Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A guide to ski Boot Fitting

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    Fattes, can you recommend a boot fitter in St Anton? I'm going to find it hard to get to Snow and Rock pre holiday and if I knew of a decent fitting service, I'd get myself sorted in St Anton.

We were there last year and a friend of mine wanted his boots adjusted so went to Sporthaus Jennewein. Service was great and the selection of boots in there is impressive. You can take a look inside the shop on Google streetview:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@47.1270932,10.2637538,3a,75y,131.92h,70.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIuCIN1dSyoQAAAQvxROd6g!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

No one I know bought boots so cant fully recommend but saw other random people in there getting fitted and the service looked really good and through. Its a pretty high end shop so probably not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

I'll be buying a new pair of ski boots in Snow & Rock as soon as they get their gear back in.
    Anyone know if Hubert will be working there this year or is there someone else I should be looking for. Would you go in in advance and ask them when this person would be available or turn up on the day and their bootfitter will be around.

Don't want to chance getting someone with no experience, they're a big investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

colly10 wrote: »
    I'll be buying a new pair of ski boots in Snow & Rock as soon as they get their gear back in.
    Anyone know if Hubert will be working there this year or is there someone else I should be looking for. Would you go in in advance and ask them when this person would be available or turn up on the day and their bootfitter will be around.

Don't want to chance getting someone with no experience, they're a big investment

Try messaging this page , based in NI but only a short drive from Dub

https://www.facebook.com/skiserviceni/

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Try messaging this page , based in NI but only a short drive from Dub

https://www.facebook.com/skiserviceni/

Thanks, alot of recommendations i've read have said go with Snow & Rock so i'd be going with them unless there was a reason not to

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

As far as I'm aware that guy left a year or two ago. I had read some great reviews on his service so went myself about a year or more ago thinking he'd be still there but he wasn't.( I'm pretty sure it was the same guy I was looking for). Anyway I went and was a little disappointed that he wasn't there as there was only two very young guys doing the fitting. I have to say though they were very good. They really wanted them to be right for me. It took several hours but they kept at it until the boots were just right.
    My boots have worked out fantastically well. I went for the moulded foot beds too which were more expensive but I love my boots. They did a great job. They earn their money really as it's a bit of a process to fit them properly.
    I couldn't be happier though and dreading if I have to replace them.
    There was a guy though that came in while I was there who had bought boots before going on holiday and his didn't work out so he wasn't so happy, but I think it's part of the service to tweak them or something if there is a problem. From what I observed that day, there were quite a few 'experts' coming in and requesting this and that. Sometimes google and only an ounce of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Mine worked out a treat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I was going to go to Snow + Rock too. Was actually there last night checking them out. Was unsure whether to wait till our trip or not but I have been putting off getting my own set for years now.

Need to make up my mind!! :D

Some really good advice on here, thanks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Hey all.
    So I'm heading to Val d'Isère in February, and as this is my fourth ski trip, I have decided it's time to invest in boots. The question I have is whether there is any significant advantage to getting the boots fitted and supplied in the resort, or to go to Snow + Rock before I go? My thinking in terms of the resort is that I have far greater scope to return to the fitter for tweaks immediately.

On the other hand, I only get one week of skiing a year. I understand that proper boot fitting is a time-consuming process, and I don't want to be pressurising myself to just get out on the mountain and possibly compromise my decision... If I go to Snow + Rock, can can spend as long as I want getting fitted and not feel like I'm eating a chunk of my ski holiday.

On top of that, while I am sure there are good (or even great) boot fitters in Val d'Isère, I don't know who they are. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop with good fitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Dero wrote: »
    Dundrum or resort?

For me its dundrum.

While you dont have slope access ( you could use sandyford) you have plenty of time to throw them on for an hour in the evening and walk around the house, sit in them and get a good feel for sore spots, then you can return to S&R for adjustments rather than ski for a week in pain come home and try remember where hurt, or worse lose out on ski time.

I'd go with Snow and Rock. Hubert works in there on Sunday's and is a very good fitter.
    It would be hard to tell too much from a day on the slopes anyway. New boots are sore, you get out the bad pressure points in the shops but they're still tight and it takes a while in them for them to feel right.

I've been out at least 4 times in Kilternan now and they're only starting to feel good now, better every time. If I tried them all day with the way they felt on day 1 and tried to do 8 hours straight in them, my feet would fall off and i'd want massive amounts of tweaking done to what is a very good fitting boot.

