Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1996 Mazda Bongo Camper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

ManAlive73 wrote: »
    Bought mine in uk, straight from japan, had it six years. Lots of fun. So trying to keep the dream alive. Head getting tested at moment, found a soild mechanic so hoping he can salvage the mess mr bongo left, not a great situation but a silver lining is on the horizon.
    Cheers

Hi ManAlive - did you get him/his mechanic to do work on the van? I'm looking for someone to do a few jobs on mine that my normal mechanic is not keen to tackle - PT recommended a guy in Oranmore area but if it's the same person who's done the work on yours I'll think twice.

Do you mind me asking who/where you're bringing it to now?

Simona - do you work on other peoples Bongos, or just your own as a project?

Planning a trip to France in July and trying to get these jobs sorted now instead of last minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've only ever worked on my own! What do you need doing? There's a lot of help available online. Where are you based and what sort of bongo have you?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I've only ever worked on my own! What do you need doing? There's a lot of help available online. Where are you based and what sort of bongo have you?

Hi Simona1986,

It's a 2.5 Petrol, AFT 1997. Much loved by all the family - have it about 2 years now.

Failed DOE on emissions - I've a feeling it's from stalling in floodwater last year, and I think a new cat converter may be needed.

Also my headlights dim on their own when the van slows to a stop! Not ideal when driving up to a junction at nighttime...

Otherwise it's a basic service that's due, but be great to know of a Bongo-friendly mechanic or garage around. I'm Co. Galway-based but can travel.

The emissions and the headlights I can't help you with but the service is pretty simple, you should give it a go. Just make sure your ramp/stands are up to the task

Headlamps sound like alternator. Either a loose belt/tired idler, worn brushes, wrong pulley or something oddball.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sir Liamalot - I'll look into that. It's only recent, so you could be onto something.

Simona, I'm happy to let a neighbour have at it for the basic service stuff, while i "help". Would be great to have a Bongo-savvy mechanic give it a look over though before I fork out for a new Cat Converter, which might not be needed. From reading online, could be a sensor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManAlive73

Hi ManAlive - did you get him/his mechanic to do work on the van? I'm looking for someone to do a few jobs on mine that my normal mechanic is not keen to tackle - PT recommended a guy in Oranmore area but if it's the same person who's done the work on yours I'll think twice.

Do you mind me asking who/where you're bringing it to now?

Planning a trip to France in July and trying to get these jobs sorted now instead of last minute...

I got PT to collect it, he first said that he would work on it, wks later he said his mechanic was working on it, then he said that he had fallen out with his mechanic and to pick it up or he would drop it back or he would find someone else. I gave him a 1000 up front, he sent it back 3months later. Bongo a complete mess parts every where, head off, bolts, nuts oil rust. As i said a complete nightmare of a situation. No one wanted to touch it. He is a complete disaster. Stay clear

ManAlive73 wrote: »
    I got PT to collect it, he first said that he would work on it, wks later he said his mechanic was working on it, then he said that he had fallen out with his mechanic and to pick it up or he would drop it back or he would find someone else. I gave him a 1000 up front, he sent it back 3months later. Bongo a complete mess parts every where, head off, bolts, nuts oil rust. As i said a complete nightmare of a situation. No one wanted to touch it. He is a complete disaster. Stay clear

That sounds awful! Who did you use to get it sorted after that?

That sounds awful! Who did you use to get it sorted after that?

Still in limbo, found a dude who has taken head to test it etc, two weeks ago. Due to give him a call. He has a day job so don't want to push him. Fingers crossed.
    Laters

The head on my bongo was replaced before I bought it, I'll dig out the receipt to see who fit it.

• Advertisement

The head on my bongo was replaced before I bought it, I'll dig out the receipt to see who fit it.

I just remembered I heard that it's the same engine as a Ford Ranger - so maybe a Ford / Ex-Ford mechanic could be a good option.

I just remembered I heard that it's the same engine as a Ford Ranger - so maybe a Ford / Ex-Ford mechanic could be a good option.

True, the engine itself should be fine, the only trick with the bongo is getting the cooling system bled correctly, which is different to the ranger and unique to the bongo!

Head is cracked. Have to get a new one, any ideas on getting a new one.

You can get them from: http://www.mazdabongo.com/ which seem to have a decent enough reputation on the forums. Shipping might be prohibitive from the UK though. Do you think it was cracked before you got the guy in Galway to have a look?

Nice one ill check that out. Ebay looks good much cheaper than i was led to believe. Guy in galway said he checked my head, and put TWO heads on my engine which both cracked. Said i need a new engine. Except when i got back my bongo my head was off but not stripped or checked hmmm. So yes my head was cracked before it went to MR BONGO. Stay clear.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but thanks for the feedback on the Mr Bongo mechanic.

