Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weebuns12

Hi all been over here just over a year, keen to meet more people! See there are a lot of people here in east London, anyone in essex?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cms12

I'm Colin, 25, just moved to London last week to start a new job.
    Looking forward to getting to know some people here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keaneochris

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris and I moved over here in the middle of October with my girlfriend looking for work. I'm a plumber by trade and finding it really difficult to find any sort of work. I'm living in Islington N1. I'm really getting fed up sending cv's and getting no reply!

Anybody who's got any bit of advice would be really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hi all,

I'm Jonathan, just turned 30 this year and have been over here for nearly 2 years. I'm a Controls Engineer currently working in Gatwick keeping their whole baggage handling system running.

I'm still not technically a Londoner but I'm slowly getting there. Like all good love stories I'm here because of a girl. She moved over to get a job in HR in Nov 2010 and I followed shortly after. Because of my line of work I could only find a job outside of London initially and went to Southampton. We live in Woking in Surrey (only 23 minutes to Waterloo by train!) and for 18 months I was doing a 120 mile round trip commute. Eventually I'd had enough so I quit, quickly moved into the airports industry and promptly put a ring on herself's finger!

I'm now keeping an eye out for work closer to London and some jobs look promising so may finally make it into London early next year.

I love being near London just for the sheer amount of things to do. Living in Surrey I get the best of both worlds, city life is a train ride away, country life is out my back door. I adore films and TV and love the cinemas in London, especially if I can bag a free screening or two. I'm a musician who really needs to make it to more gigs. I love the theatre and would see a musical every week if I could afford it. And whenever I'm in London on my own you'll normally find me in De Hems drinking every beer on offer, or having a stroll around the National Portrait Gallery. Also I'm a theme park geek so this Christmas I'll once again spend plenty of time in Winter Wonderland.

Hopefully I'll make it in to a boards meetup at some stage as I really do need to make some more friends over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris and I moved over here in the middle of October with my girlfriend looking for work. I'm a plumber by trade and finding it really difficult to find any sort of work. I'm living in Islington N1. I'm really getting fed up sending cv's and getting no reply!

Anybody who's got any bit of advice would be really appreciated!

Have you got your papers, are you Corgi regristered?

Got them then there is work

if you have the above I can give you a nixer PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 keaneochris

I have my papers but I'm not corgi registered yet. Need to find someone who's willing to take me on to get my gas certs. No job = no money = no corgi! :rolleyes:

If you know of anyone willing to help me get my gas done then I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Hi all,

I'm Jonathan, just turned 30 this year and have been over here for nearly 2 years. I'm a Controls Engineer currently working in Gatwick keeping their whole baggage handling system running.

I'm still not technically a Londoner but I'm slowly getting there. Like all good love stories I'm here because of a girl. She moved over to get a job in HR in Nov 2010 and I followed shortly after. Because of my line of work I could only find a job outside of London initially and went to Southampton. We live in Woking in Surrey (only 23 minutes to Waterloo by train!) and for 18 months I was doing a 120 mile round trip commute. Eventually I'd had enough so I quit, quickly moved into the airports industry and promptly put a ring on herself's finger!

I'm now keeping an eye out for work closer to London and some jobs look promising so may finally make it into London early next year.

I love being near London just for the sheer amount of things to do. Living in Surrey I get the best of both worlds, city life is a train ride away, country life is out my back door. I adore films and TV and love the cinemas in London, especially if I can bag a free screening or two. I'm a musician who really needs to make it to more gigs. I love the theatre and would see a musical every week if I could afford it. And whenever I'm in London on my own you'll normally find me in De Hems drinking every beer on offer, or having a stroll around the National Portrait Gallery. Also I'm a theme park geek so this Christmas I'll once again spend plenty of time in Winter Wonderland.

Hopefully I'll make it in to a boards meetup at some stage as I really do need to make some more friends over here.