Heard many say that if they feel comfy from day one you have a boot that's too loose. I wouldn't want to ruin 2 days on the slopes till all feels good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

When I bought my last boots, I hired them first (been going to the same place for donkeys years so makes it easier), went through a few options and was able to try them on actual slopes with the same skis. Paid premium for the hire to get current new stock boots.

When I found what I was happy with I bought the same ones the next year - now last years stock and way cheaper.

I know this won't work for everyone but a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Thanks all.

Yeah, I think I'll go the Dundrum route, with a few sessions in Kilternan before I head off if warranted.

Dero wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Yeah, I think I'll go the Dundrum route, with a few sessions in Kilternan before I head off if warranted.

Would definitely get a few days in Kilternan first. On my first 2/3 days down, I was thinking about returning them for tweaks, glad I didn't now cause they feel like they should now. But they were certainly painful for a while.

Get the pressure points out in the shop, but when you start skiing, you'll feel more but if they were good in the shop, these should come out

Any one ever had heat molded boots remolded?
    My wife needs a bit of an adjustment to hers, I assume it just the same process as when buying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

stecleary wrote: »
    Any one ever had heat molded boots remolded?
    My wife needs a bit of an adjustment to hers, I assume it just the same process as when buying?

Not personally but I know people who've had it done. Yes it's the same process, just heat and stand in them till they cool.

(As long as they aren't the injection foam type.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm heading over to the 3 valleys at the end of February and think I'll buy my boots this time. I live in Limerick and won't be able to buy from S+R in Dundrum as even if I did, I wouldn't be able to go back to them easily looking for tweaks.

Any ideas of a ball park price for a good set of boots?

Thanks

Mine we’re about 400 with the custom foodbed but got money off to make them that price.
    I wouldn’t buy off the rack if that’s what you’re planning? If buying over there, try to get a recommendation for a fitter but be aware, they’ll be painful for a while if fitted, even if they’re a great fit there’s still some breaking in to do.

Ye could go to Hubert in S&R some Sunday. 3 of us got fitted and none of us had to go back so ye’ll probably be grand. Will need to break them in though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just FYI, you have to book if you want to go to Snow & Rock for a boot fitting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

olaola wrote: »
    Just FYI, you have to book if you want to go to Snow & Rock for a boot fitting.

My wife got a pair at the weekend in there. Really good service and spent ages with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Anyone got a metatarsal arch (the traverse arch in forefoot ie under ball of foot) support in a ski boot before?

My cousin needs one. Got a great fitting in S&R dundrum, I only noticed his dropped arch after this, while on our ski trip.

Boots and fit were good, but think this will help.

Don't know if such product exists. He is going to ask his podiatrist, she is also a skier.

kal7 wrote: »
    Anyone got a metatarsal arch (the traverse arch in forefoot ie under ball of foot) support in a ski boot before?

My cousin needs one. Got a great fitting in S&R dundrum, I only noticed his dropped arch after this, while on our ski trip.

Boots and fit were good, but think this will help.

Don't know if such product exists. He is going to ask his podiatrist, she is also a skier.

Not sure but s&r do a custom mould liner which is fantastic. I use arch supports if I’m wearing non supportive or very flat footwear. The custom ones are excellent so might do the trick for individual issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aconnor

Can somebody explain what is a footbed in a ski boot? Do they come in a new boot anyway or are they an extra bit you put in like an insole in your shoe.
    If they are an extra item, what are they for?

they are an insole. some boots come with them some don't, well worth getting a pair when getting boots, they fill all the extra space in the boot resulting in an even better fit

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aconnor

Thanks for that. The boots I have are a fairly good fit anyway. The Salomon ones that are heat-moulded around your foot. The boot fitter gave me a size that fitted my heel properly, then stretched the front part wide enough to fit my caveman foot. Only a small bit at a time though, 3 days in a row, so they are not too big. The opposite of what I normally have to do when buying shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Hi,

why do professional ski racers have what looks to be power strap loose on boot in race?

Read one internet article that said a tight done power strap actually stops ankle flexion. Complicated anatomy reasons, looked like a properly scholarly one.

THE SHOCKING TRUTH ABOUT POWER STRAPS | The Skier's ...
    https://skimoves.me/2015/02/13/the-shocking-truth-about-power-straps/

Should you use strap to get into boot then loose it??