I looked elsewhere and found one very local to me who had all my problems sorted same day. Will also be tackling timing belt for me once I'm ready for that bill!

The garage sell Ford Rangers, which was my reason for going with them. Turns out the petrol V6 bongo has nothing in common with the Ford Ranger though... who'd a thunk it? But all good anyway.

ManAlive, if you want to see if they'll tackle cracked head, I can send contact number/website by PM.

Hi judgefoozla, & co
    No worries, just glad i can warn bongo drivers about sharks. Ive got everything now just waiting on tbelt. Even bought that recommended low level & temperture coolant alarm system with bmw clock. So im happy happy. Dayco Aux belts bought plus tbelt, themosat, rad, waterpump, pipes oh and a bare cylinder head. And the major part of it all, a sound dude who will put it altogether lined up. Keep u posted. V6 hmmm i like the sound of that rocket.

Got a new windscreen from autoglass today as a crack had developed in the old one, was a great service, came to the office while I was in work and covered by insurance.
    Have the cvrt on Monday so hopefully she passes, there's a bit of a knock from the driver side cv joint but the boot is intact so depends on the tester and there's a bit of surface rust about the place. Will only be addressing anything that gets pulled up as still hunting for a house and the van is second priority!

Good luck with it - mine on 24th so hopefully all legal for the road by end of month.

Well she passed with flying colours, a minor leak from the gearbox but nothing to be concerned about and the main battery was slightly loose. Happy days.

A few pictures from servicing her and giving it a clean in advance of the test. I had just reached the 5,000km since I last changed the oil. Here's how she is on fuel:http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/bongo/1996/alkers/402032

2016_05_14_18_17_37.jpg
    Airing out the roof!

2016_05_14_18_17_49.jpg

2016_05_14_18_18_26.jpg
    Like having a portable balcony!

2016_05_14_18_43_22.jpg
    Draining the old oil out.

2016_05_14_18_43_58.jpg
    You can see the undersealing job.

2016_05_14_18_45_55.jpg

2016_05_14_18_46_08.jpg
    Refilling the oil

2016_05_14_18_47_19.jpg
    The old filter

2016_05_14_19_09_32.jpg
    Very black for 5,000km!

• Advertisement

Congrats! We had our first night out in ours last weekend - looking forward to making good use of it this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭octyvrs

nice job!.. Would you mind telling me who did the underseal and what it costs roughly..
    Regards,
    Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Great write up,fell for the bongo when my brother got one 2 years ago,great vehicle,bought one from the auctions in tokyo through a contact in tuam and it arrived in december last.Been working on it since and am nearly ready for road it's with auto electrician to complete wiring on conversion and leisure battery.Good luck all bongo people out there they are getting more popular. 1998 2.5TDI 4WD nerly ready....................

octyvrs wrote: »
    nice job!.. Would you mind telling me who did the underseal and what it costs roughly..
    Regards,
    Mick.
    I got it done with a crowd called reactive welding. It was 150 or 175 but it would be more if you need any welding done or anything, mine was in decent shape as it was. The only other quote I could get was 300e but in the end they couldn't do the bongo because of the weight or the height. Would recommend the crowd I went with anyway.

WM18 wrote: »
    Great write up,fell for the bongo when my brother got one 2 years ago,great vehicle,bought one from the auctions in tokyo through a contact in tuam and it arrived in december last.Been working on it since and am nearly ready for road it's with auto electrician to complete wiring on conversion and leisure battery.Good luck all bongo people out there they are getting more popular. 1998 2.5TDI 4WD nerly ready....................
    stick up a few pics, rest of you also!

stick up a few pics, rest of you also!

will do just need to hit 25 posts

Have the same problem - not at 25 posts! Will try this though... may need to be copied & pasted...

postimg.org/gallery/7nh7gvg/

WM18 wrote: »
    Great write up,fell for the bongo when my brother got one 2 years ago,great vehicle,bought one from the auctions in tokyo through a contact in tuam .

I'm near Tuam myself - was it a guy in Tuam with a white 98 or maybe 00 Bongo? I've seen one around the odd time.

I'm near Tuam myself - was it a guy in Tuam with a white 98 or maybe 00 Bongo? I've seen one around the odd time.

thats the brother white 99 2wd,Richie is the guy's name he imports direct and brought in our 2, PM me if you need more details,what have got urself?

• Advertisement

Have the same problem - not at 25 posts! Will try this though... may need to be copied & pasted...

postimg.org/gallery/7nh7gvg/
    looks nice same colour as ours

Advertisement