Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Trundling along in bottom gear and there are worse places to be; once you get used to it. Same as with the covid situation. Adapt or suffer... head meet brick wall ..best to turn round and lean against the wall

And I am in the safest and quietest place out here. Which means a lot. Whiling the days away here, watching drama series, knitting for sale...I send a kilo parcel to Canada every month .. well -channelled nervous twitch ;)

And outwitting my cats…

Stay safe; stay well. stay strong.. deeply thankful for you all

THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote:
    Stay safe; stay well. stay strong.. deeply thankful for you all

Thank you, keep going grace, and thank you for your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ah the old 4 hour sleeps are back.

I started following Russel Brands podcasts a while ago and a regular on his show, Gabor Mate, I found very interesting, and helps me greatly with mind management and perspective.

This one's on Covid and isolation.

https://youtu.be/uli_xqVwo9Y

Hoboo wrote:
    I started following Russel Brands podcasts a while ago and a regular on his show, Gabor Mate, I found very interesting, and helps me greatly with mind management and perspective.

I've checked in with brand a couple of times, interesting guy, very intelligent, the documentaries he done on drugs were fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi All

I have i suppose what would be called severe anxiety but having been doing really well for a good while now. But of course this never lasts and i have been diagnosed with a treatable cancer and i need an operation in a few weeks time.

I am terrified of the operation (more than the cancer) and afraid that i will be aware mid way through and not be able to tell anyone as ill be paralysed.

Has anyone been through an operation ?

No but I've been through chemotherapy, feel free to dm me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I've checked in with brand a couple of times, interesting guy, very intelligent, the documentaries he done on drugs were fantastic

Being an ex addict as you know, he knows exactly how an addict thinks and acts. And he's very very well read, open to ideas and opinions, even if he disagrees he accepts someone's view...... backgrounds and experience drive personal view so everyone's different. He is so open to everyone and respectful, because no one knows everything and there's no one fits all solution to every problem. And he loves to learn. Which is one way he manages his own battles.

He's a very interesting guy alright.

Hoboo wrote:
    Being an ex addict as you know, he knows exactly how an addict thinks and acts. And he's very very well read, open to ideas and opinions, even if he disagrees he accepts someone's view...... backgrounds and experience drive personal view so everyone's different. He is so open to everyone and respectful, because no one knows everything and there's no one fits all solution to every problem. And he loves to learn. Which is one way he manages his own battles.

It was shocking to see the ignorance of some of the professionals he interviewed for those documentaries, incredible arrogance from some of them, only an addict would truly understand that world, but they weren't having any of it. people like you, and your opinions matter in these type of situations, a text book may only be able to explain some elements of those situations, whereby you can fill in a lot of the blanks. I wish you well in your recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lilydonoghue

I was 29 Years clean and sober and I went back - nothing has really changed I’m miserable now, more than I was before. I also cannot stop as it’s in where I live and on tap

I was 29 Years clean and sober and I went back - nothing has really changed I’m miserable now, more than I was before. I also cannot stop as it’s in where I live and on tap

please get whatever help you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, this has probably been asked a lot before. But I've been reading the posts on the anxiety and depression thread throughout the years and it seems like a good place to meet people going through anxiety too. Or to make connections online.
    Is there a email support group or similar that you also use to connect with each other?

Due to circunstances you might not believe\ I am now being aggressively left without any access to a GP and what is worse, no access to the pain relief I so desperately need on a daily basis.

Too worn out and ill to fight this again. I can easily mange without a dr but not without stronger pain releif than paracetamol

ENd of my tether and can fight no more . I have done nothing wrong, I thought old folk were treated decently here!

scuse typos. I am in touch with legl folk but it it imnedaite pain relief I need,

Been on th ephone half the week and am drained.

Stay strong somehow. I am at a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

That is shocking Grace's. I wish I could help you. Is there anyone helping you, or calling on you?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Due to circunstances you might not believe\ I am now being aggressively left without any access to a GP and what is worse, no access to the pain relief I so desperately need on a daily basis.

Too worn out and ill to fight this again. I can easily mange without a dr but not without stronger pain releif than paracetamol

ENd of my tether and can fight no more . I have done nothing wrong, I thought old folk were treated decently here!

scuse typos. I am in touch with legl folk but it it imnedaite pain relief I need,

Been on th ephone half the week and am drained.

Stay strong somehow. I am at a loss

Is there anything we can do to help in anyway at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Graces7.. maybe if your pain medication was on a repeating prescription your pharmacist might be help to help you? Might be worth a try ringing them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi, this has probably been asked a lot before. But I've been reading the posts on the anxiety and depression thread throughout the years and it seems like a good place to meet people going through anxiety too. Or to make connections online.
    Is there a email support group or similar that you also use to connect with each other?

Hi there, there is a sticky at the top of the forum with groups that can communicate in various manners, email being one. Can be found here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017579 it does cover other long term illnesses so be sure to have a full read through
    As for here we just post openly on thread, i imagine some posters develop a rapport through pm however that's not an instant thing. Hope fully that information helps, anything else, just ask.

Meeoow wrote: »
    That is shocking Grace's. I wish I could help you. Is there anyone helping you, or calling on you?

It is going to legalities thankfully. we let things slide 4 years ago and now the same "health care professionals" are at it again.

If I can find pain relief I do not care! I really don't. I had an excellent GP in Kerry for four years and he even helped sort things here re medication , My new GP here had " forgotten " to send for my notes so they thought I was just seeking drugs.. When I contacted my former GP that got sorted fast.

