’m hating having to job hunt as I equate work with anxiety for as long as I remembered and this job hunting feeds into the anxiety. However, I get more stressed out by doing nothing and feeling guilty about doing nothing so I popped off a couple of CVs today. Not sure I’d even want the jobs I’m applying for but there is a slight feel good feeling already for doing something productive as applying for jobs I guess.

Anyway, apologies for the long post – hadn’t planned, just kept on typing. I just wanted to introduce myself and say well done to all of you for expressing yourselves so honestly. Even if you feel your posts do not help yourself, it may help someone else who’s reading and that has to be a good thing.

Welcome to the thread!

No apologies for lost posts needed in here, friend! :)

Yeah job hunting can seriously mess with your emotions, especially if you are already prone to any bit of depression and/or anxiety.

A lot of us have either gone through or are currently going through what you are there. I hope you keep posting here. It's a great safe place for advice and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

another long night of smokes and tea.

Hey Getaroom, how are the injuries coming along? Nights are hard, do you read or are you stuck with the sleeplessness?

Just had a dream that my hairdresser made me pee in a saucepan to do a pregnancy test, I asked for the results but she said I'd have to wait til they were announced in group therapy ... LOL!

Better than my nightmares of the last few nights anyways!

Those off the wall dreams are such a relief aren't they?. You can wake and laugh at them..

Those off the wall dreams are such a relief aren't they?. You can wake and laugh at them..

Haha no I went and asked the night nurse for a sample container just in case! :D While rambling on about hairdressers and saucepans, I think she thought I was sleepwalking!

Anyways wide awake now for the day. Might get up and dressed and read a book for a while, even though breakfast isn't til half eight.

What has you up? General insomnia?

I work nights actually, think it may have been because of the insomnia i ended up here!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

So went to my counsellor yday. She announced that she felt I could continue on my own.... still not sure how I'm feeling but surely she wouldn't say it unless she saw I was ready.... right???

Other then that I am wrecked. Oh started his course last wk. 5 days a wk... which means no more lie ins and me dealing with all household things including school stuff, bills and my sons assessment for asd.

I'm coping so far and feeling positive about it... so far. Although today will be a slow day. Feel sooo tired.

Still not sleeping at night though. Everyone said "if your busy during the day you'll sleep at night".... well since last Tue I haven't even sat down for lunch til oh comes home at half 4... the night's don't get Better though. Maybe I need to keep getting more tired??

Wow what a wk.

I'm wrecked too, TC.

I'm just trundling through the weekdays to get to the weekend. The weekend means a little respite. I can hide from the world for a little while. But then it starts all over again.

• Advertisement

Can't stop crying.

Advertisement