Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reductions for IT/Apple devices for teachers

• 25-10-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I am using a Mac book air laptop ( my own personal device though) for work. I find it’s very time consuming correcting assignments on google classroom. I have an iPad which I bought in 2013 but not been using much in last few years - basically battery dead and won’t power up so looking at new iPad.

Does anybody know of any IT firm/retail shop that does any deals at all for teachers? I know of teachers not just I my school but other schools who work both in voluntary/ETB schools and approached management to see if any possibility of school going to local computer store to organize reduction added to our purchase of new devices but was told no. I cannot understand how some schools in ETBs have the best of everything regarding IT devices while we have nothing in comparison. What happened to all this money the DES promised us to help IT facilitates in schools???? I know Apple are very much into helping the education sectors - I know they help a few schools already but why are Apple in Ireland not getting on board with the DES to help more schools ?

Friends of mine who work in other sectors would not think twice about not using personal devices for work - definitely a breach of GDPR. I am hesitant of using my own personal device ( always afraid I click by accident the wrong file to upload/download by accident on my personal laptop) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

For Apple, you can get their education discount with a letter from your school (if buying in person) saying that the device is for educational purposes. Not sure what % it is but it's a help. They have an education store for shopping online, presume you have to verify your teacher status in some way. There are usually Black Friday deals in November also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://campus.ie/discounts/#14586

Looks like the discount is 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Totally agree OP...I have approached the Principal numerous times, our last P bought everyone a laptop but that was over ten years ago so all totally obsolete now, although there has been a lot of investment in IT in the school he insisted in putting a PC into each classroom rather than providing staff with laptops, the classroom PCs are used to show powerpoints (which the laptops could have done) but absolutely nothing else....we all needed to buy our own devices to prepare work in the first place. Almost everyone else in know in PP teaching has a school bought device.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

I am using a Mac book air laptop ( my own personal device though) for work. I find it’s very time consuming correcting assignments on google classroom. I have an iPad which I bought in 2013 but not been using much in last few years - basically battery dead and won’t power up so looking at new iPad.

Does anybody know of any IT firm/retail shop that does any deals at all for teachers? I know of teachers not just I my school but other schools who work both in voluntary/ETB schools and approached management to see if any possibility of school going to local computer store to organize reduction added to our purchase of new devices but was told no. I cannot understand how some schools in ETBs have the best of everything regarding IT devices while we have nothing in comparison. What happened to all this money the DES promised us to help IT facilitates in schools???? I know Apple are very much into helping the education sectors - I know they help a few schools already but why are Apple in Ireland not getting on board with the DES to help more schools ?

Friends of mine who work in other sectors would not think twice about not using personal devices for work - definitely a breach of GDPR. I am hesitant of using my own personal device ( always afraid I click by accident the wrong file to upload/download by accident on my personal laptop) .

I got the 10% discount without a letter etc a few months back with Apple education.

Advertisement