De Hems! Oh, I meant to visit it when I was in the area, but slipped my mind! Other places in the area you can try are the Lowlander in Drury Lane for more Dutch/Belgian beers, and the Harp near Charing Cross for a huge selection of ales. Or you could slide down to Brighton which has several good beer places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Ahhh, should have responded to this sooner! Been in London two years now, moved up from Southampton after completing my masters. In a dreadfully poorly paid job (don't study maritime archaeology!) but still wouldn't trade it for the world, there's just something about this place that I really love. I guess it's the fact that despite being here two years I've still barely scratched the surface. Live and work in SE but always looking for new and exciting places to discover! Despite being painfully poor I can still find myself busy with something fun most nights of the week! Always like meeting new people so hopefully there'll be a beers soon and I'll get to meet some fellow London boardsies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Hi all, just moved here about two months ago and starting to settle down now :-) Really glad to find there's a boards forum for London, have gotten so many good tips from it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

So I'm here a month and got job offer today so thought I would introduce myself here as looks like il be sticking about for a while.

I'm frAg. Working in advertising, love gigs, movies and getting up to mischief. The best bits are best told over a few beers on the next London Beers so get me drunk and il spill the beans!!!

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Hey everyone,
    Zippy here, 28, moving over in March.
    Solicitor in Ireland and now moving over to one of the banks. Working near Bank tube station so hoping to live in Clapham/Balham area
    Not too many contacts in London so any advice would be greatly appreciated especially when I start proper flat hunting in April(have something till then)

Been to London a few times but haven't much if a clue to be fair of the nightlife or the craic.

Sure said I'd say hello anyway!

Zip

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Solicitor in Ireland and now moving over to one of the banks. Working near Bank tube station so hoping to live in Clapham/Balham area
    Not too many contacts in London so any advice would be greatly appreciated especially when I start proper flat hunting in April(have something till then)

Been to London a few times but haven't much if a clue to be fair of the nightlife or the craic.

Zip

Hi Zip, good luck with the upcoming move :)

Have a read through a couple of the sticky threads in the forum, there's a fair bit of advice there. A couple of regular posters have mentioned having good luck with speed-flatmating, so that might be one to consider.

Oh, and come along to the Beers once you're over.

Yeah I've been going through the stickys all day!! Moving to london's all well and good until you actually have to move!!
    When's the next beers? I'll definitely try and make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Hey everyone,

Zip

Hi m8 and welcome. Clapham/Balham is nice to live... Been living in the area for about 6 years now and spent a lot of those years working in the city. Currently doing Balham to Bank on the northern line every morning and its horrendous. Tube is full by the time it gets to Balham from about 7am onwards. I go to tooting broadway so I can find a nice place to stand. You could cycle in but then you have to contend with London traffic and if you haven't cycled in a big city before then it can be daunting. If you work is flexible about working hours then it might be worth getting into the office a bit later and leaving later ... 9:30 to 6:30. Tube is much better by then.

I'd pick Balham over Clapham... Better bars and restaurants imo and a little cheaper. Clapham is on your doorstep for clubbing if you want to do that. Getting up to Camden or into the west end is easy as they are both on the northern line.. Angel and old street also easy to get too for night life but not easy to get home from late unless you get a taxi ... Night buses are a bit of a nightmare.

Are you looking to live on your own or get a room in a house share? Right move is pretty good website / app if you want to get a feel for what it costs to live in the area. It doesn't advertise rooms though afaik. If you need any more specific info let me know and ill be happy to help if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Zippy1991

I've moved your queries & the responses to the FAQ for moving to/living in London thread as you'll get more responses there.

Thanks,
    Jack

Zippy1991

I've moved your queries & the responses to the FAQ for moving to/living in London thread as you'll get more responses there.

