Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xtra Vision

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Xtravision's market is people who don't have internet connections - so they're competing against bricks and mortar only. This is also why they've far less branches than they used to have... (its not a sustainable business model)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just so I'm clear on this OP, you don't understand why amazon and Tesco might be cheaper than XV for DVDs?

Google "economy of scale", this should tell you all you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

davo10 wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear on this OP, you don't understand why amazon and Tesco might be cheaper than XV for DVDs?

Google "economy of scale", this should tell you all you need to know.

I am 100% aware as to why they are more expensive, but why are they priced at so much more than their UK counterparts (e.g. HMV UK)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I am 100% aware as to why they are more expensive, but why are they priced at so much more than their UK counterparts (e.g. HMV UK)?

how much are hmv charging in their irish stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Well obviously you're going to get stuff cheaper online.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well obviously you're going to get stuff cheaper online.

I know that obviously, but the differences in price are huge.

Beano wrote: »
    how much are hmv charging in their irish stores?

They are part of Xtra Vision now within Ireland and NI, so the prices are the same in both XV and HMV Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I know that obviously, but the differences in price are huge.

So just buy the stuff online and use Xtravision for rentals. I'd never buy a DVD in Xtravision.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    So just buy the stuff online and use Xtravision for rentals. I'd never buy a DVD in Xtravision.

I buy all my films online. I was simply stating the fact that they are a complete rip off, this is what the forum is for.

I buy all my films online. I was simply stating the fact that they are a complete rip off, this is what the forum is for.

Yes but understanding why items bought online are cheaper than an item bought in a shop goes a long way to understanding price differences. Also, understanding differences in market size is helpfull, how many times bigger is the UK market compared to the irish market?

High street shops like XV will never be able to sell items at the same price as amazon and Tesco because they sell DVDs by the thousands and sometimes tens of thousands. They can get much better deals from distributors for bulk buys which means the unit price is lower. Also they can offer greater discounts to shift surplus stock, sometimes selling below purchase price. The market for HMV in the UK is much bigger than Ireland so again there is an economy of scale, and that is leaving aside differences in VAT, rents, wages, exchange rates etc.

• Advertisement

Yes but understanding why items bought online are cheaper than an item bought in a shop goes a long way to understanding price differences. Also, understanding differences in market size is helpfull, how many times bigger is the UK market compared to the irish market?

You seem to think I do not understand about market sizes & price differences etc. I do. What I can't understand is how they can charge nearly double what their UK counterparts (B&M stores, not online stores) are charging.

You seem to think I do not understand about market sizes & price differences etc. I do. What I can't understand is how they can charge nearly double what their UK counterparts (B&M stores, not online stores) are charging.

You used amazon and supermarkets as examples of the price differences in your OP. These are simple examples of economy of scale. The B&M shops are an example of market size differences, in the US the price is probably cheaper again in Walmart/Target because they would be a much bigger market than the UK with bigger scale/bulk purchase power and exchange rate differences.

You used amazon and supermarkets as examples of the price differences in your OP. These are simple examples of economy of scale. The B&M shops are an example of market size differences, in the US the price is probably cheaper again in Walmart/Target because they would be a much bigger market than the UK with bigger scale/bulk purchase power and exchange rate differences.

Fair enough, I was wrong to compare online to B&M prices. But the prices they are charging here compared to the UK in-store are substantially higher. What is the reason for the outrageous pricing? you can argue market size differences & supplier costs but these differences are huge.

Fair enough, I was wrong to compare online to B&M prices. But the prices they are charging here compared to the UK in-store are substantially higher.

You are right but I would imagine that DVD sales are now so low that it's no longer feasible for them to even sell new releases. Netflix/sky/iTunes etc must be nearly making disc sales a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

They(Xtra-Vision) do offer some reasonably priced deals on ex-rental DVD'S.2 for 12 euro etc.When buying online you have to factor in the cost of postage which in some instances can be more than double the price of the item itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What I can't understand is how they can charge nearly double what their UK counterparts (B&M stores, not online stores) are charging.

Possibly because they are not buying them in at half of what the UK shops are buying them in at.

Most Irish shops are sold to via UK distributors so there is currency exchange and a VAT difference (at retail) to deal with along with distribution costs from UK to Ireland. That's all before looking at the cost of rent, rates, insurance for Irish B&M stores too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AKW wrote: »
    Possibly because they are not buying them in at half of what the UK shops are buying them in at.

Xtravision = HMV Ireland = HMV UK, all the same firm. With the exception of non-equally rated DVDs which need a specific Irish SKU I suspect they're purchasing everything at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

I'm seriously considering getting an xtra-vision €8.99 monthly subscription. The deal is any and as many movies you want for the month including new releases.
    I've seen the kiosks in a couple of supermarkets close to where l live. They've been there for a few years now, but until now they haven't peaked my interest, l have Netflix but l find that their movie selection is quite poor, I might dust of my old dvd player as l like the idea of just popping the disc into the machine and pressing play rather than searching for ages on Netflix for something decent to watch. A case of back to the future l suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

monstermag wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering getting an xtra-vision €8.99 monthly subscription. The deal is any and as many movies you want for the month including new releases.
    I've seen the kiosks in a couple of supermarkets close to where l live. They've been there for a few years now, but until now they haven't peaked my interest, l have Netflix but l find that their movie selection is quite poor, I might dust of my old dvd player as l like the idea of just popping the disc into the machine and pressing play rather than searching for ages on Netflix for something decent to watch. A case of back to the future l suppose.

and you dug up a zombie thread to share that bit of random chat :pac:

The internet isn’t for everyone

And it had sunk for another two weeks before you bounced it again :pac:

Nothing relevant to this will ever turn up again so closing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement