Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PRE-NCT check worth it?

• 18-10-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last year I did a pre-NCT check (usually free of charge however I believe there is always something to fix...) previous to the NCT inspection. Some things were repaired however the first NCT inspection, there were 1 major plus 2 minor issues to be fixed. I came back to the same car repair dealer and I was charged again to fix them up. This means the car service failed to fix whatever the car required to pass the NCT inspection at once, to be charged again (including x hour). I complained to the car service and they said, "that's normal as it is impossible to guarantee that your car can pass the NCT. Pre-NCT checks the very basics). I don't understand...

My question is: is it worthy to do a pre-NCT check? I'm been thinking to go to the NCT inspection even though I know I won't pass it at first, getting the report and then asking the any car reparirment service to fix whatever the report says. For God sake, they will know what to do instead of bluffing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would think it's a waste of time, better to put it through and the test will tell you what needs replacing.

Saying that you should check every light on the car is working, all tyres are legal thread depth and wipers are not damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

I would think it's a waste of time, better to put it through and the test will tell you what needs replacing.

Saying that you should check every light on the car is working, all tyres are legal thread depth and wipers are not damaged.

Thanks. What about the door window? It doesn't scroll down. Can I pass the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Kaldo wrote: »
    Thanks. What about the door window? It doesn't scroll down. Can I pass the NCT?

Driver door is a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I always detail my Car before the NCT...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kaldo wrote: »
    usually free of charge however I believe there is always something to fix...
    They'll always find something to fix. Do the NCT, fix whatever needs fixing, fix that and when you get the NCT, then ask what the garage thinks needs fixing if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭User1998

If you brought a freshly NCT’d car to a garage for one of these ‘pre ncts’ they’d still claim that work needs to be done for it to pass the test. There a con imo. Best to just put it through the test and give the garage the fail sheet and they will only fix what needs fixing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

don't bring it they can pull out wires loosen bolts erc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

salamiii wrote: »
    don't bring it they can pull out wires loosen bolts erc

What??

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Do all your basic checks with lights, fluids and wipers, and tyres. Have a look at your brake pads and discs, you can usually see them good enough without wheel removal. Go do the test and if it fails then go to a garage or mechanic to fix the faults. I'm not sure why you say you know it will fail but you should say what is wrong so advise can be given.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

it might be worth getting your own emissions check if its an old car sohans in Trim do them .

in case yours 'fails' ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

Genuine garages will recommend you DO NOT do a pre NCT. You should check the basics, including oil, screenwash, tyres.

Be warned if you pass your NCT you still need to service your car, at minimum annual oil and filter changes but also important things like timing belts and water pump. A valid NCT typically checks practically nothing on the engine and does not verify the engine was ever serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

most decent mechanics have plenty of work without resorting to inventing it at a pre -test. The main danger is they will fix something borderline which may have passed, thus wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Not worth it, go to the test and fix whatever they ask to be fixed.

What happens if you have a pre-test then go get NCT'd and they tell you that something else needs to be repaired.

Pre-Test crowd will just say it happened afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

it might be worth getting your own emissions check if its an old car sohans in Trim do them .

in case yours 'fails' ..

It might 'pass' in these garages ... many don't even have the correct emissions test software or procedure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Waste of time in my one experience. They mentioned things that didn't fail (torn seat) and missed things that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Most of independent garages can't check the following (they have no equipment like at the NCT Centre):

- The suspension balance,
    - Emissions,
    - Brake balance,
    - Side slip, etc.

What they can check for you is also what you can do yourself, i.e.:
    - Check if all lights are working,
    - Wipers,
    - Horn,
    - Check the driver's seat,
    - Seat belts,
    - Fuel cap,
    - Spare wheel,
    - Condition of tyres,
    - Condition of pedal pads,
    - Mirrors,
    - Brake fluid, coolant and engine oil level (Sometimes transmission oil level)...

And that is about enough.

At a garage they can also easier check for exhaust leaks (you can do it yourself, but it is easier on a lift) or the condition of the brake system (You can do it yourself by taking off each wheel and inspecting the elements).

In general as mentioned by Others - waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wouldn't bother with a pre-NCT unless you've a specific concern. Just check lights and levels, remove any wheel trims and make sure all seat belts and receivers are visible. Let the NCT tell you what needs to be done. The cost of a retest will be less than a pretest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dkd21 wrote: »
    It might 'pass' in these garages ... many don't even have the correct emissions test software or procedure :rolleyes:

garage has less to gain if it 'passes' , the NCT has failed procedure on emissions many times from first hand knowledge
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

garage has less to gain if it 'passes' , the NCT has failed procedure on emissions many times from first hand knowledge
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im not suggesting the garage is duping the test to pass :confused:

What was your experiences of failed procedure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Pekarirska

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Pekarirska wrote: »

test is free but what jobs will they find?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

Whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just time the annual service with the nct in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

It may also depend on year of car and upkeeping of car on a regular basis.We had a car in for wheel bearing noise and abs sensor and had to strip bearing off car to remove the seized sensor.6" split on inner sidewall not seen 2 weeks previous visual test and other side with a 2" rip on inner side wall.I said to customer he is lucky to be alive and showed him the tyre in the boot.
    What you dont know can kill you or someone else.Your choice if getting car checked out before hand and if it is old what rust is underneath car sills body work.Metal brake pipes can be cleaned down if not too bad with slight surface rust.Bad severe rust will mean new lines fitted for safety.

Advertisement