Seem strange to me, might try and see, and would be contradicted by use of strong elastic band used by many racers.

No anything like a pro myself, but if ankle bend reduced would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Snow and Rock still the go to place for ski boots. Have problems most years with rental boots, usually too tight on my bigger foot in terms of width and the foot ends up numb. Last year I would say I actually damaged the nerve in my foot as it took 4 months for the vague pins/needles to go out of the outside of my foot from the boot(tried going back to the ski rental place 3 times but no success in fixing the problem.)
    Would like to buy at this stage but just paranoid I'll end up with the same problems.

I don’t think there are many better alternatives in Ireland. I had boots and moulded insoles fitted there 3 years ago and it’s the best thing I’ve done. Boots are perfect fit for me and all day comfort.
    They give a guarantee that they’ll tweak them if not correct etc. Trouble is in Ireland that you’ve got to go on holiday to try them so it’s potentially a week of ill fitting boots until you can tweak them again. I suppose if you buy them at a resort you can try them for a few hours and have them altered on the spot if you have a problem.
    Snow and rock worked out really well for me and I love my boots. (use a powerstrap them now too).
    The cant on one of mine could probably do with some fine tuning but haven’t gotten round to that yet.
    I bought my skis on resort last year though which I would recommend as I tested about 5 pairs over 3/4 days. Good luck with your boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Quick question lest someone knows the answer.

I am hiring for a ski holiday this year (Portes du Soleil) as are my family. From bitter experience for one family member years ago we do place a big premium on comfortable shoes. Obviously when hiring all you are offered is beginner / intermediate / advanced with the price going up as the standard goes up. But does that mean the beginner boots are basic, the intermediates better and the advanced best? I appreciate the type of skis you give to each standard must vary but can you get, say, beginner skis on advanced boots or does it work like that? Happy to pay extra for comfortable boots basically without then getting the wrong skis....

I’m not sure if everywhere is the same but I think the boots are pretty much the same it’s the ski that changes. As in you get a lighter, softer, shorter ski in beginners package etc While renting I never got advanced boots as only hired skis but I haven’t seen anyone get a choice of boots whereas you do get a choice of skis. Think the boots are generally of decent quality particularly the bigger stores like intersport but a guy working in one told me the boots are good but the liner is a cheaper version for rental boots and that makes a huge difference.
    Everyone has different shaped feet so it’s going to be hard to get a well fitted boot by renting as they’ll be bent out of shape from everyone else’s feet.
    I only noticed how much better skiing was when I had my own. It used the wreck my head choosing skis and worrying about crappy boots. If you like skiing I’d def recommend buying some as your feet won’t grow. Hope u have a good trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Mafra wrote: »
    I’m not sure if everywhere is the same but I think the boots are pretty much the same it’s the ski that changes. As in you get a lighter, softer, shorter ski in beginners package etc While renting I never got advanced boots as only hired skis but I haven’t seen anyone get a choice of boots whereas you do get a choice of skis. Think the boots are generally of decent quality particularly the bigger stores like intersport but a guy working in one told me the boots are good but the liner is a cheaper version for rental boots and that makes a huge difference.
    Everyone has different shaped feet so it’s going to be hard to get a well fitted boot by renting as they’ll be bent out of shape from everyone else’s feet.
    I only noticed how much better skiing was when I had my own. It used the wreck my head choosing skis and worrying about crappy boots. If you like skiing I’d def recommend buying some as your feet won’t grow. Hope u have a good trip!

Many thanks. If this trip goes well and it looks like being an annual / bi-annual event then I agree it will be time to buy boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 shouchin

Quick question lest someone knows the answer.

I am hiring for a ski holiday this year (Portes du Soleil) as are my family. From bitter experience for one family member years ago we do place a big premium on comfortable shoes. Obviously when hiring all you are offered is beginner / intermediate / advanced with the price going up as the standard goes up. But does that mean the beginner boots are basic, the intermediates better and the advanced best? I appreciate the type of skis you give to each standard must vary but can you get, say, beginner skis on advanced boots or does it work like that? Happy to pay extra for comfortable boots basically without then getting the wrong skis....

I was in same boat a few years back. I used SkiHire2u and found them to have good gear to match ski ability and the benefit of bringing it you your front door and +/- sizing in case of fit issues.

Advertisement