But he is retired etc.

With M.E few drs even believe it exists. ( I think you know the feeling!) So I never ever even mention it. The pain is severe Raynauds as well as the muscle and joint pains of M.E. Needs strong pain relief.

But to leave an elderly disabled patient stranded like this. At this time of year? With no pain meds? Just thankful I am not a diabetic.

If there is any issue then you make sure no harm is done while it is sorted?

We have corresponded but they take no heed. Barbarians.

The pharmacy will not send out unless the GP allows and they have been ordered thus.

The dr involved is one there was trouble with when I was first here. This area is desperately short of GPs .

Al I can do is wait and hope the legal folk can sort it. Trying to find the right meds online to no avail. It is so upsetting and depressing.

So very very tired of it all. Headed for 80 and this! Long pain filled nights

Thanks for being there.

Is there anything we can do to help in anyway at all?

Believe me. you help by being there. I know what many of you have been through. ( and not unless you have spare pain meds! )

AL I can do is hunker down and stay safe. Wait while things are being sorted

I have a safe roof, a warm bed, my cats and knitting and youtube and boards. Which so many never have. and still writing my web log is a help

Blessings and thanks

Believe me. you help by being there. I know what many of you have been through. ( and not unless you have spare pain meds! )

AL I can do is hunker down and stay safe. Wait while things are being sorted

I have a safe roof, a warm bed, my cats and knitting and youtube and boards. Which so many never have. and still writing my web log is a help

Blessings and thanks

You're awake late/up early!

You're awake late/up early!

Still blowing a loud banshee gale out here, I will catch up when it eases.. IF it ever does

And so are you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Difficult few weeks, very emotional for no reason.

Also, I followed a local girl on YouTube who used to post very supportive vids but found out that she passed away last week. I didn't know her personally but really feel a deep loss, which is kinda strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

carzony wrote: »
    Difficult few weeks, very emotional for no reason.

Also, I followed a local girl on YouTube who used to post very supportive vids but found out that she passed away last week. I didn't know her personally but really feel a deep loss, which is kinda strange.

Your not alone, I've been the same way. I've been so down since Fri and struggling to even imagine getting on with things for the next 5 weeks.

Could u share a link or name of that girl on YouTube? Hope she didn't die by suicide. RIP.

carzony wrote:

I've experienced this strange form of grief myself, it's very unusual, but real

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I've experienced this strange form of grief myself, it's very unusual, but real

I don't think it is strange or unusual. These days of the internet we connect with maybe the deepest parts of folk that we will never meet and of course it is a very real and valid bond and of course we grieve..

Most of those I email are those I will never meet and they will be truly missed if they die. An that holds true with the folk on web sites and weblogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi all,

Would anyone have experience getting prescriptions over the phone with the GP?

I haven't been to see him in a long time, but really feel the need to begin a prescription for depression. I find it extremely difficult to talk about and don't feel I'd be able to visit in person.

I really don't agree with any kind of drugs, I don't even drink but feel anti-depressants may be necessary now.

The last time (many years ago) I literally had to be helped out of the surgery I was that upset. Very embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Hi all,

I haven't been to see him in a long time, but really feel the need to begin a prescription for depression. I find it extremely difficult to talk about and don't feel I'd be able to visit in person.

I really don't agree with any kind of drugs, I don't even drink but feel anti-depressants may be necessary now.

The last time (many years ago) I literally had to be helped out of the surgery I was that upset. Very embarrassing.

Don't think that's gonna happen. I was in a similar position to you a few weeks ago where I needed a change in script. Contacted my psych and was told by his secretary that they wouldn't do it under any circumstances without an in person appointment.

PPN2893 wrote:
    Don't think that's gonna happen. I was in a similar position to you a few weeks ago where I needed a change in script. Contacted my psych and was told by his secretary that they wouldn't do it under any circumstances without an in person appointment.

I guess it depends on certain criteria, but my own gp has prescribed me ssri's over the phone, I rang him back a few weeks ago, as the side effects were getting a bit too much, he has since left it up to myself what dosage to take, I also can get repeats over the phone. I haven't visited him in person at all during covid, thankfully there's hasn't been any need to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi all,

Since it's a GP you refer to you might just be able to start out with his supervision, perhaps a phone or email consultation would work for you both?. I understand how hard it is to attend and hope things look better for you soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

Hi all,

As you haven’t been to the GP in a good while it would be unlikely to get prescribed without a face to face. But you could ask for a phone consult and explain your difficulties and take it from there. Would you be able to talk about it easier over the phone with the GP from the comfort of your own home? But then maybe follow up with a shorter face-to-face? (You might end up paying for two consults but might be worth it).
    Whether phone or in person, I’d recommend making notes / bullet points of what you want to say (summarise your history/situation, what your concerns / thoughts are re different meds, questions re options. Or even write the GP a letter (and hand it to him to read!).
    My experience is you will need to check in with GP possibly over phone a few times over the first weeks of starting any serious meds anyway, and I would expect an initial face to face to be the best springboard for that relationship.
    Finally, you say you find it hard to talk about, and I’m not sure if that’s with anyone or just the GP, but I found talking to someone who had gone through (or is going through) similar situation to be easier, and extremely beneficial.
    Mind yourself, and well done for starting getting momentum going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Still blowing a loud banshee gale out here, I will catch up when it eases.. IF it ever does

And so are you!

Let us know Graces7 if we can help you in any way. You should not be left in pain.

Advertisement