Thanks,
    Jack

sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Ello folks, longtime boardsie who has just moved to London, currently living in Ealing temporarily while I secure employment and look for my own place. Thought I'd say hello, and will probably tip along to the beers for the giggles. :)

EDIT: I should also mention that the stickies have been a MASSIVE help, so many thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Hey, just moved to London, i'm here nearly three weeks and i'll be here for at least three years (so my contract states). I'm living in Kennington and working near Kings Cross as a researcher in UCL. Like others here I have a very small contact list in London, so it would be cool to meet some others that are settled or new to the city if there's any upcoming events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Checking in here as I've just moved over to London from Galway.

Living with relations in Tooting/Mitcham and staying between there and my girlfriend's flat in Stratford. Landed on Saturday so on the job hunt this week.

I would be so scattered if it wasn't for the stickies and info on this forum - thanks to all who have provided useful tips! I know a few people here (bumped right into a guy from home in the supermarket a while ago, such a small world!) but always open to getting to know more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ahtfulal84

Here about a two months so far, started a job over three weeks ago in central London. Staying with relations out in West London at the moment. Loving life here so far, loads to do and the transport system is top class (some difference from the Luas!). Any boardsies night out coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hello all, ive been living in Windsor and working in Slough for the past 2 years.
    Im looking to move into the Ealing/Chiswick or anything close to the M4 and up to 10 minutes walking distance from a tube stop.

Looking for a room of reasonable size and my budget is up to 650pcm including bills. PM me if you know of anything decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Hello!
    Moved to London in January to do a PhD in UCL, so here for at least three years.
    Thought I'd say hello anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LaneyD

Hi everyone!

I'm Elaine, from Limerick and have been in Dublin for the past 11 years. I'm still in Dublin at the minute, but planning to move to London early April. No job or place to stay sorted yet but I'll most likely stay around the Clapham / Balham area as I know a couple of people around there. Really looking forward to getting there although I'm sure it'll be a shock to the system!

I'd definitely be up for some Boards beers to meet new people, so if any nights out are planned in April I'm there! :)

LaneyD wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I'm Elaine, from Limerick and have been in Dublin for the past 11 years. I'm still in Dublin at the minute, but planning to move to London early April. No job or place to stay sorted yet but I'll most likely stay around the Clapham / Balham area as I know a couple of people around there. Really looking forward to getting there although I'm sure it'll be a shock to the system!

I'd definitely be up for some Boards beers to meet new people, so if any nights out are planned in April I'm there! :)

Great location... Balham is better value than Clapham though and a bit nicer if I'm honest. I and a couple of other boardsie's live in the area too so if you have any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LaneyD

Playboy wrote: »
    Great location... Balham is better value than Clapham though and a bit nicer if I'm honest. I and a couple of other boardsie's live in the area too so if you have any questions just ask!

Thought so from my searches on Spare Room but it's great to hear from someone living there! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

Hiya,

I've been here 6 weeks now, although it doesn't feel like it. I'm an occupational therapist living and working in Harrow. I like it - easy commute and low rent, and great transport links for getting into central London when I want to. Would love to come to some beers some night soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

How do, I've been living here for two years now, from Cork originally and I work as a trade union organiser in the London and Sussex areas. I live in Finsbury Park in North London which is the new "place to be" apparently. Although I live in the middle of a council estate so it doesn't feel that exclusive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wanita

Hi all . My boyfriend and I are living and working here for the past six months. We are living in West London.We would be very interested in meeting up for a drink sometime if there is anything arranged. I'm from Galway and he is a Kilkenny man......

Hi Guys,

Finally set up over here.
    Staying with mates for a few weeks but move into my new flat in Balham in two weeks. Can't wait.
    Work in the city.
    Loving it here so far.

Zippy

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Finally set up over here.
    Staying with mates for a few weeks but move into my new flat in Balham in two weeks. Can't wait.
    Work in the city.
    Loving it here so far.

Zippy

I'm sure I'll probably see you in the Bedford at some point then! :)

Advertisement